Tekken noob here, some questions.

#1Mutsu_KenichiPosted 4/30/2012 2:46:51 AM
Please don't kill me. But I heard from my online friend (Soul Calibur player who seems to dislike Tekken) in Tekken you only need to learn 7or 8 moves for each character to win. The rest of moves don't really matter, is that true?

And which character is noob friendly? I only played Jin and Asuka in Tekken 5.
---
Waiting for Gundam Extreme VS, Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown, ZOE HD remake and Dai 2 Ji Super Robot Taisen OG
#2OemeniaPosted 4/30/2012 3:50:26 AM
In Tekken, the bread and butter of your damage are the juggles. For these, you need to learn the launchers, some combos to keep them in the air, a bound move and another combo to finish it off. While youve launched someone, you can only do so much before they are too far to keep hitting, but if they are still within reach, thats when you use bound to bounce them on the floor and keep your combo going for a little longer.

So yes, your friend is right in that sense that if you get a few combos down, its half the battle. However, there is much more to the combat system. Firstly the moves that are available, you to assess when to use them, or which one to use to get the first hit and then go into a juggle . Other moves track players who side step, or there are moves you can use while you back is turned and some that poke enemies to catch them off guard and give you the advantage. On top of that, there are mechanics of the game you need to learn such as the ground game.

As for which character to start off with, you can probably guess that its a character whos juggles are easy to learn. 1up have a great guide on who does so, make sure you check it out. As for Jin and Asuka, they are fairly beginner friendly but their juggles are actually rather weak so i would avoid them.
---
100% PC/PS3/360
#3jnw93Posted 4/30/2012 6:51:33 AM

i find soul cal easier than tekken you get punished alot more in tekken if you make a mistake 

#4AsucaHayashiPosted 4/30/2012 7:02:17 AM
your "friend" is an idiot.

you can watch any half-decent match on YT and see if they just use 7-8 moves to win their games or not.
---
If console gaming is so cheap then why do I have to spend $600~ in order to play Super Mario Galaxy, Uncharted 3 and Halo 3?
#5SpooferPosted 4/30/2012 7:04:27 AM
Your friend was never any good at Tekken.
---
Because... because I've got spikes.
Because I go between the zones, even when I'm not supposed to.
#6Dragunov_4_everPosted 4/30/2012 8:52:19 AM
Ironic that your friend says that because about as many or less moves than that are used in a typical pro-lvl SCV match.
---
TTT2: Dragunov, Marduk, Ogre, Jinpachi, Alisa.
#7Hewie3Posted 4/30/2012 4:05:54 PM

It is funny seeing your friend say that seeing as SoulCalibur characters have roughly 20-30 moves in total while each Tekken characters have 100+. Tekken also has a lot less clone-like characters.

#8Mutsu_Kenichi(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2012 5:57:21 PM
@Oemenia, thank's for the detailed answer. I'm gonna check 1up. Can't wait for this game.
---
Waiting for Gundam Extreme VS, Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown, ZOE HD remake and Dai 2 Ji Super Robot Taisen OG
#9Azuma_NarooNPosted 4/30/2012 9:46:08 PM
Lol @ your friend.

>plays SC, a game where each character has a low number of moves
>accuses another game of only requiring 10% out of movelists which typically comprise of ~100 moves to win a match
---
"Azuma ninja!!" - Random guards in Tenchu series
"Hahahahahahaha - Mara Aramov
#10OemeniaPosted 5/1/2012 7:33:04 AM
Mutsu_Kenichi posted...
@Oemenia, thank's for the detailed answer. I'm gonna check 1up. Can't wait for this game.

No probs, i would suggest that you go pick up Tekken 6 to get a grasp of the combat system as Tekken Tag as the name suggests adds a little bit more complexity with its tag feature.
---
100% PC/PS3/360