Other Sonic games?

#1ImrainaPosted 3/20/2012 6:27:45 AM
So, I just picked up Sonic Generations recently, and I gotta say, I've never been a big fan of Sonic, but I really enjoyed the game. It did feel a bit short, though... So I'm interesting in checking out other games from the franchise and since there are lots, what would you recommend? PC, PS2, DS and anything that can be emulated well on the PC.

I mostly enjoyed speeding ahead (almost) without a worry in the world in modern Sonic stages, but I don't think any Sonic game released till now plays similar without being a complete or partial disaster?
#2Phantom_NookPosted 3/22/2012 9:28:49 AM
The only 3D Sonic games that play like Modern Sonic in this game are Sonic Unleashed and Colors, neither of which have a PC version. Unleashed has a PS2 version, but it's not a good game. I do know that Sonic Adventure DX and Sonic Heroes have PC versions, and I still enjoy both of those. Another thing you could get on PS2 is Sonic Mega Collection Plus, which has all of the Genesis titles plus a few others.

As for DS, you have the Rush games and another version of Sonic Colors. I haven't played Colors DS, but I hear they have improved over Rush and Rush Adventure. There is also Sonic Chronicles, an RPG, but I do not think it's a good game at all.
---
GT: Tommy XD001
3DS FC: 4682-8954-0442
#3roo10158Posted 3/22/2012 10:26:33 PM
If you have a Wii, you can get all of the sonic games up till Sonic 0Sux with Mega Collection, Gems Collection, SADX, SA2B, Heroes, and Shadow. Yes, they are GCN titles, but you can play GCN on the Wii.

Mega Collection is on the PS2, as well as a VERY VERY bad port of Heroes, and Shadow.

Mega Collection gives you:
Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
And some spin offs

Gems collection gives you:
Sonic CD
And some spin offs
---
I Game, Therefore I am
#4Rodni_DementalPosted 4/1/2012 8:50:06 PM
If you have a PC well, Sonic Adventure DX pc version might be fairly enjoyable unless it's a bit outdated for you.

Sonic Adventure 2 Dreamcast can actually be emulated perfectly on PC... shh. Most people think this is one of the greatest 3D Sonic games but views differ.

Sonic Rush is good for DS and has the same boost features as modern games do, it's sequel is a bit more complicated but still functions in a similar way to the original Rush. And Colours DS is pretty much an almost perfected Rush gameplay style although might be a bit easier and doesn't really throw traps at you as brutally as the other DS games.

If you have a 3DS there's the alternate version of Sonic Generations which has completely different Levels and Bosses to the PC/Console versions.

If you don't have a Wii it's difficult to play Sonic Colours which is the most similar to Sonic Generations. Sonic Generations modern gameplay is based off Sonic Colours and daytime stages in Sonic Unleashed. If you have a 360 or PS3 then Sonic Unleashed could be a good choice as it pretty much started the 'rush ahead really fast gameplay' that you mentioned in relation to this game. I almost forgot to mention the Warehog but personally I think it's just people not liking the character, put knuckles in the Warehog's gameplay and no one would have noticed a thing.

The consoles also have Sonic 4 which is a great game unless you hold the original 3 as the holy grail of gaming.

Steam on PC has a vast number of Sonic games available now including all the genesis games and even the new Sonic CD although most people know these can also easily be emulated.

If all else fails you should just play Sonic 3 and Knuckles.
---
My music: myspace.com/jeromebartlesmusic
#5Wario_manPosted 4/3/2012 6:39:26 AM
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (various consoles)
Sonic 3 and Knuckles (various consoles)
Sonic Advance (GBA)
Sonic Advance 2 (GBA)
Sonic Advance 3 (GBA)
And if you're morbidly curious, Sonic Heroes (Xbox, PC, PS2 and Gamecube)
There's Sonic Adventure 2 if you're even more morbidly curious (Dreamcast and Gamecube)
---
Respect isn't learned, it's earned.
#6roo10158Posted 4/3/2012 9:20:36 PM
Wario_man posted...

And if you're morbidly curious, Sonic Heroes

Just do NOT get the PS2 version
---
I Game, Therefore I am
#7Wario_manPosted 4/4/2012 9:00:33 AM
^ Right. Gamecube is usually the best when it comes to multiplat Sonic games from that era though the PC version is good for Heroes as you can download cool things to mess with the game like a Team Editor and whatnot.
---
First I'll get the treasure, and then I'll get you.
#8craelonPosted 4/13/2012 12:47:42 AM(edited)
If you like Sonic Generations then you'll probably like Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Colors. Sonic Generations is perfected game mechanics developed from the other two that came before it. Also, the werehog is not as bad as what people make it out to be. Annoying? Yes. Gamebreaking and glitchy? No.
---
I declare this post a VICTORY ( ^-^ )v
#9Imraina(Topic Creator)Posted 4/15/2012 12:00:21 PM
Whew, I can finally get back to this topic, as my computer has finally been fixed...

When I was bored from the lack of a computer I picked up Sonic Rush Adventure for my DS and gotta say, it's pretty damn fun. I'll probably be picking up Colors DS after that. Funny, I remember playing Heroes (yes, on the PC) some time ago, but I stopped at some point, I'm not even sure why.

I probably won't be able to get a Wii any time soon (heh), but I could always try emulating it on the PC - we'll see how well this'll work, because to be honest, yes, the Wii games are the ones I'm most interested in, seeing as they're most similar to modern Sonic stages from Generations, from what I saw xD
#10roo10158Posted 4/19/2012 6:14:48 PM
craelon posted...
Also, the werehog is not as bad as what people make it out to be. Annoying? Yes. Gamebreaking and glitchy? No.

being bug and glitch free does not mean that s*** known as the Werehog isn't s***
---
about me: Southern Baptist. I am also a big fan of: Mario, Sonic, Pokemon, Portal, NFS, Ace Combat, Uncharted. I like the iMac, iPhone, and even some Androids.