Do Harvest Moon fans play Rune Factory?

#211337ROXPosted 11/21/2012 5:17:00 PM
I don't like the direction ToD took with farming. As long as they don't keep simplifying it to the point there is no farming and it just becomes a random JRPG with a relationship mechanic.

Don't get me wrong, I loved that game.
---
That looks like a homing shot!
3DS: 4511-0726-1828
#22ErukiaPosted 11/21/2012 6:06:46 PM
I like both, but I don't usually compare the two. Even though it's a 'Fantasy Harvest Moon' and has a farming theme, Rune Factory never really feels like it's part of Harvest Moon to me. I look at the Rune Factory series as its own separate thing, which I enjoy just as much as I enjoy the regular old Harvest Moon games.
---
"Just watch me, I'll become the God of Death once again...but right now, I need some sleep."
#23turtlebumsPosted 11/21/2012 6:13:16 PM
I dont think I even farmed on tides of destiny, grind long enough, raise your carpenterskill. make mugs and then basically set, plus the making weapons skill level. but I love them both x]
---
0345 - 0709 - 7056
#24crystalsoulsPosted 11/21/2012 7:41:28 PM
A new beginning saved old-fashioned HM for me, I'd almost completely given up on it after the last few DS games. Even for this game, as much as I love it, I kind of wish I had a barn full of monsters doing a good chunk of my farming work for me...

I like both series, but I kind of wish Harvest Moon would give us a few more shortcuts so we spent less time taking care of the farm and more time fishing/friending/mining, etc. If only I could get Aaron to pet my chickens everyday... I'd be happy with that.
---
3ds: 3050-8423-0484
#25LeBurns63Posted 11/23/2012 11:11:27 AM
crystalsouls posted...
A new beginning saved old-fashioned HM for me, I'd almost completely given up on it after the last few DS games. Even for this game, as much as I love it, I kind of wish I had a barn full of monsters doing a good chunk of my farming work for me...

I like both series, but I kind of wish Harvest Moon would give us a few more shortcuts so we spent less time taking care of the farm and more time fishing/friending/mining, etc. If only I could get Aaron to pet my chickens everyday... I'd be happy with that.

I really miss having the monsters do the work for me in the field also. Gave me more time to mine and hunt trophies.
---
I'm glad your opinion differs from mine. What a boring place this world would be if it didn't.
#26TerminysPosted 11/23/2012 11:53:53 AM
HM64, FoMT, and MM were my favorite games, but after that, the games lost their flavor for me and became tedious and felt like they didn't have much effort put into them at all. I tried out RF1 in 2007 and ever since then I've been in love with the series.

I like all the Rune Factory games (Frontier being my favorite, despite its quirks), but I'm glad I decided to give Harvest Moon another try, because this game has impressed me so far.

However, I think Rune Factory has made a better impression on me and I'll always buy it over a Harvest Moon game now. The console titles always feel so awesome in the end and have great music (including the constant "cameo" of the original boss theme). Frontier and RF3 (and ToD to an extent) are to date some of the few modern games to make me shed a tear for nostalgia's sake.

I got a bit sidetracked.
#27zodiartsPosted 11/23/2012 12:30:43 PM
I think HM still need alot of improvement if it want to be compared with RF

RF simply beats HM almost in everything..
Voice acting, better music, tons of cut scene, better story, character bacground, better chara design, town design, etc
I couldnt ask for more from RF? ^^
#28Dyingangel246Posted 11/23/2012 12:43:12 PM
I love both games. I love the easiness of HM and the fact that there are no dungeons or anything like that you have to worry about. I like that RF has all the farming and relationships that HM does but with the added twist of monsters and dungeons and different weapons, I've always liked that about games. I like how HM is something i can play when i'm just looking to have fun and not looking for a huge challenge. My first HM game was AP and i loved it!
---
3ds FC: 4553-9976-3021
#29Kuma_tora_Posted 11/23/2012 12:45:40 PM
I love Rune Factory but am not a fan of how they are focusing more on the RPG elements than the farming. Oceans was especially disappointing in the farming elements, especially how you could magically make sprouts with a magic wand.
---
PSN: Kuma_tora_ Ragnarok Odyssey
3DS FC: Kuma 1762-4024-3818 Harvest Moon
#30Bear_in_ActionPosted 11/23/2012 1:58:36 PM
I'm relatively new to both series in comparison to the veterans here. The only Rune Factory I've played is RF 3 on the DS, and I was instantly hooked.
I loved it so much that I tracked down Frontier on the Wii, which I've heard from fans that it's arguably the best in the series, aside from that one mechanism (can't remember the name of it) that everyone seems to hate.

On the other hand, I've tried multiple Harvest Moon games on the DS, but none of them enticed me to last through the first year. I really don't like the sleep = save mechanism, it's unnecessarily stressful in games like this.

Until this one.
I'll argue that this is just as good as RF 3, although I prefer the art style in RF, I'm liking ANB so much that it keeps me up till 4am for the past few days.

Overall, I love RF more, but this is a very welcomed addition.