Suburbs/Sniper Question (spoilers)

#1FredericChopinPosted 4/29/2014 3:56:33 PM
Hello other TLoU players,

Just wanted to ask a question about the part of the game where you go through the suburbs right after Pittsburgh-- right at the point where the sniper detects you and starts shooting, and Joel/Ellie/Henry/Sam are hiding behind the car.

I am doing a replay of TLoU on hard mode and am just about to reach this point.

It would seem the best thing to do here is to seek cover in the homes on the left as your try to make progress up the street towards the sniper's den.

This is how I played this part on normal mode, I threw a smoke bomb and hid in the homes on the left.

I was just curious, is there anything useful at all in the homes on the right side of the street, any reason to investigate them?

Thank you!
---
"There is no one else! I am the only one here!"
- Frederic Chopin, Eternal Sonata
#2latimasterPosted 4/29/2014 4:23:47 PM(edited)
During this part there's a couple of times (twice i think) where you're automatically spotted, no matter how stealthy you are, so what I did was just run for the sniper house when that happened while sticking to the houses on the left. Mainly cause I didn't have the health or supplies to pick everyone off.
#3EtroAnimePosted 4/29/2014 4:42:34 PM
I believe you may find some parts and crafting items on the right side of the house. It would be important for you to check especially on hard mode.
---
Far gone in Deep Space Ignition.
PSN ID: Rammel29
#4Sol4688Posted 4/29/2014 5:23:45 PM
Wow, I wasn't even aware you could play the game like that, charging for the house on the left.

I ALWAYS sneak over to the house on the right first, and cross over to the houses on the left.
---
PSN: CrimeRoyal
Want a totally awesome webcomic? Check out http://blue-blaster.com/
#5KryptoPyro13Posted 4/30/2014 5:58:36 AM
You can even charge the sniper's house on Survivor after you pass the parts where he can hit you. Once you reach his room, all enemies following you disappear. o_o;
---
"Expect nothing. That way you will never be disappointed."
#6FredericChopin(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2014 2:33:53 PM
Sol4688 posted...
Wow, I wasn't even aware you could play the game like that, charging for the house on the left.

I ALWAYS sneak over to the house on the right first, and cross over to the houses on the left.

The way I first played this stage - throw smoke bomb - run forward and to the left, I think there is either a grass hill or stone wall you can seek shelter behind. Then into the house on the left, and try to take cover as much as possible. As latimaster in #2 pointed out, it seemed that, no matter how stealthy I was, the sniper seemed to still get to me at times - if I was exposed for even a second, he was ready.

I had trouble reaching the sniper without taking damage and I think I ended up using two smoke bombs getting through this stage when I first played it.

The idea of throwing smoke bombs to avoid getting hit only occurred to me because of a similar tactic which comes up in Valkyria Chronicles.

Thanks everyone for the input. Looking forward to tackling this stage again tomorrow night!
---
#7ThumbPowerPosted 5/8/2014 5:16:14 PM
If you simply enter the sniper house asap, you will miss 40 parts, some sugar, 5 pills, 3/4 alcohol, explosive, and a sense of accomplishment for being thorough.

The first house on the right does not contain anything for Survivor Mode. However, if it is the first house you enter, a hunter will spawn from the kitchen.

I recommend forgoing the first house on the right. The hunter that spawns there will actually spawn from whichever house you enter first, left or right.

When the stage starts, move back and to the left around the vehicle you start behind.
Take the steps or climb the wall from behind cover of the first house on the left (which cannot be entered). Crouch and climb the trash bins and make your way to the tree in front of you.

After the sniper's shot, move to the left and drop down to the second house on the left. There is a checkpoint here that I recommend saving to multiple slots. The game will autosave after your 4th kill and respawn a hunter from the first house you enter after reloading/restarting. This often results in the loss of a molotov you may've picked up from the hunter... this subchapter should be played through from start to sniper rifle.

Enter the kitchen through one of the windows and go to the left side of the hallway opening to the kitchen. Stay close to the wall, as the sniper has an angle on you. Wait for the hunter to run into the kitchen and do a grab melee (choke outs aren't available for some reason).

Use this house as your battleground for the next 4 hunters that spawn, in particular the upper end of the stairs. They will spawn from the other end of the alley when you pass by the exterior kitchen door and 2 may enter the house from the street. Pick them off from the top of the stairs as they inspect the house. You can retreat to the bedroom or the alcove around the banister if needed.

As you continue down the alley you'll encounter two ruins. The ruins closest to the sniper has stairs to an upper floor. Crouch walk up the stairs to spawn the next 4 hunters from the sniper's house. Head back down the stairs and toward the window openings for covered shots on these hunters.

When done, you can grab the binding and sugar on the tables in these ruins, but be careful with the binding. The table on its side can be used for cover, and you can grab it without breaking cover.

Head back to the side alley and crouch in the corner behind a crate. After a sniper shot, climb the fence and cross the street.

Move behind the sniper house to the (initial) right side and enter the kitchen for 25 parts and explosives. Continue to the other side of the street and enter the first house (last house on the right from the start point) for 10 parts and 5 more under the broken porch.

