XCOM Tips N' Tricks thread!

#101Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2012 5:59:52 AM
DoktorTeufel posted...
Disastersaurus posted...
You haven't made any argument countering that.

I'm genuinely curious. Have you played this game past the first ten missions? If so, you surely know by now that during the most difficult missions (typically base assaults or particularly onerous UFOs), you have a choice: Keep your sniper back and/or behind cover, thereby denying him LOS to almost everything (Squad Sight or no Squad Sight); or bring him up a bit, but leave him potentially vulnerable to all manner of nasty surprises, grenades, and so on.

If you have a strategy for keeping a Squad Sight sniper out of danger in these situations and actually still able to hit anything, I'd like to hear it because I have yet to find one. Keeping my Squad Sight sniper even minimally back and out of danger still often denies him LOS to most everything.

Besides which, "safe" is a relative term in this game, as you'll see when you encounter a Sectopod for the first time. I really doubt you have yet. Not that Sectopods hugely difficult to deal with once you have Plasma and Titan/comparable armor, but they can shoot half a mile through walls and do AoE damage when you can't even see them.

I've NEVER had trouble getting my sniper a shot, even on big interior missions like large UFOs or alien bases. I just blow up each wall as I enter, depriving the enemies of cover, then back my squad out as my sniper starts picking off the chasers.
---
Game streams and recordings with commentary!: http://www.twitch.tv/disastersaurus
#102DoktorTeufelPosted 10/12/2012 6:03:43 AM(edited)
Disastersaurus posted...
As for 'can't have line of sight', until yesterday, the ability was bugged. It got fixed in the patch and works properly now.

Ah, that's good.

Disastersaurus posted...
As far as interior missions go, that's Squadsight's only weakness, and it's easily alleviated: Blow up the building. S'what I do.

That "only" weakness is an incredibly significant weakness. You surely can't have done too many base assaults or difficult UFOs if you disagree with me on that point, because I have done a lot of them, and my Squad Sight sniper pretty much turns into a Battle Scanner dispenser.

Yes, I know I'm being vaguely insulting with this "play more" insinuations, but you're claiming to profess an objective fact and the things you say do make me believe you need to play more.

On the other hand, maybe blowing up every wall doesn't eat up too many actions and is as effective as you say. Guess I'll try it, but frankly I don't think it will fit with my playstyle.
#103Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2012 6:02:26 AM
DoktorTeufel posted...
Disastersaurus posted...
As for 'can't have line of sight', until yesterday, the ability was bugged. It got fixed in the patch and works properly now.

Ah, that's good.

Disastersaurus posted...
As far as interior missions go, that's Squadsight's only weakness, and it's easily alleviated: Blow up the building. S'what I do.

That "only" weakness is an incredibly significant weakness. You surely can't have done too many base assaults or difficult UFOs if you disagree with me on that point, because I have done a lot of them, and my Squad Sight sniper pretty much turns into a Battle Scanner dispenser.

Yes, I know I'm being vaguely insulting with this "play more" insinuations, but you're claiming to profess an objective fact and the things you say do make me believe you need to play more.

It's not a significant weakness. Blow. Up. The. Goddamn. Walls. Suddenly, the entire base is just a huge, open playground for your sniper.

I don't know how I can make that any clearer.
---
Game streams and recordings with commentary!: http://www.twitch.tv/disastersaurus
#104Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2012 6:05:54 AM
DoktorTeufel posted...
Disastersaurus posted...

Ah, that's good.

Disastersaurus posted...

On the other hand, maybe blowing up every wall doesn't eat up too many actions and is as effective as you say. Guess I'll try it, but frankly I don't think it will fit with my playstyle.

That's fair enough. I suppose I should give some ground in terms of 'okay maybe it is playstyle', so I'm sorry if I seemed too stubborn on that. Personally, I found snapshot really worthless, but hey, you've found the same for Squadsight.

So maybe it is as simple as "we make them work really well with our playstyles".

