ATTN: Good pitchers

#1randy_123rPosted 5/23/2012 7:10:47 PM
What's your usual strategy that works? How do you go about getting a strikeout? Do you change it up depending on the batter? Do you ever let the catcher call the pitch for you?

Please, tell me. My pitching isn't too bad but I'm not getting strikeouts.
---
GT: Saint Muzik
http://i42.tinypic.com/2j5ndxz.gif http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o103/Flow05/hmm.jpg
#2vsalinas005Posted 5/23/2012 7:38:45 PM
I try to change it up frequently, but if I'm ahead 0-2, I tend to go high out of the zone with a fastball. Rest of the time, I either pound the corners or fluff a breaking ball in/out of the zone.
#3BJaco0678Posted 5/23/2012 7:57:19 PM
nothing but corners and never pitch the same sequence to back to back batters or to the same guy twice in a row. i can strike out Bautista with a high fastball in the first at bat and not throw him a fastball the next time up and i can guarantee he'll strike out swinging early and high at a 2 strike changup low and away. also with an 0-2 count never, and i mean NEVER, pitch in the zone. can't count the number of times i've caught someone swinging at a pitch way outside on 0-2.
---
PSN: The83RedBull
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed 3 times out of 10 and be considered a good performer -Ted Williams G.O.A.T.
#4Legacy5Posted 5/24/2012 7:25:01 AM
i normally keep the ball low in the zone and when im trying for a K i pound a pitches up and in or bounce a curve in the dirt. i also like to throw a slider running out of the zone depending on who im facing.
---
AKA Mr. Closer Bossman(Thanks JayLoC 3/15/12) PSN- beb_523
NY Mets will be World Series Champs. not changing this sig until they are. starting 2/23/10
#5randy_123r(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2012 8:31:27 AM
Awesome tips guys
---
GT: Saint Muzik
http://i42.tinypic.com/2j5ndxz.gif http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o103/Flow05/thumbsup.jpg
#6Tainted_Posted 5/27/2012 3:37:50 PM
also with an 0-2 count never, and i mean NEVER, pitch in the zone.

I disagree with this point as getting strikeouts is about deceiving the batter and throwing off his timing. Yes, much more often than not on an 0-2 count I'm throwing junk or something that could be considered a borderline strike-- but if I never threw strikes on an 0-2 count, I'm giving the batter a free ball and wasting a pitch. So, sometimes, every so often, it's a good idea to lay it in there to try and get the batter looking. You probably don't want to try this on great hitters, nor do you want to make it too good of a pitch to hit.

But most important to getting strikeouts is sequence-- how you set up that strikeout pitch. There are as many ways to do this as you can think of depending on how creative you can get with your pitch selection and location. For an example, I like to go up the ladder on guys sometimes. On a right handed batter I'll throw a backdoor two-seamer for a strike just on the outside corner, next pitch I'll throw another two-seamer inside-- maybe belt high, starting out as a strike and finishing as a ball. If that's swung at or fouled off now I'm 0-2 and I've only thrown fastballs. Now I might throw a 4-seamer high and inside definitely out of the strike zone. This is a waste pitch, but might get me a strikeout, if it's looked at or checked/fouled off, then that's okay because I've raised the batters eye-line and he has still only seen fastballs in this at bat.

Now that I'm 0-2, I've thrown only fastballs, and the batters eye is up in the strike-zone, it's a perfect time to throw a low and away change, a breaking ball, etc. for the strikeout. If that doesn't work? Well, now I'm only 1-2 and I've got plenty of options. I could throw another 2-seamer inside, I could try and backdoor him with a 2-seamer to get him looking if I think he may be expecting another ball, etc.

It's just a mind game trying to throw off the batter and screw with his timing. Just don't out-think yourself, but especially don't fall into patterns as the AI will pick up on it. Be unpredictable, mix up your pitches, and don't be afraid to throw get me over breaking balls on 0-0 counts to get ahead with something other than a fastball especially on weaker hitters.
---
SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: The preceding post is tainted.
#7bwebber17Posted 5/28/2012 7:43:07 PM
First thing I can tell you is don't be afraid to walk batters every now and then. I was in the zone too much before (still kinda now) and I kept getting creamed.