Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Demo Impressions (unbiased)

#1abit2therightPosted 7/29/2012 9:32:57 AM
Hello everyone! My name is Adam and this is my first attempt of a semi-review so far of the demo for T:FoC.

History:
I have played the original, Transformers: War for Cybertron extensively during my time with the game and my gamertag is the following: abit2theright (please add me so we can play if you want!).

Initial Impressions:
After reading some of the other impressions from Gamespot, I have to say I agree/disagree with what I've seen based off playing the game. Firstly, YES, the game is very similar to the first installment. In fact, its so similar (the feel), it makes me wonder if this was more of a cosmetic upgrade than anything else (more on this subject later). Because of the above statement, veterans will find the game very similar to the first, along with several things missing: killstreaks included. This part I agree with what is being said on the boards, as the "skill" factor is decreased from previous installments. Another complaint I saw was about the balancing; however I dismiss this as the game was in the BETA stage plus they can always tweak classes after launch.

Improvements:
So far the biggest (if only) improvement I have seen is in the graphical cosmetics. A great amount of detail was put into every aspect of the presentation down to the individual gears on each robot. One area I would like to point out is the customization aspect: a great example of the amount of work that went into this improvement can be found on the WEAPONS themselves. Looking at the previous installment, you can tell the detail was not there like this game (much appreciated).

Still the same:
The levels themselves look great, however this was to be expected. However I feel let down here as the levels look identical to the previous game. Something I would like to have seen would be elements that move within the level (I say this because technically each fight should have the intensity of the fantastic single-player campaign of BOTH games). The mechanics are largely left untouched in the "feel" aspect. The feeling of moving a mech is the same as it was before, for good or bad.

Final Impressions:
So far I would still say this is well worth the money; everything from the customization down to the cosmetics are a huge plus to a game that was not broken to begin with. Yes, the game has its flaws, however as far as the title goes, this is still going to be a fantastic game!

Thank you all for reading, I know this missed key features, but if you liked it, please let me know and if you have any other questions about areas so far that you would like covered, please let me know!

-Adam
#2ozzyman314Posted 7/29/2012 9:41:47 AM
I agree.

It's a shame(but also bit hilarious) that some people can't understand that what we have is only a demo. As people are already ripping on things like (as you said) class balancing. Of course High will fix the major flaws in the game before it's released. As is the point of this demo.
---
Loading Signature.............
#3abit2theright(Topic Creator)Posted 7/29/2012 10:00:39 AM
ozzyman314 posted...
I agree.

It's a shame(but also bit hilarious) that some people can't understand that what we have is only a demo. As people are already ripping on things like (as you said) class balancing. Of course High will fix the major flaws in the game before it's released. As is the point of this demo.

You are correct, of which is the purpose of all demos! I would also like to add that I found there was not nearly the amount of slow down I thought would happen when lots of action is going on simultaneously on the screen as usually is the case for a demo.
#4zero3384Posted 7/29/2012 10:45:40 AM
I enjoyed the demo...the single player levels were pretty awesome....I said it before, I had waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much fun as Vortex...Bumblebee...he's the tutorial, so not much to say there

and I agree with the graphics...this game's graphics are awesome, much better then WFC....and the gun designs are cool also.....the scrapmaker left me a little depressed cosmetically though, I liked the original look for it

And my only current complaint with the customization is that theres no color palate...i want to use a color palate rather then selecting a pre-set color scheme

Other then that...with some tweaks before launch....I am picking this up day 1 (hell I already paid it off and took a day off from work on the 21st of august)
---
---
GT: Zerofoxy3384
#5abit2theright(Topic Creator)Posted 7/29/2012 10:49:08 AM
zero3384 posted...
I enjoyed the demo...the single player levels were pretty awesome....I said it before, I had waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much fun as Vortex...Bumblebee...he's the tutorial, so not much to say there

and I agree with the graphics...this game's graphics are awesome, much better then WFC....and the gun designs are cool also.....the scrapmaker left me a little depressed cosmetically though, I liked the original look for it

And my only current complaint with the customization is that theres no color palate...i want to use a color palate rather then selecting a pre-set color scheme

Other then that...with some tweaks before launch....I am picking this up day 1 (hell I already paid it off and took a day off from work on the 21st of august)
---

Thank you for reading! I'm glad others agree about the substantial graphics improvements. I played both single player missions and came away impressed, however this was more impressive in the sense that they did not change the great formula from the previous installment!
#6WakeUpMrBubblesPosted 7/29/2012 10:59:44 AM
There's no such thing as an unbiased opinion. And you guys are kidding yourselves. Just because what we have now is a demo doesn't mean that anything and everything is subject to change within a month. Most of the gripes people have will not be addressed.

If you love it, good for you, but people disatisfied with the demo in a major way aren't silly to think they ought to take a pass on the game. They arent going to redesign the game mechanics in a month.
---
GT: WakeUpMrBubbles
#7Drag_ZEROPosted 7/29/2012 12:01:17 PM
Bubbles is right; this is a demo, not an alpha or beta (back before betas were more than glorified demos anyway). The demo is a less polished version of the final game as its nothing more than an old build; so things like graphics, animations, glitches, lag, etc, THOSE can, will be, or maybe are already patched. But major changes to mechanics, or adding in things like the barrel roll in the jet, are not going to happen.
#8Octaivian_RexPosted 7/29/2012 12:47:34 PM
THOSE can, will be, or maybe are already patched. But major changes to mechanics, or adding in things like the barrel roll in the jet, are not going to happen.

Indeed. I'm not worried about weapons balancing but I am worried that we are MISSING entire vital mechanics present in the previous installation of this series.
---
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/4489/actuallyworks.gif