RIP to the Tekken I loved and grew up with

#291SpooferPosted 9/29/2012 10:11:23 AM
Stamatos posted...
I'm in the camp of juggles killing the fun of this game and I know it is a controversial subject. For the next Tekken, I'd like to see all launchers at the end of a combo and juggle damage severely reduced. So those that want to juggle need to first learn how to play the game and the full move set instead of spamming launchers after their character stands their and twitches like they're having a seizure. It makes the gameplay look stupid and the spirit of the "fight" pretty cartoony and unbelievable.

I don't understand. If a launcher acts as the start of a juggle combo, or instead comes at the end of a string combo, how does this change the fact that the opponent is eating combo damage? What would be the difference between connecting with the first part of the string combo, rather than the launcher, in terms of learning to play?

You're advocating for the exact same thing in terms of tactics and damage, and only arguing against the visual style of Tekken's combos. Which is silly, since it's been Tekken's type of combo for over 15 years now.
---
Velvet dreams. Starlight beams. Plastic freaks. On the streets.
Take me home. Before I'm dead. SciFi girl. In my head.
#292TJ_UNLIMITED(Topic Creator)Posted 9/29/2012 11:21:40 AM
DougEInstructor posted...
TJ_UNLIMITED posted...
LandscapeManX posted...
TJ_UNLIMITED posted...
Every match I play now is nothing more than people trying to do do a launcher and juggle over and over and over again. No other strategies, no other moves. When I win, it's boring. When I lose, it's annoying.

This series has gone down the tubes.

The Tekken you grew up with didn't have online.
(T1, T2, T3, Tag, T4, T5 <first one)

So you just need to keep playing offline then.
You can blame namco all you like. but no matter which game you play there are always spammers/troll online that's not namco's fault.

It is Namco's fault, as well as the players. The players choose to play that way and Namco chose to allow/emphasize it. It's the way things are now, not much I can do about it. This game is pretty much Steven Spielberg's version of hackey sack.

So tell us what the right way to play is.

Never said anything about a right or wrong way to play. My philosophy has always been that everything is fair game as long as it doesn't involve hacking/glitching/cheating. I mean if you have fun beating on people who can't block or attack, more power to you. I just find that boring.
---
PSN- TJ_UNLIMITED
Gamertag- TJ UNLIMIT3D
#293SpooferPosted 9/29/2012 12:03:05 PM
Strings prevent the opponent from blocking or retaliating when they are natural combos on neutral or counter-hit. All strings are cheap and boring.

Various throws consist of numerous hits that add up to a specified amount of damage. All throws that don't immediately result in a single amount of damage are cheap and boring.

Most every hit in the game results in a period of time where the opponent is recovering from the attack, before they can block again or retaliate. Any move that hits the opponent in the game is cheap and boring.
---
Velvet dreams. Starlight beams. Plastic freaks. On the streets.
Take me home. Before I'm dead. SciFi girl. In my head.
#294Shiro-RedWind-Posted 9/29/2012 12:09:19 PM
Spoofer posted...
Strings prevent the opponent from blocking or retaliating when they are natural combos on neutral or counter-hit. All strings are cheap and boring.

Various throws consist of numerous hits that add up to a specified amount of damage. All throws that don't immediately result in a single amount of damage are cheap and boring.

Most every hit in the game results in a period of time where the opponent is recovering from the attack, before they can block again or retaliate. Any move that hits the opponent in the game is cheap and boring.

I see what you did there, but it's wasted effort man. All of us have pretty much laid the foundation on the line for them. At this point, even if juggles weren't in the game, or toned down, they would still complain. If not about a character, then about a certain strategy, if not about a strategy, then about how it is dumb you can throw in certain strings for certain characters.

At this point in time, I think it is safe to say that casuals want to keep living in the period of time where they never had to learn. I.E. When ignorance was bliss. Things have evolved, and they are bitter about it. So instead of coming to the present with everybody else, they rather put the blame on the company making the product, and the players who have evolved with it.
---
"Gamefaqs doesn't allow Common Sense." - Tifanity
"Shiro -Red Wind- slaying posters with the mighty winds of Asgard as usual." - Sage_Han
#295TJ_UNLIMITED(Topic Creator)Posted 9/29/2012 12:47:17 PM(edited)
Shiro-RedWind- posted...
Spoofer posted...

