I wish this were a SOCOM game with a second character

#1PiesiaPosted 4/22/2012 4:59:13 AM
This game is great with 1.67 vita fm and Zipper fixes! I've been playing for a few days and completed up to mission six with no problem -- even when the Vita goes to sleep (which is when the hang would occur before)

Now that either Sony or Zipper or both have fixed the problem where playing Unit 13 would hang your Vita, I am playing this a lot -- I think the game has a fair amount of replayability.

I * do * wish that they'd added a second support NPC like in the PSP SOCOM games. Some of these missions (mission 7, for example) seem like something that one person wouldn't be asked to do alone -- I have no experience with SWAT teams or the military, perhaps some who does could say whether or not they'd send one person out to do something like this with no immediate support.

I know you can do a second person in coop, and I know it's a game -- since it's supposedly a military organization and since the company has experience doing player + NPC games, I'm just wondering why they didn't do that here?

Best regards,

Piesia
#2sejembalmPosted 4/22/2012 5:32:11 AM
NOBODY could do these missions in real life. Sneak into enemy bases, alone with no artillery or air support, gunning down terrorists, sabotaging things, assassinating leaders, and getting out. Especially THESE enemies, cranked up to super-alertness on Turkish coffee, and with the deadly accuracy of the Egyptian Olympic Shooting Team. Having super-elite soldiers capable of doing something like this would be squandering them, sending them on such suicide missions. They work as teams, I would imagine. But gaming non-playable characters can be problematic as you must program their actions in which they do not screw up the activity of the playable character or get too much in the way. SOCOM games had this problem, but largely fixed it throughout the series.

I liked having one game-controlled teammate in SOCOM Fireteam Bravo (as opposed to the three teammates in the SOCOM PS2 games), but I would have liked having the ability to swap control of the NPC (a "Take Point" option in the game, if you would) during play. But the orders controlling the SOCOM teammate worked well enough (breach, bang and clear!), and having the ability to bring along another Unit 13 trooper would have been good, but not in all circumstances.
#3Piesia(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2012 8:27:21 AM
sejembalm posted...
NOBODY could do these missions in real life. Sneak into enemy bases, alone with no artillery or air support, gunning down terrorists, sabotaging things, assassinating leaders, and getting out. Especially THESE enemies, cranked up to super-alertness on Turkish coffee, and with the deadly accuracy of the Egyptian Olympic Shooting Team.

Yeah, I just finished today's daily challenge mission -- a stealth mission -- where at the end a helicopter overflies, and drops a rope ladder for pickup right next to the op area. Yeah, I'm sure nobody noticed, much less tried to shoot the nut holding the rotor onto the helicoptor!

Having super-elite soldiers capable of doing something like this would be squandering them, sending them on such suicide missions
Aren't these terrorists in the game absolutely amazing in their shooting abilities?

I liked having one game-controlled teammate in SOCOM Fireteam Bravo..., but I would have liked having the ability to swap control of the NPC (a "Take Point" option in the game, if you would) during play. But the orders controlling the SOCOM teammate worked well enough (breach, bang and clear!), and having the ability to bring along another Unit 13 trooper would have been good, but not in all circumstances.

Yes, exactly, even the ability to just issue a few orders ("Cover me", "Bang and clear" and so forth) to a second NPC teammate would be a help. I know they can get in the way sometimes, so it's not perfect, but it would be nice to have someone to cover my back. 8-)

Best regards,

Piesia
#4flowersjfPosted 4/22/2012 5:13:58 PM
sejembalm posted...
NOBODY could do these missions in real life. Sneak into enemy bases, alone with no artillery or air support, gunning down terrorists, sabotaging things, assassinating leaders, and getting out. Especially THESE enemies, cranked up to super-alertness on Turkish coffee, and with the deadly accuracy of the Egyptian Olympic Shooting Team. Having super-elite soldiers capable of doing something like this would be squandering them, sending them on such suicide missions. They work as teams, I would imagine. But gaming non-playable characters can be problematic as you must program their actions in which they do not screw up the activity of the playable character or get too much in the way. SOCOM games had this problem, but largely fixed it throughout the series.

I liked having one game-controlled teammate in SOCOM Fireteam Bravo (as opposed to the three teammates in the SOCOM PS2 games), but I would have liked having the ability to swap control of the NPC (a "Take Point" option in the game, if you would) during play. But the orders controlling the SOCOM teammate worked well enough (breach, bang and clear!), and having the ability to bring along another Unit 13 trooper would have been good, but not in all circumstances.

LMFAO!!!! This is hilarious yet true!!! I'm really bummed that Zipper folded because I was hoping for a Socom game on the vita.