XCOM Tips N' Tricks thread!

#41Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2012 7:46:06 PM
Isaac_Redfield posted...
Laser weapons are a waste of resources, and you should be going straight from ballistic to plasma. The difference between laser and ballistic is inconsequential.

Please stop, you're giving consistently terrible advice. Unless you're playing on normal, Laser Weapons are absolutely necessary.

4 to 6 damage is not inconsequential, especially on Classic Ironman when you constantly lose veterans and need a way for your rookies to keep up.
---
Game streams and recordings with commentary!: http://www.twitch.tv/disastersaurus
#42Isaac_RedfieldPosted 10/9/2012 7:52:34 PM(edited)
Yeah actually they are garbage, when plasma is unlocked so close behind laser and are a much larger upgrade. Unless you enjoy wasting resources.

Assaults do 4 damage, laser 6 and plasma 8.
#43Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2012 7:57:51 PM(edited)
Isaac_Redfield posted...
Yeah actually they are garbage, when plasma is unlocked so close behind laser and are a much larger upgrade. Unless you enjoy wasting resources.

Assaults do 4 damage, laser 6 and plasma 8.

You won't SURVIVE long enough on Classic/Impossible Ironman to get to Plasma without taking laser first.

If you don't have laser weapons for the first terror mission, you're screwed.
---
Game streams and recordings with commentary!: http://www.twitch.tv/disastersaurus
#44Village IdiotPosted 10/9/2012 8:45:42 PM
You fight Chrysalids in the first Terror Mission.

On Classic, they each can eat like 3x Soldier's worth of fire using default weapons before going down.
---
Actually, since Wedge Antilles > Carriers, and Carriers = Instant win, then it should be Wedge Antilles > Instant win. He's just that good XD -PsionicDude
#45Another_CyzykPosted 10/9/2012 8:49:01 PM
I never sprang for laser rifles/pistols myself; the upgrades for the shotgun/sniper were worthwhile, since they're what I used to crack tough enemies anyway. Also, wound up looting several plasma rifles rather quickly, so rushed the tech so I could use them.
#46EnragedSlithPosted 10/9/2012 8:55:23 PM
Village Idiot posted...

On Classic, they each can eat like 3x Soldier's worth of fire using default weapons before going down.

Am I the only player who thought the terror missions were cake walks? I just marched my soldiers around in a group with their default weapons and killed everything that moved. This was also on Classic and Ironman.
#47Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2012 8:59:58 PM
EnragedSlith posted...
Village Idiot posted...

Am I the only player who thought the terror missions were cake walks? I just marched my soldiers around in a group with their default weapons and killed everything that moved. This was also on Classic and Ironman.

Did you save a lot of civilians?

Terror missions can go either way, honestly. I've made it to them on two classic ironman playthroughs.

On my first one, it was a cakewalk, because I only ever saw one chryssalid at a time. The second one was a Disaster. Got ambushed by a Chryssalid who killed my heavy in Carapace armor, turning him into a 16HP zombie, then another Chryssalid rushed us from the front.

Two chryssalids and a zombie vs. 3 squadmates at mid range.

Did not go well.
---
#48ZorlondPosted 10/9/2012 9:01:58 PM
If you see a Sectoid shoot purple waves out at another Sectoid, he's doing three things: 1) Healing the target Sectoid for 1hp, and expanding his maximum by 1hp, 2) Showing you exaxtly where both of them are standing, and 3) Making both of them vulnerable.

If the Sectoid who initiated the healing dies, the psionic backlash kills the one who was being healed, even at max HPs. Soldiers get credit for both kills. But it has to happen on your turn right after the heal happens, it doesn't last more than one turn. So keep an eye out for these two-fer-one opportunities.
#49EnragedSlithPosted 10/9/2012 9:12:30 PM
Disastersaurus posted...
EnragedSlith posted...
Village Idiot posted...

Terror missions can go either way, honestly. I've made it to them on two classic ironman playthroughs.

On my first one, it was a cakewalk, because I only ever saw one chryssalid at a time. The second one was a Disaster. Got ambushed by a Chryssalid who killed my heavy in Carapace armor, turning him into a 16HP zombie, then another Chryssalid rushed us from the front.

Did not go well.

I play extremely conservatively, so I generally don't get ambushed. You just have to remember that your team's safety is far more important than the lives of a few civilians. It's not about rescuing them all, it's about rescuing who you can without jeopardizing your team's lives.
#50Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2012 9:26:01 PM
EnragedSlith posted...
Disastersaurus posted...
EnragedSlith posted...
Village Idiot posted...

Did not go well.

I play extremely conservatively, so I generally don't get ambushed. You just have to remember that your team's safety is far more important than the lives of a few civilians. It's not about rescuing them all, it's about rescuing who you can without jeopardizing your team's lives.

Yeah, but that's a lesson you gotta learn the hard way, which I did.
---