Does this get any better? *Spoilers*

#1SybreTigerPosted 1/16/2014 11:48:18 AM(edited)
I just started this game last night. Finally decided to rent it on Gamefly after it won GotY (or did it just get nominated?).

Well, I played for about 4 hours last night and so far... It's just kinda generic. Your typical zombie survival post-apocalyptic game. Nothing special about it so far. Now I'm NOT trying to knock the game, I'm giving it an honest chance.

I got to the point in the game where they got outside the wall with the little girl, ran away from the military or whatever, and we went through a big building, fought a bunch of clickers to get out (the section with the 1 clicker and 4 runners was a really hard segment, I died prolly 5 times trying to figure out the sequence. The final segment to get out of the building was a lot easier). Once we got out of the building I saved and went to bed.

So my question is, does it get better? Or is it a lot more of the same?
---
FC - 2234-7228-8670, IGN: Rheiah, SV 2171
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k141/SybreTiger/SybreTiger.jpg
#2NarcelesPosted 1/16/2014 11:55:34 AM
It's more of the same. Not sure what you're asking, really. The locations change, and there's a gameplay shift in the later half of the game. I liked the game from the getgo so I don't know what else to say.

This is why I hate how big of a deal GOTY is made out to be. People see games that win it, and since it won, people assume they'll like it too. Then when it's not what they thought, they come swarming to the forums to call it overrated or whatever.

Bleh.
---
"Narceles, don't try to argue or reason with hippies and commies." -menalaos1971
Lazarus threw the party. Lazarus threw the fight.
#3SybreTiger(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2014 12:00:26 PM
Narceles posted...
It's more of the same. Not sure what you're asking, really. The locations change, and there's a gameplay shift in the later half of the game. I liked the game from the getgo so I don't know what else to say.

This is why I hate how big of a deal GOTY is made out to be. People see games that win it, and since it won, people assume they'll like it too. Then when it's not what they thought, they come swarming to the forums to call it overrated or whatever.

Bleh.

Nah, I didn't think I'd be much into the game since it came out. At release date, everyone was all "OMG LAST OF US MUST BUY IT", and I kinda just ignored the hype and played other games. But I kept hearing how good it was, and several friends recommended it and insisted I play so I finally gave it a chance.

But it's not like this survival genre isn't my cup of tea. I really enjoyed Resident Evil and the new Tomb Raider. And I had fun with Uncharted as well, though I couldn't finish it.
---
#4NarcelesPosted 1/16/2014 12:02:23 PM
For what its worth, the plot is nothing you haven't seen before, but most people like this game because of its execution. It does a better job telling a story than most games I've played that deal with infected/zombies.

That is what's special about it, IMO.
---
"Narceles, don't try to argue or reason with hippies and commies." -menalaos1971
Lazarus threw the party. Lazarus threw the fight.
#5Mtsmith85Posted 1/16/2014 12:56:44 PM
Fine that you don't like the game, each to their own.

What I don't get is that you seem to be against the game because it's generic, but then go on to say that you did like the new tomb raider, and resident evil.... I don't think anyone could argue that these games aren't at least as 'generic' if not more so than tlou?

Don't get me wrong I love all of the above games, including resident evil 6 which for me was a massive improvement over the colossal let down that was 5, despite the overwhelming negativity in reviews. I just don't see how you could be so against this game for that sole reason when you state you clearly like other very similar games.

Anyway, if you haven't started enjoying it by now, the game probably isn't for you. That said, you may as well finish now you've started - even if you don't think the story is stellar I'm sure there's at least a few bits in there you'll find cool
#6ViltrisPosted 1/16/2014 4:55:10 PM
It gets better once you unlock more weapons and items. With just the pistol, the gameplay is pretty stale and annoying.

Also keep in mind that the combat is supposed to be awkward. It's never going to get smoother, more fluid, easier, or less awkward. That's because the game doesn't want you to be in combat. (Except when it does. And when you do get into combat, the game wants you to run and hide and take out the enemies from stealth.) So you need to be really patient and set up your stealth kills.

The other aspect of the game is that you need to be managing your supplies. Because the game is really a resource management game.

The game is hopelessly depressing and it's really good at making you feel like you're completely and utterly screwed. But if you can get past that, the payoff is worth it.
---
\/
#7SybreTiger(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2014 5:24:18 PM
Mtsmith85 posted...
Fine that you don't like the game, each to their own.

What I don't get is that you seem to be against the game because it's generic, but then go on to say that you did like the new tomb raider, and resident evil.... I don't think anyone could argue that these games aren't at least as 'generic' if not more so than tlou?

Don't get me wrong I love all of the above games, including resident evil 6 which for me was a massive improvement over the colossal let down that was 5, despite the overwhelming negativity in reviews. I just don't see how you could be so against this game for that sole reason when you state you clearly like other very similar games.

Anyway, if you haven't started enjoying it by now, the game probably isn't for you. That said, you may as well finish now you've started - even if you don't think the story is stellar I'm sure there's at least a few bits in there you'll find cool

Well I didn't say I didn't like it because it was generic. I was wondering what so many people like about it, why it got GotY, what stands out about it so much, when to me it seems generic. That's what I was wondering.

Also, I like Resident Evil because it was my first venture into this genre. And I enjoyed Tomb Raider's atmosphere, being on an island and such, and the upgrade system. It felt more of an adventure game to me, with Rpg elements (my favorite genre), not generic at all.
---
#8play_the_game17Posted 1/16/2014 5:52:17 PM
I never follow the hype or word of mouth. I look for previews of the game first, usually in Game Informer magazine. If it's already released then i'll read a review or watch a demo. If it sounds good i'll get it. It stays on the shelf if it doesn't.
---
My Res Evil 4 Parody - http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/535840-resident-evil-4/57969054
SMB3 Airship Theme on Piano: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXZiYAd8fIg
#9SDSSocietyPosted 1/16/2014 7:08:39 PM
I had an awesome time my first playthrough and its still fun to me on subsequent runs. Why do I like it? Because I do.
---
Monsters from the Id
#10CharliesixPosted 1/16/2014 10:17:56 PM
i was let down by this game too. I hyped it up too much due to all the GOTY awards and high review scores

It's a really solid game still
---
Currently playing: War Thunder, Star Conflict, World of Tanks 360