The Pistol should also be optional

#11ZorlondPosted 10/8/2012 1:54:38 AM
ManBe4rPig2021 posted...
have none of you in this thread played ufo: enemy unknown?

I have. Apparently you haven't tried reloading your gun in the demo. All your soldiers have inifinite clips on their bodies, effectively (in reality, you'd only need to reload once, maybe twice, per combat mission, if that). But reloading comes at a price. Doing so ends your soldier's turn, it doesn't take a small measure of time units to do so, leaving you with plenty to take a quick shot or two with.

So, if you're standing there, enemy in your face and about to shoot you, all paths away from him are covered by other enemies, and your main weapon has no bullets in it right then, are you saying you'd end your soldier's turn by having him reload? Or would you instead have him whip out his pistol (which does not end his turn) and try to kill the enemy before they can shoot?
#12Kroguys(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 7:53:43 AM
It might be a bad idea for your Assult to not carry a side arm. But facing multiple enemies and shooting one of them with a pistol is probably not going to save you anyways. Plus that situation won't happen all that often if you play carefully. It would depend on your play style.

But I think the Support will definitely benefit from carrying another piece of equipment other than a pistol. Such as extra armor for survival or maybe even an extra medkit.
#13RVallantPosted 10/8/2012 8:59:54 AM
^Pistols aren't that bad iirc, I always ran a scout in my squad who had tons of TU + pistols. He always got plenty of kills.

I agree with Zorland tho.
#14sifer2Posted 10/8/2012 11:15:34 AM
Laser Pistol with auto fire was actually pretty bad ass in the original game. Anyway I agree it's dumb not to be able to replace Pistol with something else like a stun rod. Especially since we have infinite ammo anyway.
#15DuneManPosted 10/8/2012 11:23:36 AM
Oddly Snipers are best served with a good pistol. This is due in part to their Gunslinger perk, should you choose to take it. If you capture a Plasma Pistol from a Sectoid it should deal 6 damage with Gunslinger, IIRC. That's better damage than the standard Sniper Rifle. I'd personally consider on Snap Shot builds, for use on maps with a known interior zone.
---
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao
#16PoppadopPosted 10/8/2012 5:21:11 PM
LOL, Snap Shot builds.
But yeah, Gunslinger is good for any sniper due to sniper rifles' innate close-to-mid-range accuracy penalty.
---
"Today, science fiction - tomorrow, science fact." ~ Isaac Asimov
"What's the point of living if you don't believe in anything?" ~ Me
#17crunchb3rryPosted 10/8/2012 7:20:07 PM
That is one thing that bums me out. That you can't forgo the pistol (it's only mandatory because it has infinite ammo, to make it fair so at least you can fight back a little before getting destroyed).

What bums me out the most is the limited weaponry. No fancy grenades, incendiary ammo, etc. And the worst is you can't research enemy items and use them with your squad.

Whatever though, I'm going to play this game until my eyes bleed. Luckily I've got the next two days off from work.
#18Kroguys(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 7:32:30 PM
DuneMan posted...
Oddly Snipers are best served with a good pistol. This is due in part to their Gunslinger perk, should you choose to take it. If you capture a Plasma Pistol from a Sectoid it should deal 6 damage with Gunslinger, IIRC. That's better damage than the standard Sniper Rifle. I'd personally consider on Snap Shot builds, for use on maps with a known interior zone.

With a pistol, you don't need Snap Shot, since you can still shoot after you move. But I agree, I think the pistol is best used by the Sniper class. I'm thinking Gunslinger, Disabling shoot and Double Tap. Even if I don't kill the target, it won't be able to shoot back.
#19DuneManPosted 10/8/2012 8:51:36 PM
Kroguys posted...
With a pistol, you don't need Snap Shot, since you can still shoot after you move. But I agree, I think the pistol is best used by the Sniper class. I'm thinking Gunslinger, Disabling shoot and Double Tap. Even if I don't kill the target, it won't be able to shoot back.

I know 80% of Snipers will follow the Dead Eye line of perks as seen in multiplayer, i.e. Squad Sight with Damned Good Ground and Opportunist. But I think having a Snap Shot sniper as a second string unit might be beneficial on certain maps, mostly multi-building urban maps or large interior maps like alien bases. This is admittedly assuming that you an still use special shots after moving, which all require use of the sniper rifle.
---
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao
#20Kroguys(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2012 9:41:21 PM
Hmm, if all of the special shots require the sniper rifle, then Snap Shot would be the way to go for sure. But at the same time, the pistol just got a ton weaker. Still worth carrying with Gunslinger perk I guess, especially since we don't really have a choice.