Depressing (spoilers)

#1CharadeSmithPosted 1/25/2014 4:39:19 AM
Before I continue keep in mind i'm using the word "depressing" in a positive way..as far as it can, anyway. You know what i mean.

Anyway.. spoilers ahead

When it came to protect Sarah, Joel left people behind. After he lost her, it is implied he did bad things to survive (and protect Tommy). In the game, we see what is something of a path of redemption, as if it's the good guys vs the bad guys.
In the end, Ellie has become such a "Sarah replacement" that Joel is once again the same way he always was. He murders the fireflies, doesn't care about the cure, his "something to fight for" is his selfish need of being with Ellie..and is basically gonna stay the same "do anything to survive" guy that he has been, much like a lot of the people we kill in the game.
And to top it off, it seems Ellie understands what happened, that he's lying, but that she grew to "love" him and accepts the whole thing in a bittersweet way. She know he needs her.

It's all quite depressing really. And that made it even more memorable
#2Ratchet_Fan8Posted 1/25/2014 5:38:01 AM
joel always was a survivor.

and uh,it's not that depressing since the world is a wreck,the good and bad perception doesn't exist anymore
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/tou.html
#3Sol4688Posted 1/25/2014 6:46:54 AM
He's still technically doing "bad things" to survive. Being a smuggler isn't exactly the road to redemption.
---
PSN: CrimeRoyal
Want a totally awesome webcomic? Check out http://blue-blaster.com/
#4CharadeSmith(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2014 6:56:38 AM
I know, i meant how after Tommy's town it seems as if it's no longer about smuggling a girl but rather about protecting her AND finding a cure. There was a "glimpse" of redemption that eventually disappeared
#5fereydoomPosted 1/25/2014 9:03:19 AM
murder the firelfy??"his "something to fight for" is his selfish need of being with Ellie"?

what?? you missing a lot crucial points here buddy.
#6Byzon1Posted 1/25/2014 9:13:11 AM
fereydoom posted...
murder the firelfy??"his "something to fight for" is his selfish need of being with Ellie"?

Really? Like what? Seems pretty accurate to me. Buddy.
#7Bl1xvanPosted 1/25/2014 9:25:55 AM
Though I'm not applauding him for what he does at the ending either, I still have faith in the man. That he can change that is.

Even if it aint for the sake of the world, I honestly think he'll do it for Ellie's sake. He's put his own survival at risk for his loved ones many times throughout the game.

Starting at Tommy's place he put his own feelings at risk by taking Ellie with him and thus putting himself in danger of seeing ANOTHER little girl get killed in front of him. He even starts opening up to that little girl and even takes the picture that he initially refused from Tommy from her.

I see his lying to Ellie as a relapse.
---
"In the hands of someone who's good enough at thinking outside of the box, ANYTHING can be used as a weapon."
#8CharadeSmith(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2014 9:30:02 AM
fereydoom posted...

Enlighten me?
#9Ratchet_Fan8Posted 1/25/2014 9:56:15 AM
CharadeSmith posted...
I know, i meant how after Tommy's town it seems as if it's no longer about smuggling a girl but rather about protecting her AND finding a cure. There was a "glimpse" of redemption that eventually disappeared

no,he doesnt want redemption,His character stays true to the end.

Spoilers below

in Winter when joel notices Ellie gone missing , the way he beats the bad guys still shows his true nature.Also in FireFly Lab,the way he is stabbing the guy to tell the information? Yeah he's still a brute and does anything to get by.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/tou.html
#10CharadeSmith(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2014 10:00:30 AM
I didn't say he wanted. What i meant by "glimpse" referred to what we saw, WE, the player...without being inside Joel and knowing what he thinks and feels.