How many old xcom vets here?

#21xJehodxPosted 10/7/2012 11:41:57 PM
I played it way, way, way back in the 90's.
---
"Sa souvraya niende misain ye."
PSN - Habbalah
#22MJEmirzianPosted 10/8/2012 3:42:45 AM
If all you've played is x-com, maybe you'd like to check out some other tactics games out there.. some of which are more difficult and in depth than x-com.

http://www.tbstactics.com/2010/11/recommended-turn-based-tactics-games.html
---
http://www.tbstactics.com - Tactical Insights. Tactical turn based and tactical/strategy game news/reviews.
#23f_ranz1224Posted 10/8/2012 4:02:52 AM
just UFO defense. played a game just about a year and a half ago

one of those games you just redo every couple of years

nothing has really come close to it except those UFO games
---
everyone in this world is good for something. Even the worst human being is the BEST example of what NOT to be
#24GynthaeresPosted 10/8/2012 6:49:57 AM
I played a bunch of the original X-Com years ago. I actually got my copy for free a few years ago, from PC Gamer. One of their CDs was "PC Classic Games Collection" featuring 12 games, including Duke Nukem 2, Ultima Underworld, Ultima 1, Wing Commander, and significant to this topioc, X-COM: UFO Defense.

That was my intro to X-Com, and I played a ton of it. Never did beat it, but came close.

The_tall_midget posted...
Lolvets.

I think you meant : "Group of unknowns trying to make themselves feel more important or better than they are".

Never failed to make me chuckle every time I saw that on the monster hunter boards.

As was said in another topic, you must be new to the Internet. Or, you're just picking something random and insignificant to crusade against.
"Vet" is short for "veteran". It CAN be combat / valor-related, but it doesn't have to be. More often, it's just used interchangeably with "experienced".

And yes, within that circle, it can be a bit more important. Something doesn't have to be national or world-wide to be significant to a small group of people. If I know a "chess vet", that doesn't mean he won a world championship, it just means he's been playing the game for a long time and knows a lot about it. And as such, if I'm interested in playing / learning the game, I may look on him with a bit more respect.
---
The sole purpose of this space is to make my post look longer.
#25The_tall_midgetPosted 10/8/2012 8:11:20 AM(edited)
Gynthaeres posted...

As was said in another topic, you must be new to the Internet. Or, you're just picking something random and insignificant to crusade against.
"Vet" is short for "veteran". It CAN be combat / valor-related, but it doesn't have to be. More often, it's just used interchangeably with "experienced".

And yes, within that circle, it can be a bit more important. Something doesn't have to be national or world-wide to be significant to a small group of people. If I know a "chess vet", that doesn't mean he won a world championship, it just means he's been playing the game for a long time and knows a lot about it. And as such, if I'm interested in playing / learning the game, I may look on him with a bit more respect.

And as I said in another topic, never heard of you and vet is an abused term used by people in a pathetic attempt to justify themselves.

On the monster hunter U boards, there used to be this self proclaimed gurl user which was ADAMANT about being a "MH vet". She would demand respect because she had been playing forever and had a following of other self proclaimed vet nerds defending her in the usual white geek fashion.

Funniest thing about all that? We found out eventually that she was a TERRIBLE player. She would die constantly in games, had problems with some of the easiest bosses and was stuck at rank 8 when the remotely average players were done with the entire game including all training schools. She didn't even finish the damn thing as far as she admitted.

At one point she started a crusade against one user who wasn't much of a lolvet but was helpful to a lot of users. Simply because he "he was new and didn't show respect to the vets". She was ridiculed off the board by the people who were tired of her "we vetz, we deserve respect" bull ****.

So yeah... Keep convincing yourself that "lolvet" is a special status which indicates something. To quite a few people, you're trying too hard.
---
When you're not sure if you want to go to a family gathering, ask yourself this : would you hang out with these people if you weren't related?
#26Mentalpatient87Posted 10/8/2012 8:57:19 AM
I tried to play TFTD in the late 90s, but couldn't even figure out the mechanics. I was young and "turn based" wasn't really clicking with me. I don't know, looking back it was kinda dumb of me.

Picked up the XCOM series on Steam sale... what has to be four or five years ago now. Just started playing UFO Defense about a year ago after watching a Yogscast video that finally made it click. Loved the game, but kept getting my ass slowly but surely kicked on Beginner..

I've got one thing going right now that seems to be salvageable, now that I heard someone suggest building a bunch of stuff to sell. I'm kind of at this money wall, and I keep losing good soldiers (and flying suits) on every mission. And this is on frickin' Beginner so I can only conclude that I kinda suck at this..

Really excited for this reboot, and honestly, I hope it's just about as unforgiving.
---
"When I'm gone, they'll just find another monster." - Dutch van der Linde
#27Mentalpatient87Posted 10/8/2012 9:03:38 AM
And as I said in another topic, never heard of you and vet is an abused term used by people in a pathetic attempt to justify themselves.

Double-post, but:
You know what else is used by people in a pathetic attempt to justify themselves? Cyber-bullying and long-winded rants over trivial crap online. Great job, man. You really one-upped some chick over the internet about her Monster Hunter skillz. That makes you a big man. I'm glad you could share you Big Man Story with all of us..
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/hangover.gif
---
"When I'm gone, they'll just find another monster." - Dutch van der Linde
#28SpaceAgeSamuraiPosted 10/8/2012 9:34:21 AM
On the monster hunter U boards, there used to be this self proclaimed gurl user which was ADAMANT about being a "MH vet". She would demand respect because she had been playing forever and had a following of other self proclaimed vet nerds defending her in the usual white geek fashion.

Funniest thing about all that? We found out eventually that she was a TERRIBLE player. She would die constantly in games, had problems with some of the easiest bosses and was stuck at rank 8 when the remotely average players were done with the entire game including all training schools. She didn't even finish the damn thing as far as she admitted.

At one point she started a crusade against one user who wasn't much of a lolvet but was helpful to a lot of users. Simply because he "he was new and didn't show respect to the vets". She was ridiculed off the board by the people who were tired of her "we vetz, we deserve respect" bull ****.

So yeah... Keep convincing yourself that "lolvet" is a special status which indicates something. To quite a few people, you're trying too hard.

That's an entirely different scenario, and genuinely worthy of ridicule. I don't think anyone here has, even once, demanded to be treated better (or even differently) than anyone else, simply because they're "veterans." The sole purpose of branding themselves vets is simply as a shorthand to provide some context to their explanations, as someone who has played the games for a while (as oppose to a newbie making cursory examinations, based on a few hours of game time).
---
When all else fails, read the instructions.
#29MJEmirzianPosted 10/8/2012 9:36:31 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#30The Elite1Posted 10/8/2012 9:35:05 AM
Old X-COM vet here. Wasn't a member of GameFAQs in 1994 though.
---
"But officer, those dead fanboys were buried under the house long before I moved in."
GAMING PODCASTS & REVIEWS @ http://www.popcultureshock.com
More topics from this board...
Psi questionLiger8188212/21 2:02PM