X-COM Vet = start on classic?

#1Rone8822Posted 10/7/2012 9:21:14 AM
After reading this interview about the difficulty:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/10/06/xcom-s-classic-ironman-mode-is-an-even-match-for-its-creator.aspx

I am thinking I am going to start on classic. Normally I would run through on the default difficulty to familiarize myself with the game but he makes normal sound way too easy.

I played X-COM, TFTD, and APOC so I don't want to just blow through normal. I shudder to think how the easy difficulty must be but it is nice to know there is a great deal of variation in the difficulty, should help replay value.
#2Village IdiotPosted 10/7/2012 12:37:53 PM
Longtime XCOM fans will beat the game and then replay it because doing so unlocks a bunch of options that was in the original game including:

-Weapons does a wide range of damage
-Must research a psychic alien before being able to research PSI
-Soldiers being wounded reduces their stats for the rest of the mission (ie: fatal wounds in the original)
-Countries offer less funding depending on panic levels
-Greatly lowers the chance that a soldier will be PSI capable
---
Actually, since Wedge Antilles > Carriers, and Carriers = Instant win, then it should be Wedge Antilles > Instant win. He's just that good XD -PsionicDude
#3Koishi_KomeijiPosted 10/7/2012 5:07:37 PM(edited)
What was the highest difficulty you've beaten the original on? If it's Veteran or higher, go Classic to start with. If it's Experienced, consider Normal Ironman or Classic.
---
I'm not with you.
You're not with me.
#4hindupushupPosted 10/7/2012 5:16:13 PM
Unless you downloaded a major third party update for the first X-Com, it doesn't matter what difficulty level you picked - the game always played at the beginner level no matter what. No difference between difficulties. None.
#5Koishi_KomeijiPosted 10/7/2012 5:37:56 PM
That's very true, though I think the bug was fixed in the Windows-based Collector's Edition.
---
I'm not with you.
You're not with me.
#6The_tall_midgetPosted 10/7/2012 6:05:42 PM
Okay so I always wondered... Why people feel the URGE/NEED to mention that they're vets?

Do they give a medal? Is there a ceremony somewhere? Are we talking about animal care?

Why not just ask if you should start on classic? Must I salute or something?
---
When you're not sure if you want to go to a family gathering, ask yourself this : would you hang out with these people if you weren't related?
#7SpaceAgeSamuraiPosted 10/7/2012 7:07:25 PM
Koishi_Komeiji posted...
That's very true, though I think the bug was fixed in the Windows-based Collector's Edition.

That is also true, so it was entirely possible to play a proper game on Superhuman, either by playing the Collector's Edition, or by installing xcomutil over the DOS version ... and a great many of us have done one or the other.
---
When all else fails, read the instructions.
#8Village IdiotPosted 10/7/2012 7:07:51 PM
hindupushup posted...
Unless you downloaded a major third party update for the first X-Com, it doesn't matter what difficulty level you picked - the game always played at the beginner level no matter what. No difference between difficulties. None.

Ya I was surprised when I found that out years after I played TFTD, since I picked Veteran difficulty and was getting my ass kicked, never realising that I was actually playing on Beginner.
---
Actually, since Wedge Antilles > Carriers, and Carriers = Instant win, then it should be Wedge Antilles > Instant win. He's just that good XD -PsionicDude
#9Rone8822(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2012 7:52:10 PM
The_tall_midget posted...
Okay so I always wondered... Why people feel the URGE/NEED to mention that they're vets?

Do they give a medal? Is there a ceremony somewhere? Are we talking about animal care?

Why not just ask if you should start on classic? Must I salute or something?

It means they are familiar with the core concepts of the game and are trying to select a difficulty that suits it. Those that have played the original and are knowledgeable about this new version will be drawn to the topic and hopefully (as the non $%^holes did) answer it.

Next time use basic reasoning/logic/deduction instead of snark filled $%^& comments and you will answer your own question instead of getting added to the ignore list.
#10Village IdiotPosted 10/7/2012 8:00:40 PM
Also some people that have played the original X-COM games might want to start at a similar difficulty, rather than Super Easy Mode.
---
More topics from this board...
Psi questionLiger8188212/21 2:02PM