XCOM Tips N' Tricks thread!

#11sifer2Posted 10/9/2012 3:44:35 PM
For capturing Aliens alive your best bet is to wait until just one is left. Then suppress him, and soften him up with a Pistol shot. Then make sure your Arc Thrower guy runs right next to him to get flanking so it wont miss.
#12Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2012 3:52:31 PM
Hey guys, let's also add questions here, for others to answer.

One from me: when is the best time to start capturing alive? I got three months in and couldn't find the time, to be honest.
---
Game streams and recordings with commentary!: http://www.twitch.tv/disastersaurus
#13PsychoclerkPosted 10/9/2012 4:14:04 PM
You should be going for captures as soon as you can. Don't put your squad in danger to capture a live alien, but if you get down to what you feel is the last guy, move everyone in and go for it. Interrogations often lead to new research and sometimes outright new tech that you can start making immediately.
#14sifer2Posted 10/9/2012 4:22:22 PM
Capturing live aliens also gives you alien weapons intact instead of fragments.
#15alphame4Posted 10/9/2012 4:28:32 PM
Im at work right now and only played briefly but hunker down is a life saver.

How do you find out in an area gives full cover?
---
i5 2500k @ 4.7 Ghz | Asus P8P67 Pro | 4Gb EVGA 670 SLI | 16GB Ripjaws 1600 Mhz | OCZ Vertex 3 120 Gb SSD
Steam: Spacerik | PSN: Spacemooncow
#16sifer2Posted 10/9/2012 4:32:57 PM
It's will be a fully colored shield icon instead of a half colored shield. If it's yellow that means an Alien would get flanking bonus against you there I think. Either kill it or move somewhere else if that happens.
#17ChronoReversePosted 10/9/2012 4:33:52 PM
If your shield is yellow, that means it's not working against at least one alien since cover only works in one direction.
#18Village IdiotPosted 10/9/2012 4:59:11 PM
Use rockets/grenades to get rid of alien in cover.

Don't be afraid to use explosives to kill aliens, especially early on.

Better a dead Sectoid and loss of weapon fragments, over a potential dead XCOM soldier.
---
Actually, since Wedge Antilles > Carriers, and Carriers = Instant win, then it should be Wedge Antilles > Instant win. He's just that good XD -PsionicDude
#19ob1_kenobi87Posted 10/9/2012 5:38:39 PM
For Large UFOs (when they guy says we will need to send our best equipped ships) you can take them down with 3 un-upgraded default ships if you dont have any good ships yet such as in fairly early in the game.

I lost two and the third one took it down, but I made up for the lost craft with everything I found in the UFO, not too good of a tip maybe but oh well lol.
#20xtacbPosted 10/9/2012 5:51:55 PM
any tips on what are the best abilities to grab for each class?

Assault, Heavy, Sniper, Support

when you level them up what are the best abilites to get?
---
Do you really wanna live in a world without Coca-Cola?