If this is the best they could do for Grounded....

#1Xean_LiteheartPosted 5/9/2014 7:17:23 AM
I get the feeling ND kinda changed the combat from, well, TLOU, to MGS style combat.

Take out an enemy here, hang back, strangle an enemy that came over. The only real hard parts were The Dam Defense and Ellie's first half.

That hospital part was actually easier than I thought: there's even a surefire way to get through the first half of it.

""Completed Grounded Mode" may be the hardest trophy you will ever earn"? I don't think so.
#2steamygorengPosted 5/9/2014 3:54:10 PM
Xean_Liteheart posted...
I get the feeling ND kinda changed the combat from, well, TLOU, to MGS style combat.

Take out an enemy here, hang back, strangle an enemy that came over. The only real hard parts were The Dam Defense and Ellie's first half.

That hospital part was actually easier than I thought: there's even a surefire way to get through the first half of it.

""Completed Grounded Mode" may be the hardest trophy you will ever earn"? I don't think so.

K
---
PSN: steamygorengUS
Game Center: steamygoreng
#3TrueChaoSxClXPosted 5/9/2014 7:49:15 PM
I did Left Behind for the first time, blind, on Grounded two days ago.

Honestly, that last encounter (not where you run away), was quite hard. And the encounter itself seemed harder than most of what you have to deal with in the main story, but it came nowhere near the difficulty ND promised. The AI doesn't feel nearly as aggressive or tactical as it needs to be for the game to be hard. It seems outright stupid at times.

For it to truly be difficult, the AI needs better situation awareness, they need to communicate with each other properly and LISTEN to what others are saying (i.e. "She's over there, by the stairs!" .. only one or two guys followed that warning, the others continued dumbly like they were, staring at where I was before running. It should be the other way around)

And they should use their items more tactically too. I've noticed people with Molotovs tend to throw them AFTER I run and stuff, instead of working with their allies. They should try pin me behind cover with suppressive fire while the Molotov thrower readies and throws it at me.

You know, stuff like this... It could make the game so much harder.
---
- PSN: TrueChaoSxTcS
#4TheGray250Posted 5/9/2014 8:12:40 PM
TrueChaoSxClX posted...

Honestly, that last encounter (not where you run away), was quite hard. And the encounter itself seemed harder than most of what you have to deal with in the main story, but it came nowhere near the difficulty ND promised. The AI doesn't feel nearly as aggressive or tactical as it needs to be for the game to be hard. It seems outright stupid at times.

For it to truly be difficult, the AI needs better situation awareness, they need to communicate with each other properly and LISTEN to what others are saying (i.e. "She's over there, by the stairs!" .. only one or two guys followed that warning, the others continued dumbly like they were, staring at where I was before running. It should be the other way around)

And they should use their items more tactically too. I've noticed people with Molotovs tend to throw them AFTER I run and stuff, instead of working with their allies. They should try pin me behind cover with suppressive fire while the Molotov thrower readies and throws it at me.

The game is hard enough as it is! Not like the impossible to complete challenge ND boasted, but Grounded is quite an exciting challenge! Heck, it makes Survivor look like a cake walk in comparison. But I do agree on the A.I. aspect. I mean, it was a bit more aggressive, but I was expecting them to do the things that you pointed out. Being tactical, try to outsmart you, stuff like that. The infected on the other hand give me nightmares!
#5TrueChaoSxClXPosted 5/9/2014 8:27:31 PM
TheGray250 posted...
The game is hard enough as it is! Not like the impossible to complete challenge ND boasted, but Grounded is quite an exciting challenge! Heck, it makes Survivor look like a cake walk in comparison. But I do agree on the A.I. aspect. I mean, it was a bit more aggressive, but I was expecting them to do the things that you pointed out. Being tactical, try to outsmart you, stuff like that. The infected on the other hand give me nightmares!

I think the game is hard for the wrong reasons, sadly =/

It focuses way too much on resource management instead of trying to kill you, haha. I found on my first playthrough, on Hard, the resources available were just perfect, but the game itself isn't hard enough.

I do have to agree, the infected (from my experience with them on Left Behind, that is) are NASTY. Once a Clicker is on to you, it can be a nightmare trying to get away without alerting it, and standard infected are aggressive and strong. It may have just been the expansion itself, but there were times where it really WAS better to just sneak by them and hide from them instead of killing them all like I normally would.

Hell, the part with the Stalkers where you need to get gas from the cars, they are so sensitive I had to resort to bottle/brick cheesing to kill them all. Killing them with your 9mm seemed way harder than normal, but it COULD have just been me (I don't think so though)

They got the infected perfect with this difficulty in my limited experience, the humans still need more done to make them truly difficult.

