Raven parry question

#1MajenXiXPosted 10/5/2012 5:55:22 PM
So could someone explain how his parrys work. I know he has 2 parrys (B+Throw) But there are 2 different throws, I tried it out in training mode and his parrys just teleport him away if he`s hit by a HIGH-hit... it doesn`t work on mids/lows (correct me if I`m wrong)

And then he has the <- <- 2 (or B, B, 2)

And this is actually a hit, but the startup of the move sometimes triggers his HAZ + 4... could someone explain when/why this happens?

This is my first tekken game and I`m really enjoying playing Raven (played him in SFxT) I still suck at the basics of the game so any other tips from you guys would be VERY appreciated, thnx for ur time :)

PS: I`m teaming Raven up with Lars (it seems he gets a lot of hate from what I read on here so I`m not expecting any advice with regards to him)
---
Victory means nothing... The fight, is everything - Ken Masters
: http://www.youtube.com/user/Majern77
#2TwistedSensesPosted 10/5/2012 6:59:49 PM
His parries work on a timing window; a lot of his normal moves get a 'parry/reversal' window and when hit with something in particular--I believe just a normal high/potentially mid punch, he reacts. I'm not sure if it is high -only-, but I'm fairly certain it has to be a -punch- specifically; Tekken does operate similarly to VF in which the limb -does- matter when it comes to particular parries.

His parries each vary depending on which move is used.

b+1+3/b+2+4: He teleports backward
3,3 b+4 (hold b): He teleports backward a bit.(you can see him take a pose)
1+2: Death from above
d+1+2:
BT/SDW 1+2
BT/SDW: f+1+2: Flips over the person
QCF+1+2:
b,b+2: blind ghost iirc

The thing is, they can be a bit unreliable. People like using his b+1+3/2+4 parry when incoming from a tag, to get some space...but generally his 1+2/death from above counters are so slow that it's easy to avoid and punish unless one gets so...frozen in fear from it.
his (warhound i think it is?) b,b+2 is a really strong move all around given it's active frames, few hits, and ability to just kinda interrupt things. Having blind ghost attached is just added benefit; I've no clue if it's actually safe however.

Playing him? I used him in sf x tekken..but that game's focus is a bit different and similar. From what I read, and somewhat understand from his moveset/playstyle...he's pretty big on the counter hits, punishing and mixing up afterward. Get used to moving in tekken a bit more first, and learn Raven's safe stuff...and his pokes. He does a lot better within a further range in which he can attack and mitigate the less than advantageous frames he may be left on.

Head over to the Tekkenzaibatsu, look at his punishers pokes etc. Raven's pretty tricky but you need fundamentals with him by far.
---
Currently playing: UMvC3, VF5:FS
#3MajenXiX(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 7:25:04 PM
wow... thnx man! I`ll head over to TekkenZaibatsu and read up I guess... again, thnx!
---
Victory means nothing... The fight, is everything - Ken Masters
: http://www.youtube.com/user/Majern77
#4TwistedSensesPosted 10/5/2012 8:38:41 PM
MajenXiX posted...
wow... thnx man! I`ll head over to TekkenZaibatsu and read up I guess... again, thnx!

I'm learning him too, so I can only offer my potentially shoddy advice, but I do know those are his moves with the "parrying" property.
---
Currently playing: UMvC3, VF5:FS