The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

XCOM Tips N' Tricks thread!

#1DisastersaurusPosted 10/8/2012 11:49:10 PM
So with the game out, I think it's high time for XCOM's commanders to start putting into the pool of info. Here's a thread for everyone to offer their useful info.

Here's a couple from my Ironman Classic run I'm doing so far:

1. Be very careful with dashing and don't put much trust in half cover. My personal dash rule is 'only dash to full cover, only ever use half-cover if I can hunker down or overwatch'.

2. Corpses and research are valuable, but don't be afraid to grenade or rocket clusters of Sectoids when things get hot. Their weapon fragments can be useful, but you typically get a lot of these, and a few Sectoids can -really- give you trouble at the wrong times.

3. Don't rely on one squad. Your veterans -will- get injured. When a mission looks like it won't be too hard, try bringing in one rookie so they can get promoted and you always have backups for injured squadmates.

So! Your tips?
---
Game streams and recordings with commentary!: http://www.twitch.tv/disastersaurus
#2TronikPosted 10/9/2012 12:53:53 AM
This is a big one, start a new game, after starting a play through on the campaign pasted the first area. You'll see the option advanced, turn off the tutorial and NOW start a new game. You'll get a better advantage and likely won't loose your first squad, which helps get you a nice jump in Normal, is needed in Classic.
#3Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2012 1:46:36 PM
Bumpalump.
---
Game streams and recordings with commentary!: http://www.twitch.tv/disastersaurus
#4Pal 080Posted 10/9/2012 1:52:11 PM
Don't spend all your monthly income up front! I didn't realize how long it takes for a month to pass by and I spent so much money on research, and base sections, and satellites. I totally ran out of funds to actually equip my men with superior armor and weapons now that I've unlocked them!

And now I'm getting dominated in Classic mode haha.
---
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate"
#5Yian YanPosted 10/9/2012 1:52:41 PM
Disastersaurus posted...

1. Be very careful with dashing and don't put much trust in half cover. My personal dash rule is 'only dash to full cover, only ever use half-cover if I can hunker down or overwatch'.

Don't really have a tip of my own but I cannot stress this enough. When watching videos before the game came out (hadn't fiddled with the demo) I always thought Hunker Down was a dumb move. It will save your soldiers' lives.
---
DWO - Wei - from Yong Chang
#6ChronoReversePosted 10/9/2012 1:53:06 PM
Full cover is not full invulnerability. You need complete line of sight block in order to avoid getting shot at all.

With that said, Hunker Down doubles your cover, turning half-cover into full cover and full cover into 80% evade.
#7Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2012 1:58:41 PM
It may seem worth it to grab armor first, but honestly, I've gotten better results from scopes and weapons. Good tactical play and defense can protect your soldiers until they have Carapace (which you don't need to do a ton of research for), but Scopes and Laser Weapons are necessary if you want to be able to keep up with the growing HP of enemies. Get them ASAP.

This is very subjective, of course.
---
#8ChronoReversePosted 10/9/2012 2:02:31 PM(edited)
Disastersaurus posted...
It may seem worth it to grab armor first, but honestly, I've gotten better results from scopes and weapons. Good tactical play and defense can protect your soldiers until they have Carapace (which you don't need to do a ton of research for), but Scopes and Laser Weapons are necessary if you want to be able to keep up with the growing HP of enemies. Get them ASAP.

REAL armor is good. The "fake" armor that goes into the accessory slot (i.e., Nano-Fiber Vest) is pretty terrible.

But I do give to my assaults along with carapace for the slight edge in survivability.
#9Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2012 2:08:49 PM
ChronoReverse posted...
Disastersaurus posted...

REAL armor is good. The "fake" armor that goes into the accessory slot (i.e., Nano-Fiber Vest) is pretty terrible.

But I do give to my assaults along with carapace for the slight edge in survivability.

Yeah, s'what I mean. Don't rush to get nano-fiber, because scopes will be better both offensively and defensively.
---
#10QcSp0rtsPosted 10/9/2012 2:13:04 PM
1.Unless I am shooting , I save a time unit to Hunker Down or Overwatch 95 % of the time.

2.Get "Scopes" as fast as you can. That +10 Aim bonus helps alot early on.
---
PSN : QcSpOrts
English / French