Does this get any better? *Spoilers*

#11Mtsmith85Posted 1/16/2014 11:18:12 PM
SybreTiger posted...
Mtsmith85 posted...

Well I didn't say I didn't like it because it was generic. I was wondering what so many people like about it, why it got GotY, what stands out about it so much, when to me it seems generic. That's what I was wondering.

Also, I like Resident Evil because it was my first venture into this genre. And I enjoyed Tomb Raider's atmosphere, being on an island and such, and the upgrade system. It felt more of an adventure game to me, with Rpg elements (my favorite genre), not generic at all.

Fair enough.

Personally I thought the last of us had bags more atmosphere than the middle of the road 'haunted island' feel of tomb raider, and I also thought tlou probably felt to have more of an rpg element (with weapon upgrades, personal upgrades, crafting etc), but I did like the way weapon upgrades were dealt with in TR - they felt much more substantial and worthwhile.

Resident evil will always have a soft spot in my heart for the same reasons as you, and so perhaps I am more forgiving of it than some people. I still genuinely think 6 was a decent game though even on its own merits.

Like I said, horses for courses. For me tlou was easily game of the year, and probably is my game of the generation, although I do struggle to put my finger on exactly why. TR for me was 'merely' a great game of last year
#12BhemontPosted 1/16/2014 11:52:03 PM
The story.
#13ScrubbydudePosted 1/17/2014 1:16:26 AM
I've completed the 2nd chapter and just started Bill's Town. I share some of TC's sentiments in that the gameplay isn't anything new or particularly fun. Thus far I find it a gorgeous game that's a mix of old school RE and stealth. It does get repetitive as ammo conservation is key to getting from point A to point B seamlessly. I hope there's more to do besides hiding behind objects, checking for enemy placements and performing stealth kills. Maybe I've played too much RE and Splinter Cell thus the gameplay feels all too familiar.

The eye candy is world class though. Lovely HD backgrounds!
#14Fiz57Posted 1/17/2014 3:01:24 AM
I am more a stealth game player and if could would not use range weapon for that stealth feeling/challenge. I would love to observe and think how to take down enemy one by one. For hunter even if they would discover me, I love running away and hide before taking them down one by one when they look for me rather than direct fighting. One highlight of the game is the environment, usually the area is big and had more than one path to cross thus giving more stealth maneuver or a guerrilla tactic of hit and run attack. There were more than one occasion where I melee combo an enemy and barely escaped without a scratch when another tried to interfere with a gun then go hide and stealth kill.

The other highlight would be Ellie reaction but I think she didn't do anything. Might be had to do with her AI program or something. She did throw brick at enemy sometime so I could rush and attacked him while he stunned. Once there were two enemies patrolling toward us with me no way to retreat or hide so I waited for the last second to ambush one and hope to finish him off before the other could hit me. To my surprise, I grab one and Ellie stealth kill the other with her knife from the back though at first, she stood unnoticed by the enemy who bumped her (again I think the program fault though good effect). In my first playthrough, her action gave little impression to me but in the highest difficulty/survivor, she perform excellent that I was surprised how dependable she was. Like one time, I was doing a stealth attack in a group of unaware hunter. The listening mode which highlight where the enemies were removed so I had to keep an eye out and Ellie told me where incoming enemies are which I could barely hide and would have been discovered if she didn't warn me.
---
South-east Asia PS3 PSN: Fiz57
Now using PSN for Vita, re-challenge PS3 and probably for PS4 as PSN: FizV57
#15onewingedsephPosted 1/17/2014 3:15:24 AM
People have different expectations. I was pretty damn hyped about this game and got it on release. My expectations have been exceeded big time. Sure the gameplay isnīt new, But letīs be honest here, nowadays every 3rd person games have more or less the same elements. I accepted that. When you say nothing new and generic, what exactly do you want to have or what do you expect from a game?

Iīd say in the masses of 3rd person Action Adventures out there, TLOU did implement new elements which I really love and donīt find in another similar game in this generation (at least the games I played). Like the crafting system, the real time weapon selection and crafting with the backpack, smooth and realistic cover movements without having to press a button.

A negative aspect COULD be the lack of puzzles, but I think the world around TLOU isnīt suited for big complex puzzles. I dunno, it just wouldnīt fit into the game. Itīs a hard, brutal and "in-your.face" portrayal of what the world and the people might become in case of an outbreak. Puzzles would be ut of place IMHO.

I think itīs a perfectly balanced game between stealth, shootouts, little "puzzles" and some quite time when nothing happens, they are also well executed and perfectly timed.

