My view on this game

#1Terry-bogardPosted 7/12/2014 1:55:41 PM
Good things about this game :

- graphics and art direction are stellar
- great characters , good character development , very good actors.
- Sound mood is just right for the type of game.
- melee combat is brutal , dependable , satisfying , and yet very realistic.
- guns sound great (so rare these days).

Bad things about this game :

- only 5 enemy types , humans and like 4 infected
- too many ressources , you never run out of anything except in hard mode and above.
- random loot , would have been much better for a soldier to drop guns and ammos and for infected to drop lesser stuff , ammo drops should have been affected by how many bullets the enemy has shot , this would have made stealth more worthwhile.
- magic teleporting enemies will drop in and out of your earing range , this is affected by scripted event , stairs , some walls and doors.
- autosave every minute , kills any attempt at tension in the game , every encounter can be reloaded in seconds ,the hero is immortal and you don't care about your health.
- Enemies have abysmal Ai , you'll be able to draw every humans to the same point and make a pile of body , monsters patrol like soldiers. Humans charge your shotgun with planks. Enemies with gun will come at melee range everytime.
- the main character has echolocation 3 times as powerful as the "scary blind monster" , which makes him a superhero with super earing and imortality.
- the only sound the enemy can hear is your steps and your weapon , any other character is invisible if yours is in stealth mode. This was necessary because of the terrible pathfinding programming for NPCs, instead of fixing it and give NPCs AIs , they decided to make them invisible as they strut around and climb on tables.
- Stupidity everywhere : you need to get undetected ? Exit is the loudest door in history (multiple times in the game), no response from nearby clickers .
You just escaped with your life ? The heros need to stay quiet to survive ? Elie will try to learn to whistle.
Clickers everywhere ? Escaped with cutscene of Joel grabbed by clickers and saved at the last moment by .... a closed window. This happened a few hours before with a glass door behind which the characters proceeded to scream at each other with the clickers probably 1 meter from there. The heroes are always shouting at each other and make enough sound to be targeted by clickers lurking sri lanka. The "look at me I'm cute" factor clearly clouded the developpers mind regarding Elie which wouldn't have survived 3 minutes according to the logic of the game.
The result is absolutely no immersion because death has no penalty , because the characters make everything to make as much noise as possible and because the monsters and human enemies have PSX worthy AI.

I enjoyed it for the shooting elements and art direction , but the fact is this game was very badly done

Beautiful and fun game , but programmed by poorly directed team with no will to fix what needed to be fixed and just made it worse by trying to cover it with stupid mechanics.

6.5/10
---
Only kids brag about performances in a videogame. Being good at a videogame is only about spending time playing it , nothing special about it.
#2Sol4688Posted 7/12/2014 2:25:09 PM
I love how half of your negative points can all be remedied by "play on harder difficulty."
---
PSN: CrimeRoyal
Want a totally awesome webcomic? Check out http://blue-blaster.com/
#3Terry-bogard(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2014 3:50:51 PM
Sol4688 posted...
I love how half of your negative points can all be remedied by "play on harder difficulty."

Not true. And I went up to "survivor" difficulty.
---
Only kids brag about performances in a videogame. Being good at a videogame is only about spending time playing it , nothing special about it.
#4Ryan-06Posted 7/12/2014 5:36:20 PM
King of fighters sucks! ^_^
---
http://i.imgur.com/exzrVRj.jpg USA...http://i.imgur.com/vosaDLn.png
chocolate: http://ow.ly/t0gvj, Whoou! http://ow.ly/t0g1Y
#5SunsprayHoneyPosted 7/12/2014 6:43:04 PM
I actually agree with everything you wrote although I'd score it a point or two higher as I think I enjoyed the gameplay a bit more than you.

The main thing that disappointed me with this (and a lot AAA games lately) is the lack of enemy variety. When the Bloater was introduced in the high school it was a cool moment, but after that you get nothing. They could've done a lot more with the cordyceps concept. This game and Bioshock Infinite both seemed like they needed even more time in development ,or maybe different devs.
---
I couldn't fix your brakes so I just made the horn a lot louder.
#6cooolioPosted 7/12/2014 7:45:59 PM
That stupidity everywhere part is just waaay to picky. Like seriously? That goes for the abundance of resources too. The only other two difficulties you have are easy and normal and you cannot tell me that you expect easy mode to not have and abundance of supplies.

Honestly, I do not agree with how the AI was done at all except maybe out of stealth. Hell, there are a lot of things I did not like and agree with you about, but my goodness, you cannot expect the transition from gameplay to cutscene to always make since. It is a video game my friend. Nothing will make since if you think to logically about things in movies and games.

Also, are you really going to be critical of Ellie learning how to whistle when she only tries it two times throughout the game?
#7mattklanksPosted 7/12/2014 9:36:04 PM
The game is a 6/10, way too much game play sacrificed for story; and I really don't care that much about another zombie story, even if they are caused by mushrooms.
#8cooolioPosted 7/12/2014 10:02:26 PM
mattklanks posted...
The game is a 6/10, way too much game play sacrificed for story; and I really don't care that much about another zombie story, even if they are caused by mushrooms.

In your opinion, how was gameplay sacrificed for story?
#9blackcry77Posted 7/12/2014 11:18:21 PM
ITT: Everything that has already been argued and discussed before.
---
I'm an otaku, gamer, and writer.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/652997-tekken-tag-tournament-2/63435382
#10ReignOfDestinyPosted 7/13/2014 12:55:18 AM
blackcry77 posted...
ITT: Everything that has already been argued and discussed before.

And most of it negated in Grounded mode.
---
The Official Prosecutor Blackquill of All Boards. All of them.