How do you effectively kill Bloaters (spoilers)?

#31SullyTheStrangePosted 6/22/2013 4:13:32 AM
steamygoreng posted...
Maybe there a difference between our gameplay. LOL. i was playing on hard and I spent at least 20+ retries at the point in the game.

I tried not killing them but Ellie keeps on saying "I can't. Theres too many of them (non verbatim but something along this line)" whenever I try to boost her up the exit.

Huh, that's weird. Maybe they were just too close? I managed to sneak by all the infected in the tunnel too after my first attempt at fighting them was a massive failure. What's cool is that when Joel and Ellie talked to boost her up, they were whispering because I hadn't killed all the infected.
---
All's fair in love and war, kid.
#32Ireland_FTWPosted 6/22/2013 4:52:59 AM
the only bloater i killed were the one in the highschool and the one in the college because i didn't know they were blind like the clickers.
---
'I blew really really hard' - Link_AJ
I drew this picture: http://i.imgur.com/aWxzd.jpg
#33kblaze13Posted 6/22/2013 5:05:09 AM
SullyTheStrange posted...
steamygoreng posted...
Maybe there a difference between our gameplay. LOL. i was playing on hard and I spent at least 20+ retries at the point in the game.

I tried not killing them but Ellie keeps on saying "I can't. Theres too many of them (non verbatim but something along this line)" whenever I try to boost her up the exit.

Huh, that's weird. Maybe they were just too close? I managed to sneak by all the infected in the tunnel too after my first attempt at fighting them was a massive failure. What's cool is that when Joel and Ellie talked to boost her up, they were whispering because I hadn't killed all the infected.

I was able to sneak by them all as well and heard the whispering and had a bit of a jump when she pushed the crate down thinking that was going to alert them all. It didn't and I just causally climbed up but was able to do it on survivor with no issues.

as to killing bloaters FIRE...burn'em all
---
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkegaard
#34CarpetfluffPosted 6/22/2013 5:12:48 AM
LunarRoar posted...
The first time I saw one I ran around like a maniac with a shotgun, getting a few hits in and running away. The next time I ran into one I found out two Molotovs do the trick just fine. In the final quarter of the game you'll find a flamethrower that burns them down in seconds.

The first one is easily more damage resistant than any of the others; they'll mostly go down with a decent molotov, but Mr Angry High School Janitor shrugs off several.
#35HereticsCreedPosted 6/22/2013 10:22:07 AM
steamygoreng posted...
HereticsCreed posted...
I only killed the first one. All of the others I just avoided. Didn't want to deal with them at all.

There's a section in the game where you will be forced to kill them. It's by the time you are going to the hospital after uec. and there are three bloaters there. Killing the first one marks a checkpoint. then you'll have to kill around 8 runners, 4 clickers then the two bloaters before you can proceed

Haha yeah I snuck past all of them as well. A couple of bricks and bottles with some strategic maneuvering got them out of my way. Played it on Hard as well.
#36thefinalzapkeetPosted 6/22/2013 11:12:22 AM
yeah, you can easily sneak past those bloaters in the hopsital

I am confused though, people are mentioning you only have to kill that one, but what about when you're playing as Ellie defending that one area? The bloater comes down from the roof, you have to fight it don't you?
---
Go the Distance is the most inspirational song ever
those that agree: 47
#37steamygorengPosted 6/23/2013 8:19:40 PM
Yeah. got it. thanks. I managed to sneak past them by my survivor playthrough too.

The one where you control ellie and she and david fight all the infected in a room, I think you are required to kill that bloater there. UNLESS im mistaken again. LOL
#38TheMickeyPosted 6/23/2013 8:25:13 PM
Fire kills them best, just toss 2 molotovs to kill any bloater.

For example, Towards the end if the game in Salt Lake there is a group of several zombies and 2 bloaters in a tunnel. I quietly climbed on the roof of a bus, waited patiently til the bloaters walked close to eachother and threw 1 Molotov between them. All the other zombies were attracted to the sound of them burning and I threw a second on the same spot. Killed all but one random runner that just barely survived long enough to take a single bullet to the head.

2 bloaters and at least 4 or 5 other infected, dead from 2 molotovs and a single gunshot. That's how to effectively kill them.
---
PSN, WiiU, and Apple GameCenter IDs: Saffahh
PSASBR: main E.Cole, alt Nariko, Twing-Twang baby! Currently playing: Last of Us, Injustice, KOTOR for iPad
#39kblaze13Posted 6/23/2013 8:29:04 PM
thefinalzapkeet posted...
yeah, you can easily sneak past those bloaters in the hopsital

I am confused though, people are mentioning you only have to kill that one, but what about when you're playing as Ellie defending that one area? The bloater comes down from the roof, you have to fight it don't you?

Yes and no....

Like the one in the high school, your ally can actually kill it provided you avoid it long enough.

So in reality YOU the player don't actually have to kill any bloaters, I didn't fire a single shot at the one in the high school in survivor mode, since I was wanting to conserve ammo and just kept it playing dance around the obstacles while Bill unloaded shotgun blasts into his backside, took a good 15mins of dancing but Bill did eventually bring it down.
---
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkegaard
#40scythecamPosted 6/23/2013 9:06:12 PM
peter_888 posted...
steamygoreng posted...
HereticsCreed posted...
I only killed the first one. All of the others I just avoided. Didn't want to deal with them at all.

There's a section in the game where you will be forced to kill them. It's by the time you are going to the hospital after uec. and there are three bloaters there. Killing the first one marks a checkpoint. then you'll have to kill around 8 runners, 4 clickers then the two bloaters before you can proceed

I was able to sneak past them

me too
---
28 goddamn seconds