I posted a review.

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Katawa Shoujo
  3. I posted a review.
3 years ago#1
http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/650003-katawa-shoujo/reviews/review-149701

Probably won't make any friends on this board in particular since it's a low score in a sea of high scores, but figured I'd post about it anyway, so I know whether anybody reads it and can explain myself if need be. Keep it in my AMP/tracked topics and all that, you know?
3 years ago#2
It's hard to take someone seriously when they dish out 1s in categories like it's no biggie. I can respect someone thinking Katawa is crap, but such low scores imply that this game would be among the worst games made. If this is a 2/10 overall, I wonder how you'd rate the vast majority of indie games, considering a lot of those are offensively bad. Not to mention, if something is genuinely that terrible then nobody would spend the time to actually play through it.

Personally, I think your review would be completely fine if you removed the numbers, all it does is make you look like an anti-fanboy.
---
Long days and pleasant nights.
3 years ago#3
Honestly I see where your coming from... I've never played any other VN's. So I wouldn't know where KS sits among the others, but I heard this wasn't as much of a hentai as many other games are... so I played this one. Loved it.
---
"Weep for yourself my man you'll never be what is in your heart. Weep Little Lion Man you're not as brave as you were at the start."
3 years ago#4
aak57 posted...
Not to mention, if something is genuinely that terrible then nobody would spend the time to actually play through it.

I did exactly that, so I could write a fair review without feeling like a jerk for rating it without playing all of it. Anyway, I was actually going to rate it a 1/10 overall, but the GameFAQs rating system puts 1 as unplayable, 2 as terrible, and 3 as merely "bad". I think Katawa Shoujo is a bit more than bad, so I gave it a 2 overall.

I'm not an anti-fangirl, just someone who wants to give a fair review of something that I think doesn't deserve the praise it gets. I admit that I wouldn't have even started writing a review if I didn't think the game was too highly-rated, but I did my best to keep an open mind and not go into writing it with a bad score already cemented in my mind.
3 years ago#5
"There is no big villain or problem to struggle against. "

*sigh* I stopped reading at this point because this alone proves you're either tolling or you don't understand what the point of this game is.

I leave everything else to the other posters as I'd be here for two hours if I went point by point what's wrong with your review.

And it's not about you not liking the game, it's how your reasons are ridiculous. Like needing some sort of villain in a romance story.
---
George Carlin~ Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist.
My Father~ Failure is ALWAYS an option... but giving up is not.
3 years ago#6
Really good games usually have at least one or two crap reviews on site amongst the seas of 9 and 10s, while games that have just 9s and 10s tend to be obscure stuff that appeal to a few people and completely shut out the rest of the world. Thank you for taking the step to convince other people that this game is good enough that there are actually trolls taking their time to do their stuff on this.

As for my actual opinion the review: I'm playing a game about managing a city, but there's no gore and carnage of me blasting everything to bits! What a bad game!
---
If declaring my opinion is akin to declaring war, then war I shall declare on the so-called veterans.
3 years ago#7
majesticmystic posted...
Thank you for taking the step to convince other people that this game is good enough that there are actually trolls taking their time to do their stuff on this.

Actually, I was trying to convince other people that this game isn't that good. That's why I rated it poorly. I also don't really appreciate your implication that I'm a troll, though, since I'm a very slow writer and it actually took me a while and some dedication to write a 1200+ word review. Could you be a bit more kind, please?
3 years ago#8
And besides, just because you disliked it doesn't change the fact that quite a few other people really enjoyed it. You are entitled to your opinion... unless you live in a fascist state that moniters your activity on the net. Then you might be axed. xD
---
"Weep for yourself my man you'll never be what is in your heart. Weep Little Lion Man you're not as brave as you were at the start."
3 years ago#9
SpecterVonBaren posted...
"There is no big villain or problem to struggle against. "

*sigh* I stopped reading at this point because this alone proves you're either tolling or you don't understand what the point of this game is.

I leave everything else to the other posters as I'd be here for two hours if I went point by point what's wrong with your review.

And it's not about you not liking the game, it's how your reasons are ridiculous. Like needing some sort of villain in a romance story.

Not just a villain. A conflict, something to drive the story along besides that. There's no central, unifying theme between each route, just minor situational conflicts for each.
3 years ago#10
I seen your comments earlier and what you wanted to work on to turn into a review. I find it impossible to take a review like this seriously because it feels like it reeks with bias in the sense that it sounds like you tried Katawa Shoujo without ever giving it a chance (and that's even if you read all stories). Some are arguments doesn't make much sense in the sense that you complain about something that has no relevance to the genre even though you said you read other visual novels.

No sound? So what? Not everyone cares about this. Some people just wants to read and follow the story. You don't need voice acting to carry a good story. Some of your complaints doesn't really add-up due to a lack of knowledge of the thing and that's coming from an individual who didn't know about Katawa Shoujo until it was released. No resolutions? Did we read different stories?

I would also kindly advice you to reconsider your definition of conflict because there definitely was some. It doesn't need to be a fight or something of the sort to qualify as conflict.

---
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue. (This topic has been eaten)
  1. Boards
  2. Katawa Shoujo
  3. I posted a review.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived