XCOM Tips N' Tricks thread!

#81TrancendRealityPosted 10/11/2012 12:03:41 AM
i also skipped laser on classic mode
in one of my classic ironman modes i beat the first terror mission with no squad deaths and maybe two lost civilians. lucked out with the chrysalids dropping in far away from my guys but still visible. they ate up their actions just getting to me and so couldn't attack. i stopped playing that save because i couldn't take down a ufo (no interceptors in range) then 4 countries all backed out of the council so my funding went way down.

I beat chrysalids with ballistics no squad deaths. it took some reloading because it was hard to gauge their movement range. snipers with headshot with the default snipe can do as much as 10 damage. To kill a chrysalid it takes two support attacks and a shotgun blast or a heavy. basically stay far away from them.

to get plasma weapons
get arc thrower then alien containment asap and start stunning aliens to collect plasma weapons. i would then get a laboratory to speed up the research to be able to equip them.

it helps to have steam vents near the surface and since the number and location of the steam vents are completely random, restart the game a few times (turn off tutorial) and after beating the first mission check the base to see if the vents are in favorable positions (more than one vent and at least one on the 2nd from top layer)

you will quickly have to fight ufos that your default interceptors can't take down. research better craft and weapons for your crafts early on. if you don't and you don't take down the ufo, countries are more likely to leave and then it will be even more difficult to win.

skills i have found to be useful:
run and gun
skill that lets sniper move then shoot
support move +3

i pick Africa as my starting continent, it makes it easier to build and buy things early on

you can sell damaged ufo parts immediately and you can sell most of you corpses (just keep a few of each type for research)
---
PSN ID: TranscendReality
#82trandrewoPosted 10/11/2012 9:25:03 AM
The tip about selling damaged goods was great. Does anyone have any other tips for earning income?
#83BaebunniPosted 10/11/2012 9:43:17 AM
Don't be afraid to experiment a bit in builds, numerous different builds can prove useful in tight situations.

Don't go crazy on armor. You can only take up to 6 people into combat. Injured characters don't wear armor so don't spend resources on to many pieces of armor.

Relax! You get to tense you will make more mistakes stay calm even if you lose one of your vets. If you don't you could lose more then 1!
#84BlindRapturePosted 10/11/2012 10:31:32 AM
I've seen this rookie mistake a lot. Always take squad sight on your snipers instead of the move snd shoot one, unless you are doing a scout sniper. Squad Sight is rediculously good, especially if you can get up high.
#85kjs7Posted 10/12/2012 1:56:09 AM
I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said, but I'm bumping this because its provided me with a lot of useful info.
---
;)
Steam: goo.gl/2r6pC PSN: kschroen Xbox Live/Origin: Bobaliciousj
#86MoonlightJustPosted 10/12/2012 1:59:02 AM
BlindRapture posted...
I've seen this rookie mistake a lot. Always take squad sight on your snipers instead of the move snd shoot one, unless you are doing a scout sniper. Squad Sight is rediculously good, especially if you can get up high.

I wouldn't really consider that a rookie mistake, just a play style preference. Snap shot lets your sniper move and attack on the same turn, which is extremely useful when combined with Archangel armor or a grappling hook and the In the Zone ability.
#87Isaac_RedfieldPosted 10/12/2012 3:07:17 AM(edited)
chronotrig100 posted...
Disastersaurus posted...
Isaac_Redfield posted...
Yeah actually they are garbage, when plasma is unlocked so close behind laser and are a much larger upgrade. Unless you enjoy wasting resources.

Assaults do 4 damage, laser 6 and plasma 8.

You won't SURVIVE long enough on Classic/Impossible Ironman to get to Plasma without taking laser first.

If you don't have laser weapons for the first terror mission, you're screwed.

^This 100%. Good luck dealing with the 10 hp crysallids on your terror mission with ballistics. I got trapped by that on my first classic ironman. I'm guessing isaac is playing on normal because the enemies have such lower health in general, that ballistics is actually kind of enough to get by until plasma (from what I've experienced).

Cool, except like I said, by the time you can actually use lasers you can also just about reach plasma (at least the light rifles, which are great and also have a built in scope). On classic, you can still capture an Outsider very early and that's what unlocks the research for the rifles. After you research, you automatically have three rifles and from then on you just capture more for free.

Laser pistols are "ok" since they are a backup weapon, and only the Heavy and Sniper laser are what you could call somewhat needed. It's a total waste of resources to make laser rifles/shotguns for your Assaults and Supports. You don't even really "need" the Heavy or Sniper either, but they do make it slightly easier since the wait for their plasma variants is a pretty long time.
#88Evil KirbyPosted 10/12/2012 3:09:20 AM
ob1_kenobi87 posted...
For Large UFOs (when they guy says we will need to send our best equipped ships) you can take them down with 3 un-upgraded default ships if you dont have any good ships yet such as in fairly early in the game.

I lost two and the third one took it down, but I made up for the lost craft with everything I found in the UFO, not too good of a tip maybe but oh well lol.

You can just abort when the interceptor is down to 1 health left, then send in the next one.
#89TheLostOnePosted 10/12/2012 4:05:52 AM
Darktyl posted...
Isaac_Redfield posted...
Klivian posted...
Holo targeting is a trap for heavies. The other option, forget the name offhand since I just turned the game off, the one that says shooting first doesn't end your turn means that if you don't move, you can shoot twice, or shoot and reload.

Far superior

Also, the tip about recruited soliders having more health is 100% false. They are exactly the same as any other standard rookie.

This! I just restart and hire a new soldier (I did the tutorial the first play through). His stat is exacltly the same as the one you have.

It's not false, it's just a bug on impossible difficulty. Your troops start with 4 hp and on impossible when you recruit more they're at 6 hp I believe.
---
If you lose your job, your marriage and your mind all in one week, try to lose your mind first, because then the other stuff won't matter that much.
#90Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2012 4:07:12 AM
MoonlightJust posted...
BlindRapture posted...

I wouldn't really consider that a rookie mistake, just a play style preference. Snap shot lets your sniper move and attack on the same turn, which is extremely useful when combined with Archangel armor or a grappling hook and the In the Zone ability.

I don't really agree. The aim penalty sucks, and if you grab gunslinger and a plasma pistol, your Squadshot sniper can still move and put out a lot of damage in the same turn.
---
Game streams and recordings with commentary!: http://www.twitch.tv/disastersaurus
More topics from this board...
Psi questionLiger8188212/21 2:02PM