Sniper skill, Executioner or opportunist?

#1D4rkne55Posted 10/10/2012 5:51:48 PM
i've searched a bit but haven't been able to figure out which one might be more useful. i'm using a long range sniper with squad sight so there's very few turns i have where i leave my sniper on overwatch. but then again so far i haven't fought many creatures which survive more than one hit. anyone who's farther in the game then i am have any suggestions? i've only fought sectoids, floaters, thin men and chrysalids(they were a bit tough but oh well)
---
reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistant one
--Albert Einstein-- D2/USE/L/ingeraskurai
#2EnragedSlithPosted 10/10/2012 5:56:39 PM
Executioner adds 10 aim if the enemy is below 50%, right? Opportunist is by far the better choice.
#3RealTidesPosted 10/10/2012 5:57:06 PM
yea lol stop using snipers =p

i find they miss too much or maybe its cus im playing on classic
but you will soon meet alot of maps where squadsight is not gonna help cus you'll be blocked...and if u really want to have a sniper in your team, you need snapshot more then squadsight

anyway opportunist is only good if you use overwatch alot
#4RealTidesPosted 10/10/2012 5:58:17 PM
EnragedSlith posted...
Executioner adds 10 aim if the enemy is below 50%, right? Opportunist is by far the better choice.

he just said he doesnt use overwatch so how is an overwatch skill the better choice for him?
#5EnragedSlithPosted 10/10/2012 6:00:12 PM
RealTides posted...
EnragedSlith posted...

he just said he doesnt use overwatch so how is an overwatch skill the better choice for him?

Because overwatch is essential to not dying unless you actually like feeding operatives to Mutons and Cyberdisks.
#6RealTidesPosted 10/10/2012 6:14:40 PM(edited)
EnragedSlith posted...
RealTides posted...
EnragedSlith posted...

Because overwatch is essential to not dying unless you actually like feeding operatives to Mutons and Cyberdisks.

or you could not use a sniper and kill mutons/cyberdisks in a turn
anyway TS already said that he doesnt use overwatch sooooooooooooooo yea
#7D4rkne55(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2012 6:23:31 PM(edited)
@realtides
that's strange, i just finished a map and i think my sniper got half the kills. he slaughters everything from out of the enemy's range thanks to squad sight.

i previously restarted the game a few missions in and that time i got snapshot with my snipe. i'm much happier now with squadsight, much more useful i've found.

and i might be willing to put him on overwatch if i had that skill, the only reason i don't is because so far i've either had to move into a better position or more likely i'm shooting at an enemy which doesn't leave any time for overwatch. but that's why i started this topic, i'm wondering if later in the game tactics will change my playstyle.

better question might be to ask how often are you finding yourself shooting at an enemy with less then 50% health compared to leaving your sniper on overwatch in late game?

(just read your newest post...do snipers really become that obsolete later on? like i said my sniper's consistantly getting the most kills every map currently for me)
---
reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistant one
--Albert Einstein-- D2/USE/L/ingeraskurai
#8Sleeping DragonPosted 10/10/2012 6:52:27 PM(edited)
D4rkne55 posted...
(just read your newest post...do snipers really become that obsolete later on? like i said my sniper's consistantly getting the most kills every map currently for me)

It's not that snipers become obsolete as much as how much better skills the assault class gets at the higher ranks. A properly equipped and well played assault class team can sweep through enemies pretty easy (not accounting for RNG failures, of course).

This is not to say the other classes don't have their strengths (I personally like a mixed team), just that if you like a very aggressive play style, than assault gets the job done, bar none.

You can still play the game with your own style and do just fine throughout the whole game, np. It is just that some players want to bulldoze over the aliens throughout the whole game and assault classes do that very well.
#9MrNivek5150Posted 10/10/2012 7:18:53 PM
In later levels, you'll be facing much tougher enemies and in greater numbers. In those instances, you'll want the enemy to be coming to you, so overwatch on a sniper is absolutely a good idea. In my game, my top kill count goes to my sniper BY FAR, and he uses squad sight and opportunist. He's a colonel with 107 aim +10 from a SCOPE.
---
"Quick, someone call the internet and have their best guys get on this." - Romps
#10cruxus1Posted 10/10/2012 7:48:07 PM
After finishing the game, my sniper was the top in kills easily. Double shot plasma sniper rifle can take out any enemy in one round. A critical from a plasma does upwards of 17 to 19 damage. My advice is to advance a sniper that has psionic powers, not only do they gain all the amazing dps skills and long distance shots, but they become a lot more useful moving around and brain zapping while they move. Enemies towards the end hit so hard that killing them quickly is recommended.