Right now I have 2 cats, one at a half heart and one with none. I read somewhere that it doesn't matter if it's a cat or a dog, if you have 2, one will take care of your livestock and the other will take care of your chickens. So here are my questions:
1. When (at what heart level) will my pets begin helping me? Do I get to choose which animals they take care of?
2. At full hearts, how many animals will one pet take care of?
3. And what does taking care of entail exactly? Is it like the previous HM games where they take out and bring in animals during good weather? If so, then what's the point of having them and dealing with the cut scenes if you have the farm bell?
4. If I put a pet in my house, under the box where it says whether the pet is helping or not, it says "Help: At home." Is it serving any purpose being there, or does it just mean that it won't take care of any animals if it's staying in my house?
Actually, either will take care of either type of animal. You can set them to take care of what you want.
1. They can help from the get-go, and yes you can choose. Select the book inside the pet house, click on the animal's portrait, and choose "help with animals" or "help with chickens" for each.
2. Not sure, honestly.
3. Yes, they take the animals out and bring them in in good weather. I guess the point to having them is a) not everyone's going to befriend Neil (or read the spoilers) and get the blueprints, or it might take them longer to get the materials. Plus even though I have both, I let my pets take care of the animals, because it's automatic and I don't have to worry about forgetting to either put them out or put them in.
4. I think if you put a pet in your house, it's just... there. For decoration, and all. Just to have it. Not sure if it has any benefit, but I doubt it. (Although you could always move it back out.)