One of the next two houses will spawn a hunter. The next house (with sugar and pills) will spawn him from the upstairs bedroom. The last house (with alcohol) will spawn him from the stairs.

Finally, head back to the sniper house to continue the stage. Keep in mind that upon completion, the game will give you 5 rifle rounds and a one use shiv if you leave room for them.

GL!
TP
---
Search youtube: "The Last of Us: Survivor Mode Kills" for a Kill 'Em All guide (Age Restricted)
#8FredericChopin(Topic Creator)Posted 5/8/2014 6:45:22 PM
ThumbPower posted...
If you simply enter the sniper house asap, you will miss 40 parts, some sugar, 5 pills, 3/4 alcohol, explosive, and a sense of accomplishment for being thorough.

The first house on the right does not contain anything for Survivor Mode. However, if it is the first house you enter, a hunter will spawn from the kitchen.

I recommend forgoing the first house on the right. The hunter that spawns there will actually spawn from whichever house you enter first, left or right.

When the stage starts, move back and to the left around the vehicle you start behind.
Take the steps or climb the wall from behind cover of the first house on the left (which cannot be entered). Crouch and climb the trash bins and make your way to the tree in front of you.

After the sniper's shot, move to the left and drop down to the second house on the left. There is a checkpoint here that I recommend saving to multiple slots. The game will autosave after your 4th kill and respawn a hunter from the first house you enter after reloading/restarting. This often results in the loss of a molotov you may've picked up from the hunter... this subchapter should be played through from start to sniper rifle.

Enter the kitchen through one of the windows and go to the left side of the hallway opening to the kitchen. Stay close to the wall, as the sniper has an angle on you. Wait for the hunter to run into the kitchen and do a grab melee (choke outs aren't available for some reason).

Use this house as your battleground for the next 4 hunters that spawn, in particular the upper end of the stairs. They will spawn from the other end of the alley when you pass by the exterior kitchen door and 2 may enter the house from the street. Pick them off from the top of the stairs as they inspect the house. You can retreat to the bedroom or the alcove around the banister if needed.

As you continue down the alley you'll encounter two ruins. The ruins closest to the sniper has stairs to an upper floor. Crouch walk up the stairs to spawn the next 4 hunters from the sniper's house. Head back down the stairs and toward the window openings for covered shots on these hunters.

When done, you can grab the binding and sugar on the tables in these ruins, but be careful with the binding. The table on its side can be used for cover, and you can grab it without breaking cover.

Head back to the side alley and crouch in the corner behind a crate. After a sniper shot, climb the fence and cross the street.

Move behind the sniper house to the (initial) right side and enter the kitchen for 25 parts and explosives. Continue to the other side of the street and enter the first house (last house on the right from the start point) for 10 parts and 5 more under the broken porch.

One of the next two houses will spawn a hunter. The next house (with sugar and pills) will spawn him from the upstairs bedroom. The last house (with alcohol) will spawn him from the stairs.

Finally, head back to the sniper house to continue the stage. Keep in mind that upon completion, the game will give you 5 rifle rounds and a one use shiv if you leave room for them.

GL!
TP

Tp, thank you for the detailed answer.
I have played around with this particular stage quite a bit, feeling that I must have missed things on the first play through.

I found alot of stuff I missed the first time, including crafting items and "SOS F/W" scrawled in white letters on the roof of one of the houses on the left side of the street. Couldn't figure out what F/W was but another gamefaq member cleared that up with food/water.

I just have to add here that I cannot stand the annoying sarcastic voice of the sniper
---
#9joeybarton94Posted 5/8/2014 6:50:59 PM
on my survivor run-through i didn't go left or right lol. kept taking cover in the middle(iirc theres a crate and a van or something) and once i got close enough and the sniper's hunchmen came out, i threw a couple of smoke bombs and ran inside the house
---
Child of Dunwich rise, you have your fathers eyes. Child of Dunwich rise, end the world that you despise http://www.last.fm/user/Joeybarton94
#10ThumbPowerPosted 5/8/2014 9:13:46 PM
Corrections..

The list of pickups should read as: 40 parts, 3/4 sugar, 5 pills, 3/4 alcohol, 1/2 explosive. The sniper house also has 1/2 blade in the kitchen.

This stage should be played through from the time you drop from the first neighborhood to the time you reach the sniper rifle to avoid checkpoint overlap.
In fact, there are more overlaps after you grab the rifle.. 11 more checkpoints to the end..

The sniper comments make it a little more rewarding when you take him out, but i wish they would've made it more "bosslike" of a confrontation. I would've loved to HRHSK his a$$.

I have a replay where he shoots me just as I'm finishing the grab melee on the first hunter. However, the bullet goes right through me without killing me and he still went into his "HAHAHAHAHA" script...

If/when his comments start bothering you, just remember Joel gets the last laugh.

GL!
TP
---
Search youtube: "The Last of Us: Survivor Mode Kills" for a Kill 'Em All guide (Age Restricted)