Why do people like EWGF so much?

#1Cherry_PoppinsPosted 10/7/2012 12:34:16 PM
It's a generic looking uppercut with lightning effects. So the input to pull off the move requires timing, but is there anything else to it other than that? Why is this like the most talked about move when all it is, is a boring looking uppercut?
#2ChaozCloudPosted 10/7/2012 12:36:37 PM
Because
1. It comes out very fast 13-14 frames
2. It is safe on block
---
PSN: TheRedMage ,only EU players need apply
All praise the poor Shrine Maiden, the Ordinary Magician and the holy being ZUN. Convert to Touhouism today.
#3SpooferPosted 10/7/2012 12:41:42 PM(edited)
You're judging the move based on its appearance, rather than its usefulness? Mmmkkk. (even though its appearance is awesome as well)

It's the fastest launcher in the game, has incredibly deceptive range, does great damage, puts you at frame advantage on block, and can be pulled out of almost any situation. Its one single weakness is that it can be crouched, and to a lesser extent SS'd. It's also a complicated input, signifying the player's skill (especially when you start getting into the deeper aspects of the move, such as PEWGF, dEWGF, WDEWGF, CH d/f+2 EWGF, etc.)

The move represents Tekken.
---
Velvet dreams. Starlight beams. Plastic freaks. On the streets.
Take me home. Before I'm dead. SciFi girl. In my head.
#4FullAutoCVTPosted 10/7/2012 12:56:31 PM
Now, if you're looking for the coolest looking uppercut in Tekken, you've gotta try the Dragon Uppercut. This one is for when you just say "Screw functionality. I got this round. Now time to be as flashy as possible." When you think you can do it, send them flying with this move, and expect a ragequit immediately after the K.O.
---
Vroom Vroooom! FULL AUTO!!!
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/652997-tekken-tag-tournament-2/63435382
#5KenGi1226Posted 10/7/2012 1:06:14 PM
ChaozCloud posted...
Because
1. It comes out very fast 13-14 frames
2. It is safe on block

Not just safe, it has killer frame advantage on block.

It's the best whiff punishing move in the game and that + tag mechanics = no red life for you.
---
(SJ-Fox) Gaming Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/KSJFoX
#6final_chancePosted 10/7/2012 1:21:15 PM
The other weakness besides that it can be ducked, is that you can mess it up and get WGF, which is terrible. It recovers much slower and is launch punishable on block if I remember right.
---
~El Psy Congroo~
PSN ID: FatBeezzee
#7MingriahPosted 10/7/2012 1:22:45 PM
final_chance posted...
The other weakness besides that it can be ducked, is that you can mess it up and get WGF, which is terrible. It recovers much slower and is launch punishable on block if I remember right.

wgf is -10 on block...so not too bad, but punishable

TC, if you're looking for a cool move check out Hei OTGF
---
PSN: Mingriah
CH223 FTW
#8Drunken_SnakePosted 10/7/2012 1:23:50 PM
dat lightning sound
#9KenGi1226Posted 10/7/2012 1:27:32 PM
Actually if you want cool looking, just check out a few throws, wall throws and juggle SW's. All the cutscene flash you could ever want.
---
(SJ-Fox) Gaming Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/KSJFoX
#10SpooferPosted 10/7/2012 1:44:56 PM(edited)
final_chance posted...

I dunno, once EWGF is truly learned, accidentally WGFing is super-rare. I wouldn't consider that a weakness.

I think I've personally WGF'd once since TTT2 came out. I'm much more likely to accidentally d+2 or d/f+2 (accidentally d/f+2ing can sometimes be advantageous, lol...).
---
Velvet dreams. Starlight beams. Plastic freaks. On the streets.
Take me home. Before I'm dead. SciFi girl. In my head.