Just beat the game...the ending should have been (MAJOR SPOILERS)

#1gameghy555Posted 8/17/2013 5:51:01 PM
MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW!!!

I just beat the game and was sort of disappointed at the end. Here is what I thought was going to happen:

Ellie would have found out the truth as they headed back to Tommy's town. Ellie would try to escape and go back because that's what she wants to do. Joel would try to stop her. In this chase, you play as Ellie. Now two things can happen:

1. Joel becomes terrible and tries to basically imprison Ellie (for his own selfish reasons since she reminds him of his daughter).

2. In the chase, he corners Ellie. Joel gets bit, then turns into a runner.

At this point, you fight Joel (as Ellie). It's final boss time. There is a queue for animation where you bash in Joel's head with a weapon (similar to the guy Ellie fights in the Winter).

After the fight, Ellie is traumatized. However, she keeps on keeping on and starts heading towards Salt Lake City. The camera would pan out here. I know people won't like this because it still leaves things unanswered...but I think it would have been an improvement on what they have now.

---
PSN: MoHSalim http://www.youtube.com/m0hsalim
CE's view on Equal Rights: "When white people win. - LamarMiyazaki
#2DelRowePosted 8/17/2013 6:21:31 PM
No.
---
You are not in control.
#3Kaze35Posted 8/17/2013 6:42:29 PM
Not sure that would make sense considering the themes of the game. The whole point of the game was the relationship between Joel and Ellie and how they both have something to live and fight for. I also really don't think Joel would turn into David ( which is essentially what happens in your ending).

I actually like the ending because it fit with the characters and the feel of the game.
#4RoKstarHandsomePosted 8/17/2013 9:11:57 PM
DelRowe posted...
No.
#5DuranOfForcenaPosted 8/17/2013 9:27:17 PM
What is this I don't even

Do people get character development at all? Sheesh, this is even worse than AngryJoe's ridiculous notion for a "better" ending to Sleeping Dogs where Wei Shen ditches the undercover job and joins the Sun On Yee proper, and I thought it couldn't get any worse than that. Why would you want to throw away an entire game's worth of character development?
---
I have walked across the surface of the sun. I have witnessed events so tiny and so fast they can hardly be said to have occurred at all...
#6gameghy555(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 9:29:03 PM
Kaze35 posted...
Not sure that would make sense considering the themes of the game. The whole point of the game was the relationship between Joel and Ellie and how they both have something to live and fight for. I also really don't think Joel would turn into David ( which is essentially what happens in your ending).

I actually like the ending because it fit with the characters and the feel of the game.

That's not the only theme in the game, but that's the primary resolution. There are many contradictory themes in the game. The survivor theme is what the game ended up sticking with, but there was a "we all have a purpose" and "it was meant to be" and "one life versus many". Or what about the "you always have a choice" and "don't make decisions for your own selfish needs". Joel basically wanted Ellie alive because she was his replacement for his daughter. Ellie did want to give up her life to be a cure. That's what they actually fought for. Joel is an "anit-hero" (sort of). He also became a bad person through out the game (story suggested he was bad before).

I felt not completeness or justice once reaching the end of the game. There were emotions through out the game, but the end was like a "so...what now?" and "is that really it...?" Ellie trying hard to believe Joel's lie just left room for more story rather than leave a poetic or philosophical meaning.

Also, from a game play perspective, allowing us to play as Ellie that late makes fit that Joel die. It just made me cringe that I play as Ellie and Joel isn't dead (or going to die).
---
#7gameghy555(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 9:34:51 PM
DuranOfForcena posted...

Do people get character development at all? Sheesh, this is even worse than AngryJoe's ridiculous notion for a "better" ending to Sleeping Dogs where Wei Shen ditches the undercover job and joins the Sun On Yee proper, and I thought it couldn't get any worse than that. Why would you want to throw away an entire game's worth of character development?

I'm sure everyone caught the character development, and I'm sure you're not such a high standard paid critic. Speaking of character development, Joel lying to Ellie kind of breaks part of that development? He hides secrets and runs from his past through out the game, but he faces the facts and opens up to Ellie. Joel lying would just be the same boat of trouble.
---
#8Kaze35Posted 8/17/2013 11:06:39 PM
gameghy555 posted...
Kaze35 posted...

Also, from a game play perspective, allowing us to play as Ellie that late makes fit that Joel die. It just made me cringe that I play as Ellie and Joel isn't dead (or going to die).

I actually thought ND let us play as Ellie in te epilogue to show that she has finally become a daughter figure to Joel . I saw it as a parallel to the beginning where we play as Sarah. I remember reading the reddit AMA where Bruce mentioned the connection between the two scenes.

Either way, your ending wouldn't fit with Joel's character. We never see him as a crazy psychopath who loses his sh** when he doesn't get his way ( David on the other hand...). Sure, he's done some terrible things to protect his loved ones but he has never laid a hand on them (otherwise Tommy would be dead or something).

If anything, he would've forced himself to move on and never talk about Ellie again. That's how he copes with loss/ abandonment ( Sarah's death, Tess' death, his wife leaving him, etc).
#9Kaze35Posted 8/17/2013 11:15:17 PM
gameghy555 posted...
DuranOfForcena posted...

I'm sure everyone caught the character development, and I'm sure you're not such a high standard paid critic. Speaking of character development, Joel lying to Ellie kind of breaks part of that development? He hides secrets and runs from his past through out the game, but he faces the facts and opens up to Ellie. Joel lying would just be the same boat of trouble.

I believe that Joel lies to Ellie to try to relieve her of her survivor's guilt. You can tell by her facial expression that She knows he's lying about something but she accepts it anyway because what else could she possibly do, all they have is each other. At least, that's how I saw it.
#10ZoosIVXXPosted 8/17/2013 11:53:16 PM
When are people going to understand that this games story is bout the journey to the end and not just the end?
Theres so many climactic and dramatic moments throughout why do we need some horrific twist like its a damn shyamalan movie
---
Don't suck ya teeth at me man
Former account:BiggieSmoughs