Just finished KS... finally (spoilers)

#1Yo_D_oYPosted 2/13/2013 12:43:54 AM
I downloaded this game when it was first released and it's taken me this long to complete it. I enjoyed it for the most part. At first, I was completely enthralled. But I ended completely disappointed.

Kenji's route started me off. I started to jump from one character to another and I was trying to go for I think Hanako and I guess I was too negative to all the other girls. Nonetheless, it was a wonderful Act 1 bad end overall.

Shizune was my first pursuant and was my personal favorite. Firsts tend to be for me in romance VNs for whatever reason. Still, the story was very solid and I really thought Misha translating to him learning sign language bit by bit was very well done. This route, imo, is under rated.

Next was Hanako/Lily. I enjoyed Lily's for the most part, but she's not really my type. Hanako was fun, but I really got turned off quick by her overly-shyness. Her good end made up for it.

Emi's route was... Emi's route...

Rin's route was my last and kind of the reason why I want to make this topic. I left Rin for last thinking I'm leaving the best for last... but OMG it was such a drag.

WAY too awkward. So Rin is an autistic introvert. I got it the first time! No need to describe it with superfluous words every time Rin says anything. The only thing it did well was the choices, the impact the neutral ending had, and special effects.

They should have reduced all that unnecessary narration and replaced it with either nothing or dialogue. I caught myself spacing out and skipping text, and me being me I need to read it all carefully so I scroll back up to read where I left off.

Hisao seemed to hate the art club and was only there to be close to Rin. Same with the art gallery. I mean, Hisao could have gradually become a better artist and start to enjoy the art club...

The good end didn't feel good to me. It was good that Rin felt better, but I don't believe it was healthy enough to justify a good end just yet.

The bad end was nothing more than Hisao getting super mad and well... that's about it.

As a novice VN writer, the Rin route is an example of writing I need to avoid. It had SO much potential and I'm sure it works with many people, but it just didn't for me.
---
To most Christians, the bible is like a software license. They don't read it. They just scroll to the bottom and click 'i agree'
#2VampLordAdamaruPosted 2/13/2013 8:12:38 AM
I loved all the good routes except Rin. I agree with you on her route. Utterly boring, and didn't do anything for me. I think her route is overrated, plain and simple. Still need to do the neutral and bad endings for everyone but Shizune.

And I agree on Shizune being underrated. She's my favorite also, especially since she was my first blind playthrough. As I said, though, I liked all the good routes EXCEPT Rin's...
---
Founder - IRDC AND Fluffy the Friendly Deathclaw Fanclub
ULCE#: 9,426 of 53,160; Misty is mine!
#3Art Of DrowningPosted 2/16/2013 7:21:01 AM
Yo_D_oY posted...
Rin's route was my last and kind of the reason why I want to make this topic. I left Rin for last thinking I'm leaving the best for last... but OMG it was such a drag.

WAY too awkward. So Rin is an autistic introvert. I got it the first time! No need to describe it with superfluous words every time Rin says anything. The only thing it did well was the choices, the impact the neutral ending had, and special effects.

*snip*

As a novice VN writer, the Rin route is an example of writing I need to avoid. It had SO much potential and I'm sure it works with many people, but it just didn't for me.

I see exactly what you mean and I felt the same way. However, I do not think it is right to throw this into "bad writing". In fact, I think it is very good writing.

Everything we disliked about this route is kind of necessary. You need to look at Rin's route with less emphasis on her lack of arms and more emphasis on her aspergers syndrome. I know you said that you understand it, but here is the point I believe you missed.

In order to become close to Rin, you must be able to tolerate her inability to express herself. Tolerate her often random ramblings and tolerate her lack of expected responses and understanding to the norms. The fact that we find it a drag is natural and in so many ways, very honest to how it would be.

Hisao has hinted at this repeatedly throughout the route but he often doesn't quite grasp it enough to stick with it. Hence, in the bad ending, he gets angry. He feels its partly Rin's fault for not expressing herself. This is nonsense. Its like telling Lilly to open her eyes and look around her or Hisao. She cannot do this and this will not change, just as Hisao's heart is a permanent condition. The amazing and heart wrenching part of the bad ending is the Rin wants to try. She forces herself to try and change. Hisao spent a few months with Rin, not even every waking moment. He struggles with this. Rin is like this, every damn waking moment of her life. Nothing can change it. She doesn't understand why and others seem oblivious to this including teachers (which infuriates me somewhat but I digress). This isn't something you can over come by talking or by physical support and empathy. It takes long term commitment. It will wear on you.

Rin's inability to express herself properly doesn't change the fact that she has feelings. This is obvious when she starts breaking down and when her thoughts start to flip in odd ways and her reactions turn aggressive or otherwise.

I have worked with people who have similar disabilities. It is harder than you would think. To build trust and perhaps even friendship. You don't really know what they think, their expressions are often blank. You help them, but are you really helping? What is it that they want? Is what you want for them what they want? Are they even happy? When I work with these people, I must forcibly detach myself from them somewhat. Because it is simply too difficult to care for them as I would others over an extended period of time.

Rin's good ending is amazing in the fact that, despite all the problems. The struggles and the concluding fact that she will always be "alone", in her own world, that things will still be ok. But more than that. For someone who is so alienated from the world, someone who cannot express themselves nor relate to others properly it is simply amazing that despite everything, all the remaining uncertainty, mixed feelings and hardships overcome and still to come. Rin finds something that everybody wishes for and yearns for, something that many of us fail to find or find and don't even realise. In her good ending, Rin finds peace. For someone like her, the likelihood of such a thing is incredibly low and that is what makes this ending amazing in my opinion.
---
"Can you see what I see?"