Does Ellie's behaviour/the ending of the game change depending on how you play?

#1panoPosted 11/29/2013 3:00:23 PM
As the title says, is Ellie's behaviour or the ending of the game affected by how you play the game? That is, do stealth runs with minimal kills lead to a morally "good" ending, whereas killing everyone leads to a "bad" ending, stealth kills in between, etc.

I'd love to know before I continue playing! I simply love this game.

Also, please no spoilers!
---
"Death, is the high cost of living."
#2Lighter_ThiefPosted 11/29/2013 3:25:57 PM
Nope, sorry buddy
---
sunset sailboat set course for hell
http://pbfcomics.com/252/
#3xRyukenxPosted 11/29/2013 3:32:27 PM(edited)
No, there is only one ending, but I think that was the right decision. Giving a choice in the ending would be unrealistic and out of character in my opinion, and I am glad they didn't. As for morally good, morally bad ending, that isn't up to your game decisions but rather your own personal morals. Awesome game though, keep on truckin' through!

Also, don't read my edit. Didn't post spoilers but it might have made you speculate a little so I editted it.
---
Allow me to give you the finger! The Darkness Finger, that is!!! - Master Asia, Dynasty Warriors Gundam
#4pano(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2013 3:36:50 PM
Thanks for the replies!

xRyukenx, thanks for your input - I'll take your word for it. The only reason why I thought the game may be affected by my playstyle is the fact that, during kills Ellie yells out things such as "Oh my god...", "Jesus...". I just thought to myself: "This really could be morally and psychologically traumatic for a child, even one such as Ellie..."

Either way, thanks!
---
#5xRyukenxPosted 11/29/2013 4:43:42 PM(edited)
No problem, but don't necessarily trust me because it comes down to personal taste, lol. There are obviously multiple ways things could have played out, where some people who don't subjectively like the ending think you should have been able to choose from multiple ones, BUT this isn't a roleplaying game where you project yourself onto the character but rather are in the shoes of Joel and Ellie who are defined characters. What you would do is not necessarily what they would do, or maybe it is. Honestly it would not work for a morally "good" and "bad" ending, because it isn't that simple and which one would be good and which would be bad is up to your own beliefs and the different values in post-apocalyptic society. That's the beauty of this game (aside from the great characters and their relationship)- the gray morality. These hunters you are killing may be shooting at you first, but they are just trying to survive the same as you in a dog eat dog world. What is right, what is wrong? Is there even right or wrong or is there just survival?

As for Ellie's reactions to killing people, I think it was more of a way to show her character change as the journey goes on, whereas in the beginning she is naive and innocent, acting like that will not keep you alive long in their world. Very interesting to watch her evolve over of the course of the game, even in the little things like her interactions with Joel, reactions to killing just in little one-liners and dialogue and realization of just how ****ed the world really is.
---
Allow me to give you the finger! The Darkness Finger, that is!!! - Master Asia, Dynasty Warriors Gundam
#6pano(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2013 1:25:33 AM
I just got done with the game. I must say, I have not felt like this because of a game in a long time. Simply breathtaking.

And I agree with you; his choice was morally bad - but morals are a burden in the game's universe...
---
#7-Oath-Posted 11/30/2013 2:27:03 AM
I beat the game yesterday and I've been worrying about Ellie a lot. Isn't it crazy how a game can do that? Do you think she will be happy?
#8pano(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2013 8:59:27 PM
Sorry, I didn't see your message!

I think the old "ignorance is bliss" applies here. She might still have a hunch that something's not quite right, but I think she'll just try to make the best of it.

Joel on the other hand, probably would not be happy if he hadn't done that. I was actually surprised that he didn't mumble something about Sarah while asleep, only to think she was next to him and seeing Ellie.

God, I haven't connected to characters so deeply in such a long time. I wish there was more!
---
#9-Oath-Posted 12/2/2013 10:19:04 PM(edited)
Spoilers!

Ellie after the winter section broke my heart. A little girl like her, sweet and friendly, having to kill so many people for Joel and her own survival. I couldn't imagine her being happy giving her life for the same people that put her through so much stuff. I hope she can find peace and happiness with Joel and the gang.
#10pano(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2013 10:30:09 PM
Spoiler warning, just in case!

I definitely agree, but think that Winter itself was hands-down the best part of the game. Ellie's grown so much, and she had grown not only attached to Joel, but was so afraid of being alone again. But on the other hand, she showed so much spirit when fighting the crazies - her emotional growth was astounding.
---