Did I just doom humanity? (Ending Spoilers)

#1johnnytanyushuPosted 6/11/2014 1:13:24 AM
I just completed the game and got to the ending. Joel rescuing ellie from the firefly seems like dooming humanity as a whole because it is keeping the vaccine which could have save millions of lives. This is where I think Joel might be a little selfish because throughout the game, the two of them have bonded together so well that he could not bear to see her die.

I like the game even though there are some flaws in it but no matter how I think about it, I cannot justify what has happen in the ending. Is there something wrong with me?
#2izmozeroPosted 6/11/2014 1:36:34 AM
if you view each person's life as infinitely important, neither scenario is better or worse than the other, since one infinity is the same as many infinities
#3MegamanFan814Posted 6/11/2014 1:41:56 AM
Eh, you'll see people on both sides. Typically people with kids say anyone with a child would do the same, people without agree with you. Not a universal rule but a general one.

I never really had much faith in the Fireflies. They are a ragtag group of terrorists that barely knew what they were doing. I mean...take her brain out? Seriously? Not run tests or anything, just take it out! Idiotic. I was in support of saving Ellie from the moment Joel was.
Not mention that on the rare chance a cure we created, humanity would be far from saved. Who did you spend more time fighting in the game, infected or survivors?
---
PSN: MisterPaydon
#4zombieNarutoPosted 6/11/2014 3:00:47 AM
POSSIBLE vaccine. There was no real way of knowing if it would actually work. Besides, the world is already pretty f***** as it is. You'll still have the higher stage infected roaming about and hunters/douchebags doing what they want. A vaccine will do nothing but prevent future infections. People will still die.
---
I r Ninja. I eat brains.
NOO! I DON'T WANNA EAT A GUITAR!!
#5XS_BaggagePosted 6/11/2014 8:33:59 AM
zombieNaruto posted...
POSSIBLE vaccine. There was no real way of knowing if it would actually work. Besides, the world is already pretty f***** as it is. You'll still have the higher stage infected roaming about and hunters/douchebags doing what they want. A vaccine will do nothing but prevent future infections. People will still die.

Exactly. And who's to say that they can't get it from Ellie later on? From some more reputable doctors that DON'T require killing her in the process (and don't have a political agenda to uphold)? Maybe her future children will have the immunity too? There's a lot of variables/unknowns which is why it's so good!
---
"Karate Kid over here thinks he's the best around" ~ Lighter_Thief
#6Sol4688Posted 6/11/2014 10:03:56 AM
It's beyond me how you can play through Winter, experiencing David and his kind firsthand... then tell me Ellie should die so that guys like him can live to see another day.

Ridiculous.
---
PSN: CrimeRoyal
Want a totally awesome webcomic? Check out http://blue-blaster.com/
#7izmozeroPosted 6/11/2014 12:43:52 PM
by supposing that the vaccine would be a slight possibility and that it probably wouldn't save humanity anyway, you are really just avoiding the question and rationalizing.

for me, i agree with joel's decision even if extracting ellie's brain would have created a vaccine that saved everyone
#8MisterEightPosted 6/11/2014 6:03:07 PM
Oh, I think that's a resounding yes. He actively denied the vaccine from coming to fruition.

But whether or not that was the right decision? You'll hear people chime in for both sides.

XS_Baggage posted...
zombieNaruto posted...

Exactly. And who's to say that they can't get it from Ellie later on? From some more reputable doctors that DON'T require killing her in the process (and don't have a political agenda to uphold)? Maybe her future children will have the immunity too? There's a lot of variables/unknowns which is why it's so good!

I understand where you guys are coming from, but I just don't go for it. The in game evidence supports the idea that the vaccine would have been a success. The doctors that evaluated Ellie thought it was possible and all of the audio recordings seem fairly certain of it. It also goes against the theme and tone of the game and provides an easy out for Joel when the entire game is centered around seeing his growth and presenting his "no-good choices" ending.

So while not wrong by any means since it isn't ever said definitively, it just seems far more likely that their would have been a successful vaccine and dragging in hypotheticals doesn't do much to rebut it for me. It's a story that was built to convey a specific message; so in-game elements trump out-of-game elements/hypotheticals for me, even if it is sound reasoning in the real world.

Definitely like the "world is already pretty f***** up" part though and love the idea of their not really being any humanity left to save to begin with since humans devolved into the bigger monsters compared to the infected.
#9Sol4688Posted 6/12/2014 6:31:26 AM
So they get the vaccine. Then what?

The wanted terrorist group is going to calmly stroll into Hunter camps and martial law Zones and say "hey, don't kill us right away, we're gonna help everyone for free!"

Gotta love you guys. Putting more faith in the Firefles than Henry ever did.
---
PSN: CrimeRoyal
Want a totally awesome webcomic? Check out http://blue-blaster.com/
#10Power TurtlePosted 6/13/2014 12:47:55 AM
Yup it's all been said already in this thread.

-It is not a guaranteed vaccine.

-The world is already ****ed beyond all repair.

-The Derpflies would have just used the vaccine for their own agenda.

-Joel was so sick of losing his loved ones, he pretty much lost it and threw all rationality out of the window. He lost Sarah, he lost Tess, and after his feelings for Ellie grew over the year.. he wasn't about to have any of that ****.

-Plus, im not a genius but i did major in biology (for a year) and from what i know about vaccines is.. in order to keep producing vaccines they would have continued to need Ellie's cells. Once they take her brain out of her head, whelp.. her cells just got super limited. Unless just by looking at her cells they could figure out how to stop the infection by using basic infected cells.. in that case im sure there was a doctor SOMEWHERE that could have done surgery on elies head, removed some cells, and NOT kill her like those morons at the Derpflies were trying to do. honestly if they were too dumb to do that then i doubt the could have made a vaccine at all...

Honestly, i think i would have asked Ellie what she wanted to do.. That is the biggest problem i had with the whole thing, it was never said that the asked her.. the just tossed her on the table. **** that. However, im fairly sure Ellie would have said not because i think she states a few times leading up to the end of the game that she thinks the one for all type of thing is stupid.. i forget exactly what they are talking about but it makes it obvious she would not want to die for a potential humanity saving vaccine.
---
lolxbox
Not changing signature until FALLOUT 4 is announced! ~6/10/2013