Did spoilers ruin any part of the game for you ? (spoilers ahead obviously)

#1J0hnickPosted 6/23/2013 8:52:19 AM
Despite my best effort to avoid spoilers, I was listening to either IGN's Podcast Beyond or Gametrailers Invisible Walls podcast, and they were talking about the last of us. They said at the start that they wouldn't mention any spoilers because their review hadn't gone up yet, but they were talking about what they thought about the game and one person said

(spoilers)

"There was one part of the game when I thought Joel died, but then about an hour later, you find out he hasn't"

This ruined the part when Joel gets impaled, for a split second I went "holy****!", but then remembered this guy said this and knew he wasnt going to die. I felt kind of cheated by this because in my experience, apart from the ending, its the 2nd most talked about part of the game when most people thought Joel was dead after taking control of Ellie.

It could have been a lot worse, nothing else was ruined and I still loved the game, what about the rest of you guys ?.
---
No religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment & hope of reward after death - Einstein
#2ZyeHatosuPosted 6/23/2013 8:54:22 AM
Because I was following a collectibles guide, some small things were spoiled, such as the giraffes. I also knew Joel didn't die because you played as him afterwards, but I was still second-guessing and was really on edge after Joel got impaled.
---
"Good men mean well. We just don't always end up doing well." - Isaac Clarke
#3Muv-LuvPosted 6/23/2013 8:56:56 AM
I avoided this board and all trailers(except debut trailer) and info about the game so I didn't get spoiled at all.
---
psnprofiles.com/Daggeraxe
#4Ireland_FTWPosted 6/23/2013 8:58:02 AM
I was in the dark for the entire game besides asking for specific help on here maybe once or twice. Even then it wasn't spoiled for me because I only asked the steps in what to do.

I made sure not to read any of the reviews/topics about the game before I got it or while I was playing unless it was on a season I had beaten already.
---
'I blew really really hard' - Link_AJ
I drew this picture: http://i.imgur.com/aWxzd.jpg
#5Kai200XPosted 6/23/2013 9:01:17 AM
I don't mind getting spoiled, because I still I want to see it for myself.
---
PSN: Kai200X
#6Game__OnPosted 6/23/2013 9:12:58 AM
At first, I wasn't sure if he was gonna make it, due to all the blood loss.

But then, I remembered seeing a topic like, "Joel made the right decision. (Ending spoilers.)", so that confirmed that he wasn't gonna die. I was kinda pissed, but I kinda figured that they wouldn't kill him at that point in the game.
---
Let's Plays, Commentaries and more!
(>'_')> - Youtube.com/KennyGameOn - <('_'<)
#7YodaCrackersPosted 6/23/2013 11:55:06 AM(edited)
This is one of the first games where the story is really important that I did not get spoiled for me. After being spoiled on GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, Heavy Rain, and most recently, BioShock Infinite, I decided to avoid any message boards about this game and any reviews. It really paid off. I was still afraid to read almost any board on this site because BioShock was spoiled for me on the X360 board in a topic completely unrelated to the game.

The Last of Us is harder to have spoiled though because there's no big twist, it's more about the overall experience. It can't be spoiled in 3 words like BioShock Infinite.
---
http://bit.ly/1175lIT
Grand Theft Auto V is the train, Saints Row IV is the bus
#8OhGoodPosted 6/23/2013 11:54:51 AM
Sure, a lot of idiots were spoiling minor things left and right on this board. Apparently if you include the word "spoilers" you can write whatever the **** you want in your topic title.
---
Everything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
#9CalciferJenkinsPosted 6/23/2013 11:55:57 AM
Managed to finish completely unspoiled, which is very rare for me.
---
Thank you, gentlemen! Someday, I will repay you. Unless, of course, I can't find you or if I forget.
#10ATH8807Posted 6/25/2013 1:23:54 PM
I had the basement generator part spoiled for me. Read some threat about "scariest" parts of the game and people were apparently *****ing their pants at that part. I dunno, it was painfully obvious what would happen after turning that thing on so I avoided it even before remembering I was spoiled.

I'll admit though I jumped after I grabbed the keycard. Dx