Tutorial Videos Inside! WATCH THEM! PLEEEEASE!

#61MajenXiXPosted 12/5/2012 3:56:58 AM
It sucks that this game has such a steep learning curve... it`s fun, and I`m pretty good at it... but trying to get friends into it is a nightmare... I can`t ask them to watch several hours of youtube tutorials and "study" stuff... wish the game was more intuitive...

just my two cents, I`m sure some people would call my friends lazy, but I cant really blame them...
---
Victory means nothing... The fight, is everything - Ken Masters
: http://www.youtube.com/user/Majern77
#62KonaseRitsukoPosted 12/5/2012 4:25:50 AM
MajenXiX posted...
but trying to get friends into it is a nightmare...

This so much. I only know 2 people in my college who play Tekken decently. The rest.. "oh yeah let's play Tekken!" *starts spamming*
---
Just f*** my 2007 username.
PSN: GIZOUGHTE
#63retep_onePosted 12/5/2012 8:41:08 AM
read opener on why this thread was made

Morning Bread & Butter - Ep 18 - Kazuya Mishima
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBx0sEv2m1A&feature=player_embedded

according the the LUYG website next up is Jin
---
PSN: Spectre0415
currently playing: tekken tag tournament 2, borderlands 2, nba 2k13, resident evil 6, skyrim
#64BlackShinobi13(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 9:37:58 AM
MajenXiX posted...
It sucks that this game has such a steep learning curve... it`s fun, and I`m pretty good at it... but trying to get friends into it is a nightmare... I can`t ask them to watch several hours of youtube tutorials and "study" stuff... wish the game was more intuitive...

just my two cents, I`m sure some people would call my friends lazy, but I cant really blame them...

If you're trying to show someone else to play you don't need to show them all of these videos, you don't need to show them any of them if you've watched and understand them; all you need to do if get the default new player bad information out of their head as soon as possible.

Explain to them
- That you do not need to be, if fact you shouldn't be, nose to nose with your opponent for the entire match and that tekken is about spacing.
- How High, Mid and lows work
- The fact that this isn't a 2D game and they have a sidestep/ sidewalk option
- How to break throws
- That bad move will get you punished, which is easier to show by actually punishing them than by telling them.
- How to up get off the ground

If you can get those through to them they'll have a big advantage on other people who just started playing without that information.
#65MajenXiXPosted 12/7/2012 8:28:20 PM
I guess telling them those things could help... but as I said earlier, I wish the game was more intuitive... breaking throws for example doesn`t feel natural, telling my friends to look out for which hand reached out first or if they both reached out at the same time etc... it`s easy on paper, but they still have to go into training mode and practice throw breaking for several days before the results start showing up in matches...

same goes for the insanely high amount of moves/strings you have to learn in order to "react" to lows and other shenanigans... you`re not blocking capos/lei/zafina strings until you`ve learned their variations which could also take a very long time... a time where these beginners will just keep losing to said strings and find the game "cheap" :(

I could say "your character is just as cheap if you put in the time to learn his crouch dash, back-dash canceling, side step-canceling, instant while running and his 10 key moves etc etc"

But that will still seem like work to them... I`m finding tekken a lot more fun than SF/UMvC3 at the moment... I just had an easier time getting friends into those games than this...
---
Victory means nothing... The fight, is everything - Ken Masters
: http://www.youtube.com/user/Majern77
#66GuyverXDPosted 12/7/2012 9:37:59 PM
this will help me achieve goal in become an Immortal Tekken God
---
Stand tall and Shake the heavens
#67BlackShinobi13(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2012 2:33:00 AM
Morning Bread & Butter - Ep 19 - Jin Kazama
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyQs2GTnXtw
#68ipsel50Posted 12/10/2012 4:15:05 PM
I think there should be a tutorial video for Armor King by Aris pretty soon on YT.
---
RIP SouthTown Arcade 2010-2012 PSN ID: strider_kiryu AE: Rose, T.Hawk TTT2: Feng&Jinpachi KoFXIII: Saiki/Clark/Kyo Hwa/Iori/Kim
#69Dark SymphonyPosted 12/10/2012 4:52:57 PM

If you're trying to show someone else to play you don't need to show them all of these videos, you don't need to show them any of them if you've watched and understand them; all you need to do if get the default new player bad information out of their head as soon as possible.

Explain to them
- That you do not need to be, if fact you shouldn't be, nose to nose with your opponent for the entire match and that tekken is about spacing.
- How High, Mid and lows work
- The fact that this isn't a 2D game and they have a sidestep/ sidewalk option
- How to break throws
- That bad move will get you punished, which is easier to show by actually punishing them than by telling them.
- How to up get off the ground

If you can get those through to them they'll have a big advantage on other people who just started playing without that information.

This is terrible advice and should be ignored.
#70The_DarkwalkerPosted 12/10/2012 6:22:46 PM
Nice! I have a lot of catching up to do!

*Tags*
(pun fully intended)
---
Evil always wins because Good is dumb.