Bad News Ubisoft now owns South Park The Stick of Truth!

#1Will446Posted 1/23/2013 4:19:11 PM
http://kotaku.com/5978425/thq-is-get...ything-we-know

As I read and seen who got what I got very depressed.

The fact South Park: The Stick of Truth will be delayed for a year more to insert online only DRM and Uplay means a very long delay. Not to mention the South Park creators are actually fighting Ubisoft due to the fact Matt and Trey Parker claimed to included a provision in their contract just in case something happened to THQ they would retain ownership.

So its going to be a long fight and delay the game and sadly Ubisoft's horrible DRM and Uplay service will delay the game further.

March 5, 2013 was supposed to be a release date but I wouldn't count on it now, I would get your preorders back if you have it because it's going to be a long time till this game is released.

I remember when Activision delayed the Neverwinter Nights 2 expansions for four years to find the most intrusive DRM out there. Oh yeah Saints Row was bought out by the people who made Risen and Dead Island....things just keep getting better.
#2tony8669Posted 1/23/2013 5:59:32 PM
Well, from what I've read Matt and Trey have the authority to refuse having their product sold to another party.

Basically, they're allowed to reimburse THQ for the money spent developing the game, at which they get ownership.

So basically, Ubisoft is going to have to convince them to agree to the purchase, or else Matt and Trey could find a publisher for themselves. Either way, the game isn't a property of THQ.
#3Will446(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 7:12:29 PM
tony8669 posted...
Well, from what I've read Matt and Trey have the authority to refuse having their product sold to another party.

Basically, they're allowed to reimburse THQ for the money spent developing the game, at which they get ownership.

So basically, Ubisoft is going to have to convince them to agree to the purchase, or else Matt and Trey could find a publisher for themselves. Either way, the game isn't a property of THQ.

That was in the contract but Clearlake and THQ is disputing that and went ahead and sold it to Ubisoft who is going to cause a whole bunch of problems.
#4RosencroitzPosted 1/23/2013 9:08:18 PM
Let's hope that they game can be rescued from Ubisoft, otherwise it will significantly damage what likely would have been an excellent PC release.
---
All hail the king, for the king is here.
#5kiaghi7Posted 1/24/2013 8:06:35 PM
GREAT! That's just what we need! Ubisoft's Uplay "always online" nonsense messing up South Park...

I really hope they make an episode lamenting the loss of the truly great publisher THQ, and lampooning the European equivalent of Electronic Arts, Ubisoft.

If Electronic Arts if the Devil of video games, surely Ubisoft is the Antichrist.
---
The difference between being ignorant and being enlightened is choosing not to be the other.
#6rtechiePosted 1/28/2013 12:07:40 PM
Get ready for the bugs.

This game is going to be extremely buggy. Probably with showstopping bugs (bugs that prevent you from fiinshing the game). Why? Because every single game released by Obsidian has had tons of bugs. THQ saying "we have to hold onto this game for a year" is THQ saying it's unplayably buggy. And this game has had an especially troubled development cycle.

For these reasons, I strongly recommend that you DO NOT PRE-ORDER since it will be very buggy and that you purchase the PC version if possible. This is because Obsidian has a terrible record of patching nasty bugs, but on the PC you have the option of fan-created patches. Fan patches have been eventually made for all major Obsidian PC releases due to the sea of bugs. You might be waiting a few years.

TL;DR:

1. Game will be very buggy.
2. Buy the PC version.
3. Don't buy at release and wait for fan patches (possibly years).
#7ZetgobPosted 1/31/2013 6:52:41 PM
GREAT! That's just what we need! Ubisoft's Uplay "always online" nonsense messing up South Park...

Uh, you know they stopped doing that and even released patches to remove it from AC? The most an internet connection is needed now is a one time activation, like Steam does, and then you can play it offline as much as you want.

I'd say Ubisoft is one of the better options for getting SP, it's far better than everything just being scrapped. They've not had the greatest history in the PC world but they seem to be trying to get better.
#8TjmaximusPosted 2/3/2013 3:09:14 PM
rtechie posted...
Get ready for the bugs.

