How many old xcom vets here?

#11SapierPosted 10/7/2012 8:12:59 AM
UFO Enemy Unknown (it first name) is still one of my faviorate games. I have owned a copy in one form or another from when it was first released.

I had a copy on my Amiga 500+, it came on 5 (i think) floppy disks. Disk 3 had to be copied from the master disks for every game or you would start with a very hard difficulty (the disk had to be write enabled.) terror turns could take more than an hour but I fell in love with the game.

I never completed it on the Amiga as base attacks took WAAAAY to long.

I got a PC and TFTD in 95 or 96 and I had x-com Apocalypse on pre-order, in fact I still own a copy of the Xcom Apocalypse demo CD the the PC Zone the game came with.

I own copys of interceptor, xcom email and the terrible enforcer

I think I owned all xcom clones that have been released too.

so, yes I am a veteran.
#12ManiusPrimePosted 10/7/2012 8:27:05 AM
I love X-Com UFO defense. I played that so much. I can't wait for this game.
---
Manius
Imperator
#13Romaru21Posted 10/7/2012 8:30:18 AM
If there ever was an old regular on the XCom boards it would be SpaceAgeSamurai.

He's like the grizzled old barman telling his stories of the unseen war and how he once shot a blaster launcher up a Chrysalids jacksie.

And you never get bored of the stories :)
---
"It's not a cookie. It's a scone!!" - Major Zero (MGS3)
#14The_tall_midgetPosted 10/7/2012 6:16:36 PM(edited)
Lolvets.

I think you meant : "Group of unknowns trying to make themselves feel more important or better than they are".

Never failed to make me chuckle every time I saw that on the monster hunter boards.
---
When you're not sure if you want to go to a family gathering, ask yourself this : would you hang out with these people if you weren't related?
#15boogerloverPosted 10/7/2012 8:18:28 PM
me
#16NameUsedBeforePosted 10/7/2012 8:40:29 PM
The_tall_midget posted...
Lolvets.

I think you meant : "Group of unknowns trying to make themselves feel more important or better than they are".

Never failed to make me chuckle every time I saw that on the monster hunter boards.

"Vets" are just folks who have been with a series for awhile and are often helpful to the uninitiated.

---
"They have got their **** in the bag!" R.L. Ermey's thoughts on PC Gamer.
#17Rone8822Posted 10/7/2012 8:57:35 PM
Midget just trolls the forum for "vet" posts. God forbid this game rekindles nostalgia for anyone and they seek out others that played an old game.
#18Iffy_JotterePosted 10/7/2012 10:22:55 PM
My experiences with the original X-com go like this:

In the early 2000's, I picked up a game for GBA called Rebelstar Tactical Command, and learned it's creator, Julian Gollop, created this game, X-com UFO Defense, first. I downloaded and played it with no manual and was promptly stumped, and left it untouched on my hard drive for a number of years, distracted as I was by my console games.

As we entered 2012, Game Informer had a cover story on the Remake of X-com. I was naturally intrigued, having had the prior experience with X-com and Rebelstar. I was immediately excited. So much so, that on my new computer, four months ago, I bought the old X-com on steam for $5, and renewed my determination to learn it.

I haven't even beaten beginner mode yet, but still swear by the old game as something that must be played at least once, and appreciated, before learning the new game.
---
"The wages of sin is death... but the hours are good." ---Psycrow, Earthworm Jim cartoon
#19moyashi101Posted 10/8/2012 12:01:45 AM
dragon0085 posted...

Btw, I dont know much about multiplayer, but it will be fun to play you guys!

Multiplayer looks pretty good!

Here is a good video showing multiplayer..... a few words of warning; the video is a bit long, and may have temporal side effects (cause time between now and the release day to go slower). ;-)

http://www.gamespot.com/xcom-enemy-unknown/videos/gamespot-battle-for-xcom-enemy-unknown-supremacy-6397801/?tag=Topslot;XcomEnemyUnknown;BattleForXcomEnemyUn
#20KharilllePosted 10/8/2012 12:24:29 AM
I still remember playing the demo of xcom, I think it came with one of the PC mags in the 90's... Finally managed to win by walking out, shooting with my laser rifle and walking back in. It was a nasty one, a terror mission vs snakemen and....

chrysallids.

*Looks left*
*Looks right*
*Looks behind...*