Sorry for coming off like an ass.
---
#105DoktorTeufelPosted 10/12/2012 6:09:22 AM
Disastersaurus posted...
It's not a significant weakness. Blow. Up. The. Goddamn. Walls. Suddenly, the entire base is just a huge, open playground for your sniper.

Blowing up all the walls also potentially destroys power cores, nutrient vats, experimentation tables, navigation consoles, and other materiel that can be sold for a lot of credits or used for important projects.

Therefore, having to blow up all the walls just to use your sniper is still a weakness if you prefer the surgical approach, rather than the explode everything and safely snipe stuff from half a mile away approach.

Not to mention, it's going to be more difficult to stun aliens if there's no cover anywhere and you're relying on your sniper(s) to just kill things.

TL;DR -- The surgical approach is viable and arguably more profitable in many cases than the explode everything approach.
#106IntegnosPosted 10/12/2012 6:12:04 AM
I don't carry grenades or bring in Heavies. My sniper with squad sight never had a problem in UFO bases. I don't think its an issue with playstyle. I think its an issue of not positioning the sniper correctly.
#107Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2012 6:12:32 AM
DoktorTeufel posted...
Disastersaurus posted...

Blowing up all the walls also potentially destroys power cores, nutrient vats, experimentation tables, navigation consoles, and other materiel that can be sold for a lot of credits or used for important projects.

Therefore, having to blow up all the walls just to use your sniper is still a weakness if you prefer the surgical approach, rather than the explode everything and safely snipe stuff from half a mile away approach.

Not to mention, it's going to be more difficult to stun aliens if there's no cover anywhere and you're relying on your sniper(s) to just kill things.

TL;DR -- The surgical approach is viable and arguably more profitable in many cases than the explode everything approach.

That's fair. I don't use the surgical approach, but I can see how it'd be viable.

I tend to have more than enough power cores and the sort even with my approach, since I'm really careful about what I blow up. [Walls only.]
---
#108Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2012 6:14:10 AM
Integnos posted...
I don't carry grenades or bring in Heavies. My sniper with squad sight never had a problem in UFO bases. I don't think its an issue with playstyle. I think its an issue of not positioning the sniper correctly.

Yeah, I haven't either, even when I'm light on explosives. I don't know why they're having so much trouble with it, but -shrug-
---
#109BlindRapturePosted 10/12/2012 8:05:51 AM
Oops! I started a huge debate.

What I mostly meant that for a lot of people who may not be that familiar with the game seem to get excited about the idea of being able to move and shoot with a sniper and that squad sight can be easily written off if you haven't used it or realized it's potential.

But yeah, squad sight is still way better than snap shot. Although if you build around it (preferably a pistoleer) it's still pretty good.
#110hubertjefersonPosted 10/12/2012 10:03:00 AM
OK, here's some basic tips I've found after one playthrough on Normal Ironman, what worked for me :

1- Satellites, Satellites, Satellites.
They're really the heart of the whole game, and the game instructions unfortunately don't insist enough on that. I had to start over my first two games because I didnt focus enough on satellites and ran out of money/upgrades later on. Most of your money will come from the monthly country financing, so you NEED to get many satellites up and running early, even if it means delaying the story elements.

2- Skip Lasers.
Lasers are good, sure, but just like in the original game, it's worth skipping all the precious early research time direct to Plasma, even if that means having to do 3-4 more missions using regular weapons. This will also save you a lot of money.

3- Capture aliens whenever possible, at least when it's safe.
Always carry Arc Throwers on Assaults early on, because any Alien you capture means you also capture his weapon. You'll get free Plasma Rifles as soon as they're researched, which are pretty expensive early on. Also, capturing more advanced aliens such as muttons will unlock various upgrades or research credits.

4- Two medics later makes everything too easy.
If you have all the medikit and medic upgrades, they will each heal for 10 points per hit, which means you can heal for a total of 60 hp during a mission. Along with the ''officers won't die'' upgrade, this will overcome most mistakes you can make, giving you a pretty big margin of error.

Of course, there's other basic tips such as ''always be covered'', reload whenever it's safe, but those are already well known.
More topics from this board...
Oh dear god X-com.red255134/12 3:17AM