So I'm going for the "Untouchable" and "Unstoppable" achievements...

#1E_102_GammaPosted 7/28/2012 8:41:32 PM
For anyone who doesn't already know, the "Untouchable" and "Unstoppable" achievements are achieved by completing the "normal" ending and the "good" ending whilst abstaining from collecting life capsules, respectively. I'm attempting to get them both in one run by saving in the little shack, exiting the shack (which is apparently possible), completing the normal ending, and then loading the save and going through the Sanctuary. I'm playing on Easy difficulty, because playing on Original or especially Hard just sounds masochistic and unnecessarily complicated (this doesn't "disqualify" me from getting the achievements, does it? :eek:).

And now it's decision time. I'm at Chaba's shop in the Labyrinth and I still have the Polar Star (since I declined Curly's offer to trade guns). Should I combine the PS and the Fireball for the Snake, or should I hold on to the PS and get the Spur instead?

And later on in the game, should I keep the Blade or trade it for the Nemesis? I've heard that the Blade is better for the bosses before the shack, but the Nemesis is more useful in the Sanctuary.

Keep in mind that I intend to go through the Blood-Stained Sanctuary with only three hit points.

I have already beaten the game on Hard difficulty and gotten the normal ending, btw. This was my first playthrough, so I didn't know how to get to the Sanctuary until after I had taken the Booster v0.8 (read: had the Booster v0.8 shoved down my throat).

This thread has been cross-posted between here and Steam Forums. Here's the SF thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2843994
#2silktailPosted 8/1/2012 7:38:44 PM
It sounds like you are doing much better at the game than I have done so far. I haven't tried for those achievements and am unsure of these answers.

And now it's decision time. I'm at Chaba's shop in the Labyrinth and I still have the Polar Star (since I declined Curly's offer to trade guns). Should I combine the PS and the Fireball for the Snake, or should I hold on to the PS and get the Spur instead?

If you save the game just before getting the Spur, you can still go back and get the Snake instead. So maybe reload and try both before making your decision.

Otherwise I think the Spur is usually the preferred choice in general (I couldn't say for a no Life Capules game).

And later on in the game, should I keep the Blade or trade it for the Nemesis?

I wouldn't recommend the Nemesis on a no Life Capsule game, just because it's annoying to lose any exp you accidentally get.

I don't even know why you would need the Nemesis in the Sanctuary, giving what you have there (although that does mean facing backwards).

I have already beaten the game on Hard difficulty and gotten the normal ending, btw. This was my first playthrough, so I didn't know how to get to the Sanctuary until after I had taken the Booster v0.8

Are you sure you don't want to practice doing it on Normal mode with full Life, first?

You will eventually have to do Normal to get the Best Ending achievement after all. (I.e. I didn't get that achievement from Easy mode.)
---
#3E_102_Gamma(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2012 10:32:48 PM
I've already started a save of Curly's Story, and I intend to get the best ending there as well. Dunno if it'll give me the achievement for that (since it's Curly's Story and only some achievements are attainable in it), but I do hope to at least pick up the "I Am Juggernaut" achievement, which is apparently obtainable in CS (or so Steam's little achievement progress popups would have me believe), so if I complete that save first, I should get some good practice.

At this point, I think I'm gonna go with the Snake, mostly because it's fun to use and pretty useful to boot. I'm considering setting this run aside until I've finished my Curly's Story save first, though.

I'm torn between keeping the Blade or trading it for the Nemesis. The Nemesis is apparently pretty useful against the final boss, but avoiding experience crystals sounds really annoying. And besides, the level 2 Blade has the highest potential damage per second of any weapon in the game.
#4RubyyoshiPosted 8/4/2012 7:18:23 PM
Beating the game on easy doesn't disqualify you for getting the unstoppable and untouchable achievements. I did the game on easy with 3 hp and still got the achievement for untouchable. I kinda recommend Spur and Nemesis for the run. (Even though having snake will help kill enemies through walls) If you decide to go for Snake, then still go for the Nemesis. I have a file right before Blood-Stained Sanctuary with 3 hp, Spur, Nemesis and no rocket launcher. I will say right now, it is insanely hard. (I still haven't done it myself) Finally, and although useless, having the life pot won't really help since everything will kill you, but it COULD save you. (Also, good luck and ignore the 290 Counter, all it does it taunt you.)