Hard difficulty help!

#1neverpodPosted 10/28/2012 1:06:53 PM
I'm new to this series but I always choose Hard difficulty for strategy games. The difficulty was fine so far (minimum lost) until I ran into the necromancer in the cave after dragon's tooth quest. I feel like my viking is done here... Cleared the map completely, bought all the best artifacts, tried all the combination of units that make sense to me and still can't defeat him. I have to focus on those ancient vampires before my army get too weak and unable to deal 70ish damage in 1 turn then there's too many Ghosts and Zombies to deal with.

As a viking, do I have to rely on no-scaling Viking Vortex? 70-80 dmg per turn + scrolls that I never use since the beginning of the game seems to fall short in this fight. I could imagine Skald with bigger army and Soothsayer with more nukes would be manageable but Viking has nothing to ease this fight.

Am I playing this wrong? Any suggestion would be appreciated.
#2DBogatzPosted 10/28/2012 1:38:32 PM
What troops are you using? I just beat him with a Warrior on Hard and I think I only lost a dozen troops or so.

1. Spam the Rage skill every turn where it will do maximum damage.
2. Don't approach his troops - let them come to you. Zombies, even with their dash, are slow, and he has a bunch of small stacks of everything. Gang up on whatever makes it to you first.
3. Make use of all your troops abilities - make sure you're using berserk on your berserkers for example, and using Runes.
4. You might want to consider not worrying about the Vamps, unless there's a really big stack. They're resilient (good D and heal to full at the start of their turn) but they don't deal a ton of damage. Alternatively, target the ones in bat form, since I think their D is weaker.
#3BladenytePosted 10/28/2012 5:39:47 PM
early on the rage skills are horribly unimpressive.. but once you get your first valkriye on your team and start unlocking a few more rage skills, they are freaking amazing.
---
PSN ID: Riftweaver81
I cannot be caged. I cannot be controlled. Understand this as you die, ever pathetic, ever fools-Jon Irenicus BG2
#4tsluPosted 10/28/2012 6:28:42 PM
make sure u are stocking ur troops if u take losses.
#5LordGorbagPosted 10/28/2012 11:28:01 PM
One difference on Hard difficulty, that's not mentioned in the manual is that all of the 'hidden' treasures are revealed on your map with Gold stars. There is a LOT of hidden treasure on the first island that could be easy to miss if you are on Hard. I did find some decent treasure, like a Regalia that allows +3 attack in the day, and +1 Morale during day time. In general, try not to fight Undead during the day or in graveyards.

In this series, there are some difficult battles that can be challenging on average difficulty.

As far as tactics, lately I've become a fan of runes. The Luck Rune frequently allows a second attack for your vikings, so it's pretty nice. By now, you should have 1 or 2 Rune achievements too.

From your comments, I'm guessing you're not playing a Mage. Make sure you're at full force when you fight, I frequently have to add Slingers.

If you have the healing spell, it can be used as an attack on Undead as well and don't ignore spells like slow,

I'm not sure, but you "might" be able to get a boat before this battle. That would help too..

Good luck!
#6neverpod(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2012 3:23:57 AM
Nvm, I thought the boss would replenish his army after I fail but he end up with 10ish skelly left, a cheesy win but whatever. Getting bored of spamming Vortex all day. When will I get other rage spells? (Actually made a new Skald and consider switching since he has songs and easier access to spells.

Thanks for the advice.
#7BladenytePosted 10/29/2012 9:54:26 AM
you wont get access to more rage abilities till you get your first valkriye (the special person, not the combat unit riding the bear)

i think i got mine at like late island 2 or 3? the quest involved sending me up to the top of a mountain to find a temple or something. but i didnt realize that so i ended up clearing most of that and the next island before i found out what i was suppose to do. so i could have gotten it a lot earlier lol
---
PSN ID: Riftweaver81
I cannot be caged. I cannot be controlled. Understand this as you die, ever pathetic, ever fools-Jon Irenicus BG2
#8AerendirPosted 11/10/2012 4:33:11 PM
neverpod posted...
I'm new to this series but I always choose Hard difficulty for strategy games. The difficulty was fine so far (minimum lost) until I ran into the necromancer in the cave after dragon's tooth quest. I feel like my viking is done here... Cleared the map completely, bought all the best artifacts, tried all the combination of units that make sense to me and still can't defeat him. I have to focus on those ancient vampires before my army get too weak and unable to deal 70ish damage in 1 turn then there's too many Ghosts and Zombies to deal with.

As a viking, do I have to rely on no-scaling Viking Vortex? 70-80 dmg per turn + scrolls that I never use since the beginning of the game seems to fall short in this fight. I could imagine Skald with bigger army and Soothsayer with more nukes would be manageable but Viking has nothing to ease this fight.

Am I playing this wrong? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Same here,i'm using the Mage on Hard difficulty too,my unit are Berserker,Viking,Axe Man,Shootsayer, so since they are all humans the more will be positive and all the units will get some bonus,but the stupid thing to me is,that i've cleared all the area,but the Necromancer is lvl 10 and i'm lvl 5 .... WTF is that ,kinda idiot to me =) What can i do...
#9Lord of NightmaresPosted 11/12/2012 4:26:30 AM
Those playing on Hard and Impossible are probably going to be tearing their hair when they reach the final series of battles.

The final boss itself is actually pretty easy, but the battles right beforehand force you to assume command of specific units other than your main army, and they may seem woefully underpowered as compared to what you have already amassed.