X-COM Vet = start on classic?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  3. X-COM Vet = start on classic?
4 years ago#1
After reading this interview about the difficulty:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/10/06/xcom-s-classic-ironman-mode-is-an-even-match-for-its-creator.aspx

I am thinking I am going to start on classic. Normally I would run through on the default difficulty to familiarize myself with the game but he makes normal sound way too easy.

I played X-COM, TFTD, and APOC so I don't want to just blow through normal. I shudder to think how the easy difficulty must be but it is nice to know there is a great deal of variation in the difficulty, should help replay value.
4 years ago#2
Longtime XCOM fans will beat the game and then replay it because doing so unlocks a bunch of options that was in the original game including:

-Weapons does a wide range of damage
-Must research a psychic alien before being able to research PSI
-Soldiers being wounded reduces their stats for the rest of the mission (ie: fatal wounds in the original)
-Countries offer less funding depending on panic levels
-Greatly lowers the chance that a soldier will be PSI capable
Actually, since Wedge Antilles > Carriers, and Carriers = Instant win, then it should be Wedge Antilles > Instant win. He's just that good XD -PsionicDude
4 years ago#3
What was the highest difficulty you've beaten the original on? If it's Veteran or higher, go Classic to start with. If it's Experienced, consider Normal Ironman or Classic.
I'm not with you.
You're not with me.
4 years ago#4
Unless you downloaded a major third party update for the first X-Com, it doesn't matter what difficulty level you picked - the game always played at the beginner level no matter what. No difference between difficulties. None.
4 years ago#5
That's very true, though I think the bug was fixed in the Windows-based Collector's Edition.
I'm not with you.
You're not with me.
4 years ago#6
Okay so I always wondered... Why people feel the URGE/NEED to mention that they're vets?

Do they give a medal? Is there a ceremony somewhere? Are we talking about animal care?

Why not just ask if you should start on classic? Must I salute or something?
When you're not sure if you want to go to a family gathering, ask yourself this : would you hang out with these people if you weren't related?
4 years ago#7
Koishi_Komeiji posted...
That's very true, though I think the bug was fixed in the Windows-based Collector's Edition.

That is also true, so it was entirely possible to play a proper game on Superhuman, either by playing the Collector's Edition, or by installing xcomutil over the DOS version ... and a great many of us have done one or the other.
When all else fails, read the instructions.
4 years ago#8
hindupushup posted...
Unless you downloaded a major third party update for the first X-Com, it doesn't matter what difficulty level you picked - the game always played at the beginner level no matter what. No difference between difficulties. None.

Ya I was surprised when I found that out years after I played TFTD, since I picked Veteran difficulty and was getting my ass kicked, never realising that I was actually playing on Beginner.
Actually, since Wedge Antilles > Carriers, and Carriers = Instant win, then it should be Wedge Antilles > Instant win. He's just that good XD -PsionicDude
4 years ago#9
The_tall_midget posted...
Okay so I always wondered... Why people feel the URGE/NEED to mention that they're vets?

Do they give a medal? Is there a ceremony somewhere? Are we talking about animal care?

Why not just ask if you should start on classic? Must I salute or something?

It means they are familiar with the core concepts of the game and are trying to select a difficulty that suits it. Those that have played the original and are knowledgeable about this new version will be drawn to the topic and hopefully (as the non $%^holes did) answer it.

Next time use basic reasoning/logic/deduction instead of snark filled $%^& comments and you will answer your own question instead of getting added to the ignore list.
4 years ago#10
Also some people that have played the original X-COM games might want to start at a similar difficulty, rather than Super Easy Mode.
  1. Boards
  2. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  3. X-COM Vet = start on classic?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived