What's up with the dialog in this game? (spoilers)

#1STN79Posted 4/28/2014 9:47:49 PM
Ellie in particular has a really foul mouth. Is this some emo chick on her period kinda thing? I know teenagers really do talk like that but damn. Is the F word really necessary every few sentences? Oh and how many girls go around calling eachother dicks? They don't even have dicks. Wouldn't the C word be more apropriate? I'm referring to that scene you may remember from left behind of course. I had to cringe at that one.
---
It is artists, not technicians, who make excellent games. "Hiroshi yamauchi"
#2GuyFawkes5Posted 4/28/2014 11:39:46 PM
stopped reading after "Ellie in particular has a really foul mouth". old topic is old.
---
Believe in the Fireflies.
#3STN79(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2014 12:40:11 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#4EzeDoesItPosted 4/29/2014 9:05:11 AM
You wouldn't ever call your friend a p****?

This is a post-apocalyptic world. Society has collapsed and people don't attach as many social rules to inconsequential guttural sounds as they do in today's world.

---
http://i.minus.com/ibq5dtkuP7NDIM.gif
http://i.minus.com/ibzW4LeLuR2Z2U.gif
#5SolidStryderPosted 4/29/2014 9:58:45 AM
EzeDoesIt posted...
You wouldn't ever call your friend a p****?

This is a post-apocalyptic world. Society has collapsed and people don't attach as many social rules to inconsequential guttural sounds as they do in today's world.

You're assuming TC has friends, though.
#6TheGray250Posted 4/29/2014 10:03:03 AM
Have you...ever hung around 14 year olds recently? Teenagers have foul mouths, it's natural, it's just how it is. That's part of Ellie's character, she has a foul mouth. Also, I'm not sure what your gripe is against her calling Riley a dick playfully (My God that sounded wrong). Because they're girls doesn't mean they're barred from using the term dick to reference how another is acting. If it means anything, Ellie isn't as bad towards the end of the game.
#7GuyFawkes5Posted 4/29/2014 10:51:26 AM
TheGray250 posted...
Have you...ever hung around 14 year olds recently? Teenagers have foul mouths, it's natural, it's just how it is. That's part of Ellie's character, she has a foul mouth. Also, I'm not sure what your gripe is against her calling Riley a dick playfully (My God that sounded wrong). Because they're girls doesn't mean they're barred from using the term dick to reference how another is acting. If it means anything, Ellie isn't as bad towards the end of the game.

Ellie actually said "can suck my d***) in the Left Behind DLC, think this is what TC is referring to.
---
Believe in the Fireflies.
#8TheGray250Posted 4/29/2014 11:13:25 AM
GuyFawkes5 posted...
TheGray250 posted...

Ellie actually said "can suck my d***) in the Left Behind DLC, think this is what TC is referring to.

She also called Riley a dick like two minutes before that as well after she scared her when they entered the Halloween shop. And the TC said how many girls walk around calling each other dicks so naturally...I assumed he was talking about the comment before. My point still stands though, she's joking. I've heard plenty of girls say that someone could suck their dick even if they didn't have one. Is it derogatory? Sure, but hey, half the things teenagers do arent exactly squeaky clean.
#9FredericChopinPosted 4/29/2014 5:19:44 PM
I have completed the main game but haven't played the DLC yet.

I think the foul mouth is just because Ellie probably grew up in very rough circumstances and saw a lot of things.

Although I do not like the idea of adding swear words to video games "just because," in the case of TLoU I think it really added to the realism of the characters trying to survive in a very dangerous post apocalyptic environment.

This is just my theory on Ellie though and I have yet to play the DLC.
---
"There is no one else! I am the only one here!"
- Frederic Chopin, Eternal Sonata
#10jellybeanmasterPosted 4/30/2014 8:48:21 AM
You forget Ellie is a lesbian? A very boyish one too. Once you find out shes gay everything falls into place and makes so much sense
---
PSN:ProdijusX, GT:BUMBA CLAWT,