XCOM Tips N' Tricks thread!

#31AfoxiPosted 10/9/2012 7:43:19 PM
Not an actual gameplay tip, but color coding your soldiers can be handy.

I have mine setup so that:
White = Rookies
Red = Assault
Blue = Heavy
Yellow = Support
Green = Sniper
Black = Favourite/Elite (aka. this guy dies first)
---
Dies ist der Kommandant der Uberschwer Pzkpfw. VIII Maus und wir sind bereit, mit gutem Beispiel vorangehen.
#32KlivianPosted 10/9/2012 7:50:47 PM
Holo targeting is a trap for heavies. The other option, forget the name offhand since I just turned the game off, the one that says shooting first doesn't end your turn means that if you don't move, you can shoot twice, or shoot and reload.

Far superior
#33CowelPosted 10/9/2012 8:04:06 PM
A good sniper will save your ass over and over. Two good snipers will kill almost everything before enemies get close enough to do damage. But make sure they've got clear line of sight to the enemy. Even if they can attack any alien a squadmate sees, if the shot is obstructed they won't be able to.

The sniper upgrade that throws a scanner grenade (forget the name) is perfect for a second sniper in your squad. If someone in your squad hears something, throw the scanner in its general direction and see if it picks anything up. Then use your first sniper to get a good shot off at whatever the scanner picks up. Even better, its got much better range than a frag grenade.

The Arc Thrower's chance to stun is based only on how much health the mob has. The base version has 70% chance with 3 health left, 80% with 2, and 90% with one. Cover doesn't matter, though line of sight might. So outfit a unit with one, use pistols to get the target's health down, and make sure you're inside the circle when you fire. And remember, FREE WEAPONS.
#34RavenMccoy21Posted 10/9/2012 8:05:27 PM
When looking at potential cover, what does the red shield mean?

Also, what do engineers and scientists do exactly?
---
Some people may suggest that simply adding zombies to a game does not necessarily make it good. These people are idiots.
#35Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2012 8:06:29 PM
RavenMccoy21 posted...

I -believe- [feel free to correct me anyone] that a red shield means if you go there, you'll be flanked by something.
---
Game streams and recordings with commentary!: http://www.twitch.tv/disastersaurus
#36Isaac_RedfieldPosted 10/9/2012 8:35:25 PM(edited)
Klivian posted...
Holo targeting is a trap for heavies. The other option, forget the name offhand since I just turned the game off, the one that says shooting first doesn't end your turn means that if you don't move, you can shoot twice, or shoot and reload.

Far superior

Shooting twice IF you actually are in a position to do so, or moving to a target, firing and adding +10 accuracy to everyone else, even if your shot doesn't actually hit. Both are situational, and claiming Bullet Swarm is "far superior" is quite an exaggeration.

Also, the tip about recruited soliders having more health is 100% false. They are exactly the same as any other standard rookie.

RavenMccoy21 posted...

It seems like they are simply the manpower to research or build something. If you don't have a specific amount of either, certain things will be locked out until you get more. I'm also not sure if having more scientists decreases research time, since that's what labs do. Engineers also lower production costs.
#37Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2012 8:35:11 PM
Isaac_Redfield posted...
Klivian posted...

Far superior

Shooting twice IF you actually are in a position to do so, or moving to a target, firing and adding +10 accuracy to everyone else, even if your shot doesn't actually hit. Both are situational, and claiming Bullet Swarm is "far superior" is quite an exaggeration.

Also, the tip about recruited soliders having more health is 100% false. They are exactly the same as any other standard rookie.

RavenMccoy21 posted...

It seems like they are simply the manpower to research or build something. If you don't have a specific amount of either, certain things will be locked out until you get more. I'm also not sure if having more scientists decreases research time, since that's what labs do.

wat

First off, bullet swarm lets you do more than just shoot twice. It also lets you shoot, then go into overwatch, which is amazing. Plus, the +10 aim from holotargeting pales in comparison to the fact that two shots from a heavy will -destroy- most cover, granting way more accuracy than +10 to everyone else.

Secondly, he meant cover as in when in missions, looking at cover for soldiers. Not base stuff.
---
Game streams and recordings with commentary!: http://www.twitch.tv/disastersaurus
#38Isaac_RedfieldPosted 10/9/2012 8:40:40 PM(edited)
Disastersaurus posted...
Isaac_Redfield posted...
Klivian posted...

Far superior

RavenMccoy21 posted...

It seems like they are simply the manpower to research or build something. If you don't have a specific amount of either, certain things will be locked out until you get more. I'm also not sure if having more scientists decreases research time, since that's what labs do.

wat

First off, bullet swarm lets you do more than just shoot twice. It also lets you shoot, then go into overwatch, which is amazing. Plus, the +10 aim from holotargeting pales in comparison to the fact that two shots from a heavy will -destroy- most cover, granting way more accuracy than +10 to everyone else.

Secondly, he meant cover as in when in missions, looking at cover for soldiers. Not base stuff.

Holo also applies to supressive fire...which is EXTREMELY helpful. Also, try not replying without reading what you quoted first. Read the very first sentence again. Supressive fire/Holo work even if you miss the target. I'm also not sure how you're destroying obstacles with regular fire either since the game doesn't let you blast through it without a target, unlike what the aliens are doing.

And what are you talking about in regards to soliders? The person I am talking about said that new recruits that you hire have more health than those you start out with. No they don't.
#39Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2012 8:40:07 PM
Isaac_Redfield posted...
Disastersaurus posted...
Isaac_Redfield posted...
Klivian posted...

Far superior

RavenMccoy21 posted...

wat

Holo also applies to supressive fire...which is EXTREMELY helpful. Also, try not replying without reading what you quoted first. Read the very first sentence again. Supressive fire/Holo work even if you can't hit the target. I'm also not sure how you're destroying obstacles with regular fire either since the game doesn't let you blast through it without a target, unlike what the aliens are doing.

And what are you talking about in regards to soliders? The person I am talking about said that new recruits that you hire have more health than those you start out with. No they don't.

It does if you're a heavy. A heavy's gatling gun can rip light cover such as trees apart, once you get laser weapons.
---
#40Isaac_RedfieldPosted 10/9/2012 8:52:15 PM(edited)
Laser weapons are a waste of resources, and you should be going straight from ballistic to plasma. The difference between laser and ballistic is inconsequential.

Holo targeting is a scope that affects ALL of your units after you use it on a specific target. This allows them to carry something other than a scope, or have a +20 to hit. Being able to shoot twice doesn't matter at all if you're not already in a position from the start of your turn to do so.