I see what you did there, but it's wasted effort man. All of us have pretty much laid the foundation on the line for them. At this point, even if juggles weren't in the game, or toned down, they would still complain. If not about a character, then about a certain strategy, if not about a strategy, then about how it is dumb you can throw in certain strings for certain characters.

At this point in time, I think it is safe to say that casuals want to keep living in the period of time where they never had to learn. I.E. When ignorance was bliss. Things have evolved, and they are bitter about it. So instead of coming to the present with everybody else, they rather put the blame on the company making the product, and the players who have evolved with it.

Wow...sorry for being a "casual" instead of a "hardcore video gamer" like you. It's always funny to see someone act all high and mighty because they're more dedicated to video games than other people. I guess this is the one place you'll actually get praise for that, so here's a pat on the back to you.
---
PSN- TJ_UNLIMITED
Gamertag- TJ UNLIMIT3D
#296BombermanGoldPosted 9/29/2012 12:43:16 PM
I mean if you have fun beating on people who can't block or attack, more power to you. I just find that boring.

This is implying that we're supposed to go easy on people who don't know how to defend themselves.

If it were a player LOBBY match, maybe there's the time to screwball around, but if one is in a one-shot Rank or one-shot Player match, all bets are off.
---
"I will be your superhero!!!"
Xbox GT & PSN ID: BombermanGOLD
#297TJ_UNLIMITED(Topic Creator)Posted 9/29/2012 12:52:07 PM
BombermanGold posted...
I mean if you have fun beating on people who can't block or attack, more power to you. I just find that boring.

This is implying that we're supposed to go easy on people who don't know how to defend themselves.

If it were a player LOBBY match, maybe there's the time to screwball around, but if one is in a one-shot Rank or one-shot Player match, all bets are off.

No, I didn't imply anything like that. It's fair game, I just find it boring to beat on people who can't do anything
---
PSN- TJ_UNLIMITED
Gamertag- TJ UNLIMIT3D
#298Violet_LeePosted 9/29/2012 1:42:21 PM
TJ_UNLIMITED posted...
BombermanGold posted...

No, I didn't imply anything like that. It's fair game, I just find it boring to beat on people who can't do anything

I agree with you. Beating on people who can't do anything is boring. But doing anything at all with people who can't do anything, at least for me, is boring as well. If I ever play against a bad player online who can't do anything, I'll usually just throw out my most unsafe, damaging launcher because I just want him to die quickly to end the match quickly and save me the time. Maybe next match someone good is coming up. At least that's how I think. I don't find it "fun" to mess around, unless I'm with friends and/or just testing stupid stuff like item moves.

Sometimes, when I'm introducing and teaching the basics of the game to a newcomer, I'll just defend a lot more than I would and not punish everything I can, just so he can test stuff and actually play a little bit. But I usually find it better to teach two beginners simultaneously so they can duke it out on similar level of strength. It works better and makes the game more fun.

If anything, this game should have a better system to keep track of players skill levels and only match players of similar skill level. That would prevent a good amount of the whining we see around.
#299magmagrunt06Posted 9/29/2012 1:59:11 PM
All you just shut the hell up and enjoy the game-if not, then go **** yourself
---
Currently Playing: Gears of War 3 Gotham City Impostors, Xenblade Chronicles, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, The Last Story, Pokemon Black, Borderlands.
#300koga_wolf_demonPosted 9/29/2012 2:02:07 PM
TJ_UNLIMITED posted...
Shiro-RedWind- posted...
Spoofer posted...

Wow...sorry for being a "casual" instead of a "hardcore video gamer" like you. It's always funny to see someone act all high and mighty because they're more dedicated to video games than other people. I guess this is the one place you'll actually get praise for that, so here's a pat on the back to you.

I have friends that are "casual" gamers and they don't complain about juggles nearly as much as you and other people on the board have.

Then again, they don't play fighters on the same level as I do so yeah.
---
Official Zero of the UMvC3 boards. PSN: ichikoga 3DS: 1418-8073-2172
TTT2: Jun/Jin(Lars) P4A: Akihiko, Yu Now Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance(3DS)