What I'd like is a custom difficulty option... Where you can choose the item availability rate, enemy AI type (standard or Grounded), infected strength and sensitivity, HUD availability, and so on. Just don't tie trophies to it :3

We know this isn't coming though 3:
---
- PSN: TrueChaoSxTcS
#6TheGray250Posted 5/9/2014 9:31:56 PM
TrueChaoSxClX posted...
TheGray250 posted...

I think the game is hard for the wrong reasons, sadly =/

It focuses way too much on resource management instead of trying to kill you, haha. I found on my first playthrough, on Hard, the resources available were just perfect, but the game itself isn't hard enough.

I do have to agree, the infected (from my experience with them on Left Behind, that is) are NASTY. Once a Clicker is on to you, it can be a nightmare trying to get away without alerting it, and standard infected are aggressive and strong. It may have just been the expansion itself, but there were times where it really WAS better to just sneak by them and hide from them instead of killing them all like I normally would.

Hell, the part with the Stalkers where you need to get gas from the cars, they are so sensitive I had to resort to bottle/brick cheesing to kill them all. Killing them with your 9mm seemed way harder than normal, but it COULD have just been me (I don't think so though)

They got the infected perfect with this difficulty in my limited experience, the humans still need more done to make them truly difficult.

What I'd like is a custom difficulty option... Where you can choose the item availability rate, enemy AI type (standard or Grounded), infected strength and sensitivity, HUD availability, and so on. Just don't tie trophies to it :3

We know this isn't coming though 3:

You know what? That my friend is a really great idea! Yeah, I definitely agree, the humans are really not that hard at all. With the way ND was going on about it, I swore they would be able to spot your allies as a way to stick it to the people who were complaining about it, but...barely a half hour into my Grounded play through I was treated to watching Tess quite literally run around in circles in front of a guy who just couldn't be bothered to react! And like you said, the infected difficulty is PERFECT. I just finished the first Bloater encounter and I had no Molotov's for it. Good God what a fight.
#7Xean_Liteheart(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2014 11:19:52 PM
TheGray250 posted...
TrueChaoSxClX posted...

I dunno, I felt he infected fights were alright, since the increased limitation on items justified the difficulty in getting past them.

The humans, though, were still "easy" in that you could just wait till one came, strangle, then go around back and strangle the dude who came to check on him. The only troubling human part was Grounded David, and even then it wasn't that bad, just a matter of timing plate-stepping and silence.

I didn't even USE any guns except the Bow, outside of the first Bloater and the Sewer parts.

All in all, good job ND, but not good enough. There were even times when hunters stopped patrolling and just stood there! Glitch?
#8GamerDuder1986Posted 5/10/2014 8:09:21 AM
I've been writing down how many bullets I have for each gun. Anyone else do this?
---
YOLO? You Only Live Once? False. You Only Die Once, You Live Every Day.
#9TheGray250Posted 5/10/2014 10:01:59 AM
Xean_Liteheart posted...
TheGray250 posted...
TrueChaoSxClX posted...

I dunno, I felt he infected fights were alright, since the increased limitation on items justified the difficulty in getting past them.

The humans, though, were still "easy" in that you could just wait till one came, strangle, then go around back and strangle the dude who came to check on him. The only troubling human part was Grounded David, and even then it wasn't that bad, just a matter of timing plate-stepping and silence.

I didn't even USE any guns except the Bow, outside of the first Bloater and the Sewer parts.

All in all, good job ND, but not good enough. There were even times when hunters stopped patrolling and just stood there! Glitch?

Of course its a glitch, there will always be glitches. Even with ammunition, infected still give me a hard time. Just one missed shot, just one extra runner that manages to swarm you and you are screwed. Personally, it is more than good enough for me.
#10snake2410Posted 5/10/2014 11:44:31 AM
TheGray250 posted...
Xean_Liteheart posted...
TheGray250 posted...
TrueChaoSxClX posted...

Of course its a glitch, there will always be glitches. Even with ammunition, infected still give me a hard time. Just one missed shot, just one extra runner that manages to swarm you and you are screwed. Personally, it is more than good enough for me.

The hunters freezing in place thing has been around since at least patch 1.05.

As for Grounded is sounds like TC wants every encounter in the game to be like the shack fight in the beginning of The Hunt chapter. My God that fight is tough. Borderline cheap really. They should have had David give you 1 medkit, just one, for those who manage to get cheapshotted when going for ammo or a knife kill when David is grabbed, Considering David is such a weak shot with his peashooter it would at least balance it a little better, given that two hits from the runners are a kill. This fight is soo stupid cheap. I can hit with every bullet and still get cheap shotted when either grabbing ammo or going for a knife kill when they grab David. Its pretty crap.
---
PSN: Snake2410
MG SAGA 100% Trophies x6!, GoW SAGA 6x Plat!, ZoE HD 2x Plat!, N7 Elite x3! C:LoS Saga 3x 100% Trophies!!