XCOM Tips N' Tricks thread!

#61walrusbombPosted 10/10/2012 5:41:37 AM
focus-kill to power-level an ASSAULT to +3 movement ASAP. While the missions are still easy.

1. helps scouting
2. helps flanking
3. helps pulling (not everything can be pulled)
4. helps live captures!
#62Isaac_RedfieldPosted 10/10/2012 4:32:42 PM(edited)
I started over after not realizing exactly how focusing on satellites not only increases your economy faster (at the expense of upgrades taking a while longer to reach early on), as well as drastically reducing the chances of anyone leaving the council, and have come to two conclusions:

1. I still think Holo targeting is useful, but after you put a scope on your Heavy, the benefit of Bullet Swarm surpasses it quite a bit; especially because of how the light plasma rifles already have an +10 accuracy bonus with them for the rest of your team.

2. I still think that laser weapons as a whole are a complete waste of materials and funds. Why? Because you can actually get three to four light plasma rifles in the same amount of time it took you to reach lasers depending on how quickly you catch an Outsider (I think that's what triggers it anyway). It also depends on whether or not you have a lab or not, but even if you don't, you can have three to four plasma rifles by the middle of May even without them. The only laser weapons that are worthwhile are the Heavy and the Sniper, but the rest can be completely skipped. The light plasma rifle is much better than either the laser rifle or the laser shotgun (especially if you have an Assault unit that has the 2x attack with the aim penalty). Also, every unit you capture after you actually research plasma allows you to keep them.

I think power leveling an Assault as stated above can be useful, but you can also simply weaken enemies and then use supressive fire to keep it pinned and at a disadvantage in aim if it tries to attack. This allows your Assault to move in for the shock while the rest of your units attempt to whitle it down to one health. I also don't rely on Assaults to scout anymore until after the two scanners are used up by the Sniper.
#63EnragedSlithPosted 10/10/2012 4:30:59 PM
Zorlond posted...
How do you get around a building with big windows all facing you? Simple. Most AIs cannot comprehend map edges, and XCOM's AI is no different. If your soldiers are right on the edge of the map, it's pretty likely that they can get around whatever building or feature before an enemy notices them.

I did this and ran into a Cyberdisk and three mutons.

Also, concerning the laser discussion, lasers are far too useful to ignore. They're cheap, powerful, and you can occasionally sell them for massive amounts of income.
#64RealTidesPosted 10/10/2012 4:36:33 PM
newschoolfan posted...
If adding satellites lowers the panic lvl will them getting shot down then you adding another in its place lower the panic lvl again? Or will this just null the panic increase gotten from a satellite crash?

null the panic
it goes up from crash, down from sending 1 more so dont waste your money
#65MegawizardPosted 10/10/2012 4:41:31 PM
ob1_kenobi87 posted...
For Large UFOs (when they guy says we will need to send our best equipped ships) you can take them down with 3 un-upgraded default ships if you dont have any good ships yet such as in fairly early in the game.

I lost two and the third one took it down, but I made up for the lost craft with everything I found in the UFO, not too good of a tip maybe but oh well lol.

I must've gotten lucky. :x I sent a single, basic fighter and it took it down. Was like 1 hit from blowing up though; heh heh.
---
^( ' ' )^
#66Reaper_Chris92Posted 10/10/2012 4:42:50 PM
Idk if this was mentioned, but if you go to the Situation Room you can sell items. You can sell everything and some things are useless and have no research or engineer value.... so sell them.
#67EnragedSlithPosted 10/10/2012 5:27:04 PM
Reaper_Chris92 posted...
Idk if this was mentioned, but if you go to the Situation Room you can sell items. You can sell everything and some things are useless and have no research or engineer value.... so sell them.

What's useless?
#68Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2012 5:31:01 PM
Isaac_Redfield posted...
I started over after not realizing exactly how focusing on satellites not only increases your economy faster (at the expense of upgrades taking a while longer to reach early on), as well as drastically reducing the chances of anyone leaving the council, and have come to two conclusions:

1. I still think Holo targeting is useful, but after you put a scope on your Heavy, the benefit of Bullet Swarm surpasses it quite a bit; especially because of how the light plasma rifles already have an +10 accuracy bonus with them for the rest of your team.

2. I still think that laser weapons as a whole are a complete waste of materials and funds. Why? Because you can actually get three to four light plasma rifles in the same amount of time it took you to reach lasers depending on how quickly you catch an Outsider (I think that's what triggers it anyway). It also depends on whether or not you have a lab or not, but even if you don't, you can have three to four plasma rifles by the middle of May even without them. The only laser weapons that are worthwhile are the Heavy and the Sniper, but the rest can be completely skipped. The light plasma rifle is much better than either the laser rifle or the laser shotgun (especially if you have an Assault unit that has the 2x attack with the aim penalty). Also, every unit you capture after you actually research plasma allows you to keep them.

I think power leveling an Assault as stated above can be useful, but you can also simply weaken enemies and then use supressive fire to keep it pinned and at a disadvantage in aim if it tries to attack. This allows your Assault to move in for the shock while the rest of your units attempt to whitle it down to one health. I also don't rely on Assaults to scout anymore until after the two scanners are used up by the Sniper.

I kind of agree about laser rifles being unnecessary, since you can get plasma ones so frequently. But the snipers/heavies are very worth it.

Right now, I prioritize Carapace armor since it's a ton of health and everyone can get it. Makes capturing aliens live easier, too.
---
Game streams and recordings with commentary!: http://www.twitch.tv/disastersaurus
#69Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2012 5:33:55 PM
EnragedSlith posted...
Reaper_Chris92 posted...

What's useless?

All damaged items are purely for selling.
---
Game streams and recordings with commentary!: http://www.twitch.tv/disastersaurus
#70MrNivek5150Posted 10/10/2012 6:50:08 PM
I was afraid to sell things for so long, but after about 4 months I was just a few bucks short of buying a new set of Titan armor. So I went to sell off a few credits and realized some of the items have it specifically marked in the description that they have no more value and can be sold. I went through all my stuff and sold the useless stuff, and got another $1200 bucks to invest.
---
"Quick, someone call the internet and have their best guys get on this." - Romps
More topics from this board...
Psi questionLiger8188212/21 2:02PM