What I think of this game *spoilers*

#1LunarHeartPosted 7/2/2013 1:51:18 AM
Ok, I'll start by saying I thought it was a good game, very few elements went into the area of excellence and those areas that did are something I don't really value the highest.

Characters: Good... Why not great?
Well, I think Ellie is a great character, she has a rich personality, speaks out about anything that comes into her mind and she has a good sense of humour. The best character in the game for sure. Joel on the other hand, is pretty dull and bland, although he has his good emotional moments for sure. The supporting cast range from alright to good along the way. Could have been better overall

Story: OK
I mean, the infected part of the story, the MEAT and foundation of it all, has no depth whatsoever... you never truly dive into reasons behind it, you never get much inside information, it leads to nothing and it's basically just an excuse to have enemies in the game. This is a character driven story and not necessarily plot based I know, but still, when the actual main story itself doesn't look good on paper but relies on the character a 100% well, then it's impossibly for me to think it is top notch. It needs MEAT!
The emotional peaks of the story are what I found really good at times though, like the entire starting sequence, the winter scenario and Ellie's growth.

Graphics: Excellent.
Superb detail and immersion in the environment, the areas are great and feels really natural and sets the mood of the entire game.

Gameplay: Good.
Most of the gameplay has been done before, and has been done better in other stealth games. The controls are very solid though, nothing wrong with it. But it still fails to push the gameplay into untraveled territories to really make it unique. It has a few elements to it that are slightly fresh like the brick/bottle system, playing around with the sound to lure enemies etc. Other than that, not much to talk about. Been there done that, and better in the games it takes from.

Music: OK.
The music has a couple of moments where you get the feel of the game, but most of the time, it's pretty dull, nothing really worth mentioning. And music should have been utilized a bit more often. And it def could have been a lot better melodies to the main theme etc.

Voice acting: Excellent.
Nothing to complain about at all here, great choice of voices for every character in the game. A few maybe not too memorable but still perfectly executed, so I guess that complaint goes to the writing team.

So yeah, that's what I think of this game, a solid good game, nothing spectacular. I give it a 7/10. Worth having, and it was worth playing.
---
FUNNY FUNNY FUNNY show - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjYBf4sdwI8
#2CADE FOSTERPosted 7/2/2013 1:53:48 AM
Reviews say 10/10 I believe professionals over you
#3LunarHeart(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2013 4:07:00 AM
CADE FOSTER posted...

Fine with me. Just posting my thoughts.
---
FUNNY FUNNY FUNNY show - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjYBf4sdwI8
#4darknessryPosted 7/2/2013 4:24:49 AM
I thought Joel was a great character. He fit the part of a man who shut himself off from most of the world emotionally because of his daughter's death, perfectly. I thought Tess was a terrible character, but that's my opinion.
---
Face it, Gamefaqs is riddled with asses.
#5CrashdashxPosted 7/2/2013 4:33:04 AM
CADE FOSTER posted...

If you're thinking of buying this game then read everyone's opinions. They have valid points and its what didn't work for them.

Though I disagree, I'd give the game 9/10. Though the first few hours made me think the game was overrated and I think Joel is a very well written character.
#6Ackw85Posted 7/2/2013 4:36:05 AM
While playing through the game, I found the story and characters compelling. It was very subtle in that in the beginning it makes out that the infected are the main plot and your greatest adversary, but the further you progress the more you realize the game the biggest threat in any post apocalyptic world are other survivors and about the morals choices one would have to make in such a world.

Character relationship was interesting to me, I liked how it slowly developed being the main cast and how Ellie begins to adapt to the surviving and how more and more frequently Joel had to rely on her in sticky situations, even rescuing him from death.

I found it to be a little like the passing of the torch, Joel starting off as the main character stuck looking after a little girl, but the roles switch and Ellie eventually becomes much more significant in his survival. It is also similar to the life cycle, when we are young we simply live for ourselves, but once we become old with kids you live for others and eventually the roles reverse.

Afew parts in the game I found Joels actions extreme and questioned whether it was really necessary like torturing the hunters then killing them, stabbing the surgeon in the throat, killing marlene and escaping with ellie but thinking about it, whether I believe them to be good or bad choices, I can understand why he did those things.

Like any movie/novel, I found the story had alot of depth to it and made me think about it afterwards, and thats what I look for in a good game.
---
PSN: Ackw294
#7FunnyMayPosted 7/2/2013 5:06:59 AM
LunarHeart posted...

...Joel on the other hand, is pretty dull and bland, although he has his good emotional moments for sure...

I mean, the infected part of the story, the MEAT and foundation of it all, has no depth whatsoever... This is a character driven story and not necessarily plot based I know...

So you didn't find it compelling how Joel's attitude to Ellie transformed from "liability" to "second daughter" and all the subtle emotional drama it brought? Or did you just miss it? Joel is far from bland, he is a realistic character in a realistic world whose internal struggle is conveyed masterfully.

When you say that the infected part of the story is "the meat and foundation of it all", your analysis is wrong by default. The foundation is Joel holding his dying daughter in his hands, and the meat is his development by way of Ellie. The infected part is secondary, it's just a stage for the main drama to unfold. I consider it extremely tasteful that the infected didn't receive a ton of backstory, while still having enough to feel authentic. Any more would shift the focus of the story.
#8GigerSupremePosted 7/2/2013 5:16:34 AM
FunnyMay posted...
LunarHeart posted...

...Joel on the other hand, is pretty dull and bland, although he has his good emotional moments for sure...

I mean, the infected part of the story, the MEAT and foundation of it all, has no depth whatsoever... This is a character driven story and not necessarily plot based I know...

So you didn't find it compelling how Joel's attitude to Ellie transformed from "liability" to "second daughter" and all the subtle emotional drama it brought? Or did you just miss it? Joel is far from bland, he is a realistic character in a realistic world whose internal struggle is conveyed masterfully.

When you say that the infected part of the story is "the meat and foundation of it all", your analysis is wrong by default. The foundation is Joel holding his dying daughter in his hands, and the meat is his development by way of Ellie. The infected part is secondary, it's just a stage for the main drama to unfold. I consider it extremely tasteful that the infected didn't receive a ton of backstory, while still having enough to feel authentic. Any more would shift the focus of the story.

personally i found it predictable.
it was obvious from the box art how their relationship would ultimately be... the intro with sara only served to hammer this point in.

the most compelling and interesting characters i felt were Ish, a lonely sewer worker who becomes a leader, and David.
#9Ackw85Posted 7/2/2013 5:17:07 AM
FunnyMay posted...

I consider it extremely tasteful that the infected didn't receive a ton of backstory, while still having enough to feel authentic. Any more would shift the focus of the story.

Agreed, the infection idea is also not completely fabricated either which adds more appeal, there are spore/parasites that actually exist that do a similar thing in the insect kingdom. Spores that infect ants and effectively mind control them to die in strategic places to sprout and infect other ants. Parasites that infect snails/slugs in a similar fashion, extremely disturbing stuff.
---
PSN: Ackw294
#10FunnyMayPosted 7/2/2013 5:23:22 AM(edited)
GigerSupreme posted...

personally i found it predictable.
it was obvious from the box art how their relationship would ultimately be... the intro with sara only served to hammer this point in.

the most compelling and interesting characters i felt were Ish, a lonely sewer worker who becomes a leader, and David.

Can't tell if subtle trolling... Anyway, Ish wasn't a sewer worker, he was waiting the outbreak out on a boat for several months before returning to the land and holing up in the sewers. About the rest of your post - I don't think I can change your mind, so I won't try.