Tip for evolving Magikarp into Gyarados.

#1KingofGames2010Posted 7/5/2012 11:26:51 AM
The reason I'm posting this because I've seen quite a few topics of people having trouble with evolving Magikarp. It can be somewhat easy without using the password. I was able to get Takeyoshi a gyrados as soon as possible(without password) in 2 ingame months.

If you're just starting a new game, I recommend you save after you conquer Violight but don't go into the next month. You should then go to the next month to see if there's a Magikarp in Fontaine, if not reset and repeat until there is. If you're past the beginning then disregard those steps and begin with these:

1. Save before going into fontaine that has a magikarp.
2. Send your 5 strongest pokemon and the warrior who you want to get a Gyarados.
3. Once inside, check the Magikarp's stats.
4. Only link with it if it's attack is close to 16.
5. If not press START and go to the title screen and then repeat steps 2-4.

It takes a bit of luck and patience but you can save the password if you want. The stronger your pokemon are, the more effective it'll be. Enemy pokemon scale to your pokemons level. This can also help with other pokemon like Abra. Hope this helps!
#2biopouvoirPosted 7/5/2012 12:07:48 PM
There's an easier method if you're in the post-game: just upgrade the locations in Fontaine to level 3, then when the Gyarados appears link with it. If you feel a need to complete the perfect links section for that warrior, you can link with another Magikarp, but it's really not necessary to evolve one.
#3KingofGames2010(Topic Creator)Posted 7/5/2012 1:37:18 PM
biopouvoir posted...
There's an easier method if you're in the post-game: just upgrade the locations in Fontaine to level 3, then when the Gyarados appears link with it. If you feel a need to complete the perfect links section for that warrior, you can link with another Magikarp, but it's really not necessary to evolve one.

I was mainly talking about the beginning of the game in the main story. I guess that can be better for the postgame. Though, You can still use this method without having to upgrade fontaine. The Password is the easiest way but some may want to use them later.