why did they mix native american with chinese martial arts in the 1st place?

#31werewolfgoldPosted 10/6/2012 1:14:19 AM
I can't really speak to "why" they did it, but ... I like it!

I like that Michelle and Julia are "mixed." I like that Bruce isn't Thai (though we could use a Thai character or two) and still uses Muay Thai. It makes things more interesting. It's 2012, and we live in a very intermixed global world. People travel, live in countries other than their own, inter-marry, etc. And yes, people do learn martial fighting styles (among other things) from other cultures.

Now, I'm not saying I think every character should be mixed like this. I'm all for Japanese characters using a Japanese fighting style, Chinese characters using Chinese Martial arts, etc. But I think there's room for more than just those types, too.

YAY for Julia and Michelle! :)

Michelle is "mixed" (Chinese/Native American). Julia as far as we know is "full" Native American (adopted). Although, they haven't actually specified. But, America is cool like that. Julia could be anything really. All that is known is that she was found in Native American ruins when she was a baby.
---
The full moon is beautiful, don't you think? Have you ever had the chance to look at it?
#32xOmniCloudxPosted 10/6/2012 1:33:56 AM
I want to know why Native American characters are stereotypical Texans and rocking cowboy themed clothing. That makes absolutely NO sense seeing the history between the state, theme and those groups of people...
---
This is GameFAQs. People here take great pride in ignoring common sense.
#33silly_sausagePosted 10/6/2012 1:36:44 AM
werewolfgold posted...
Julia could be anything really. All that is known is that she was found in Native American ruins when she was a baby.

She's a changeling!
---
John Lennon, 1940 - (Infinite Symbol)
PSN: naathaann
#34werewolfgoldPosted 10/6/2012 2:24:06 AM
I want to know why Native American characters are stereotypical Texans and rocking cowboy themed clothing. That makes absolutely NO sense seeing the history between the state, theme and those groups of people...

They're from Arizona...? Perhaps Navajo or Apache given the ratios in that state. What makes them a Texas stereotype?
---
The full moon is beautiful, don't you think? Have you ever had the chance to look at it?
#35xOmniCloudxPosted 10/6/2012 4:05:48 AM
werewolfgold posted...

They're from Arizona...? Perhaps Navajo or Apache given the ratios in that state. What makes them a Texas stereotype?

Oh yeah Arizona. Forgot. Still have the stereotypical down southness to them. SO ugh.
---
This is GameFAQs. People here take great pride in ignoring common sense.
#36savorygerbilsPosted 10/6/2012 8:02:46 PM
I'm Native and quite a few members of my family are in the agricultural business. There are not a whole lot of career opportunities on the reservations :| . Also, when managing livestock in the sun cowboy attire works pretty well.
---
Her?
#37silly_sausagePosted 10/6/2012 8:16:36 PM
xOmniCloudx posted...
Oh yeah Arizona. Forgot. Still have the stereotypical down southness to them. SO ugh.

You mean the boots? Other than that, they have the feathered headbands, tanned hide shirts and magical jewelry usually associated with stereotypical Native Americans. And denim hot pants/skirts which aren't associated with any particular group of people.

Hell, Hwoarang is a Korean guy, yet he wears cowboy boots with leather chaps.
---
John Lennon, 1940 - (Infinite Symbol)
PSN: naathaann
#38tstumo27Posted 10/6/2012 8:35:20 PM
Zio_Dyne posted...
Doesn't her just being Native American, and having her own unique style make the game more diverse?
Does her fighting style really need to scream 'hao, me Runs With Leopard Man' at the top of it's lungs?
Kinda rather she not fight with a tomahawk guided by the spirit of the bear, capping off every win by sitting down Indian style to smokum piece pipe...

LMAO! But on a more serious note Julia got a PERSONALITY makeover. And of course her moveset would reflect that. I'm glad Michelle and Julia are not stereotypical. At the end of the day the both take pride in their heritage. I can see people calling foul if it was something that was just left to the wayside. It's represented in their clothing. well, Michelle's this time around and in some of their moves.
#39sham_lixPosted 10/6/2012 8:46:09 PM
why restrict yourself
i myself want to see how it would look like if an arabian and so on using taekwondo instead of korean like in all fighting games
#40mraustindude19Posted 10/6/2012 9:53:25 PM
Taizuku posted...
FullAutoCVT posted...
YermomHoudini posted...
XxBapestar003xX posted...
There is a canadian black guy that does ninjitsu soo.....

raven isn't being defined based on his culture like michelle and julia.

raven's design is clearly ninja based, while the designs of michelle and julia are obviously nature loving native american.

And Bruce uses Muay Thai instead of Black Guy Fighting. Lazy Namco! -_-

Lmao Muay Thai looks pretty damn black to me. But Bruce is from Thailand...so...yeah..

As a thai i didn't know my homeland was located in Africa i always thought it was south of china west of Vietnam i need a map.
---
I'm walkin on sunshine.