This game is going to be extremely buggy. Probably with showstopping bugs (bugs that prevent you from fiinshing the game). Why? Because every single game released by Obsidian has had tons of bugs. THQ saying "we have to hold onto this game for a year" is THQ saying it's unplayably buggy. And this game has had an especially troubled development cycle.

For these reasons, I strongly recommend that you DO NOT PRE-ORDER since it will be very buggy and that you purchase the PC version if possible. This is because Obsidian has a terrible record of patching nasty bugs, but on the PC you have the option of fan-created patches. Fan patches have been eventually made for all major Obsidian PC releases due to the sea of bugs. You might be waiting a few years.

TL;DR:

1. Game will be very buggy.
2. Buy the PC version.
3. Don't buy at release and wait for fan patches (possibly years).

You do know there's a difference between something being buggy because of the dev and being buggy because of a poorly made engine, right?

The only Obsidian game I can think of that was buggy because of them was maybe KotOR2 (save game corruption is all I'v ever encountered and it only happened once). Even then, the rest of the bugs were things that were in KotOR1 because of the engine.

New Vegas was all on the crap engine Bethesda uses. With no fan-patches it was more stable than FO3 for me.

Alpha Protocol was incredibly unpolished, but I think it's only crashed maybe 2 times in 3 or 4 playthroughs. Nothing else was really a bug, just lacking in polish (animations, oddities in cutscenes, controls), because it was a console port (stuttering when the rest of the level loads because they were too big for consoles to handle, which can be avoided in a .ini file), or design choices (you're never actually fully in cover if you are near an edge, so enemies can spot you and shoot you while you are in cover).

Dungeon Siege 3 was perfectly stable as far as I know. Which from a quick google search, is the same engine Obsidian is using for South Park. I really doubt it'll be any worse than the majority of games these days.
#9kiaghi7Posted 2/4/2013 8:35:28 PM
Zetgob posted...

Uh, you know they stopped doing that and even released patches to remove it from AC? The most an internet connection is needed now is a one time activation, like Steam does, and then you can play it offline as much as you want.

I'd say Ubisoft is one of the better options for getting SP, it's far better than everything just being scrapped. They've not had the greatest history in the PC world but they seem to be trying to get better.

I guess I agree that getting something done is better than scrapping the project, but having to kowtow to Ubisoft's insipid business practices at all is problematic... But "getting better", from hardly being a notch above Electronic Arts, isn't exactly a tremendous improvement.

Their patching out their unblinking eye is little comfort quite frankly, it shouldn't have even been there in the first place. It was a de-facto accusation of every legitimate buyer of the game, that Ubisoft thinks they are a pirate and needs to monitor them continuously because of their conclusion... Meanwhile every single pirate of the game never once had to deal with Ubisoft's nonsense monitoring to begin with...

It'd be funny if it weren't true, pirates typically have less anti-piracy nonsense to deal with than legitimate buyers... Can we just go back to CD keys, and "code wheels"?

A single synch isn't even all that great an improvement, it's still having to live under the automatic assumption of wrong-doing for legitimate buyers. Not to mention the damper it puts on your own ability to loan any of your games to a friend, like a book, or a movie, or music, or practically any other form of entertainment, because the developers consider that piracy? REALLY?

Real pirates aren't synching their games in the first place, they specifically circumvent the anti-piracy measures, so who are the "anti-piracy" measures actually stopping? The legitimate buyers, who can't readily resell or trade, or even just loan their game(s) to others.
---
The difference between being ignorant and being enlightened is choosing not to be the other.
#10NewMoonShadowPosted 2/4/2013 8:43:47 PM
Ubisoft is actually one of my favorite Publishers out there. They're one of the few who's willing to take frequent risks on new IP's and find the diamonds in the rough, and their games are always smoothed out and finished across all platforms, unlike other Publishers.

... If you buy their games on consoles anyway. F*** their PC DRM.
More topics from this board...
Mod'sbarnzie829/22 8:15AM