Rounding that up is of course the story, the characters and not to forget the visuals. Granted the story is nothing new (although I didnīt expect that ending), but the way it is told and exectuted with the character development and bonding is just nothing Iīve experienced in a long time. The last games that had such an emotional impact on me were MGS4 and Final Fantasy X. The Last of Us is one of the few games, that makes me care about the characters.

In my opinion, The Last of Us is a complete game: Awesome visuals with great atmosphere, face animation and just perfect voice-over. The soundtrack is subtle and fits the atmosphere perfectly, although I would have liked more variation. The story, though nothing new, is being told with a great pace. Lovable characters the game made me care for the whole journey. Good gameplay with small but good new elements.

I completed the game 3 times already and now I am on my playthrough on survivor. This difficulty makes the game even better because of the resource management you have to do in order to move forward in the game.

This post may sound kinda fanboy.ish, but itīs not. This is my view of the game. I just love this game and enjoy the hell out of it. I read in so many threads here. that the "gameplay is nothing new" or "been there done that". But I look back to the other 3rd person games I played last year, what is new there? Resident Evil 5/6, Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, Max Payne, GTA V, etc... All these games have more or less the same elements with nothing new. (Well I donīt think bullet time wouldīve fit in TLOU lol). TLOU does have new elements. So what do people expect when they say "nothing new"?

Phew long post, sorry guys. But I just had the time. lol
---
XBL-Gametag: elwoodblues0985 // PSN: elwoodblues85 Main: Guy - SFIVAE
#16Mtsmith85Posted 1/17/2014 4:18:13 AM
onewingedseph posted...
People have different expectations. I was pretty damn hyped about this game and got it on release. My expectations have been exceeded big time. Sure the gameplay isnīt new, But letīs be honest here, nowadays every 3rd person games have more or less the same elements. I accepted that. When you say nothing new and generic, what exactly do you want to have or what do you expect from a game?

Iīd say in the masses of 3rd person Action Adventures out there, TLOU did implement new elements which I really love and donīt find in another similar game in this generation (at least the games I played). Like the crafting system, the real time weapon selection and crafting with the backpack, smooth and realistic cover movements without having to press a button.

A negative aspect COULD be the lack of puzzles, but I think the world around TLOU isnīt suited for big complex puzzles. I dunno, it just wouldnīt fit into the game. Itīs a hard, brutal and "in-your.face" portrayal of what the world and the people might become in case of an outbreak. Puzzles would be ut of place IMHO.

I think itīs a perfectly balanced game between stealth, shootouts, little "puzzles" and some quite time when nothing happens, they are also well executed and perfectly timed.

Rounding that up is of course the story, the characters and not to forget the visuals. Granted the story is nothing new (although I didnīt expect that ending), but the way it is told and exectuted with the character development and bonding is just nothing Iīve experienced in a long time. The last games that had such an emotional impact on me were MGS4 and Final Fantasy X. The Last of Us is one of the few games, that makes me care about the characters.

In my opinion, The Last of Us is a complete game: Awesome visuals with great atmosphere, face animation and just perfect voice-over. The soundtrack is subtle and fits the atmosphere perfectly, although I would have liked more variation. The story, though nothing new, is being told with a great pace. Lovable characters the game made me care for the whole journey. Good gameplay with small but good new elements.

I completed the game 3 times already and now I am on my playthrough on survivor. This difficulty makes the game even better because of the resource management you have to do in order to move forward in the game.

This post may sound kinda fanboy.ish, but itīs not. This is my view of the game. I just love this game and enjoy the hell out of it. I read in so many threads here. that the "gameplay is nothing new" or "been there done that". But I look back to the other 3rd person games I played last year, what is new there? Resident Evil 5/6, Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, Max Payne, GTA V, etc... All these games have more or less the same elements with nothing new. (Well I donīt think bullet time wouldīve fit in TLOU lol). TLOU does have new elements. So what do people expect when they say "nothing new"?

Phew long post, sorry guys. But I just had the time. lol

Here here!

In particular I agree with your comments on the cover system. A lot of people seem not to have liked it, but for me it worked excellently and was much more seamless than the 'press button to stick to wall' mechanic which is now starting to get a little tired. For me this was an innovation in itself, and stands it apart from the other 3rd person action adventures of the last few years
#17AjescentPosted 1/17/2014 9:48:31 AM
I don't think the word 'generic' is being used correctly here. It's not mind blowing but it does have some features that separate it from the rest.
---
I survived the Apocalyps3 and the Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.
Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?
#18penguin7766Posted 1/17/2014 12:18:51 PM
TBH once I got out of the Summer portion of the game, I really started to enjoy it more. Guess it was cause of the change in scenery.

But onewingedseph sums it up pretty well for me.
The praise for this game is all about the story. It's the only game I've ever gotten emotional over. Just a one of a kind experience.

Personally, I enjoyed playing this game more than fallout or skyrim.