it is possible to NOT lose any countries on classic ironman!

#1RealTidesPosted 10/11/2012 3:26:02 AM
stop spreading lies.
as long as you do the ones with higher panic first you WILL NOT lose any countries
sure that might gimp you abit but abduction come so often that you wont miss anything

and you need to get workshops + uplinks asap as well so you can -protect- the other countries.
#2EnragedSlithPosted 10/11/2012 3:37:20 AM
Just because it's possible doesn't mean it's likely or a good idea to attempt. If you focus completely on panic levels and don't concern yourself with mission difficulty or rewards, you could easily end up in a very bad position.
#3RealTides(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2012 3:42:49 AM
EnragedSlith posted...
Just because it's possible doesn't mean it's likely or a good idea to attempt. If you focus completely on panic levels and don't concern yourself with mission difficulty or rewards, you could easily end up in a very bad position.

not true, u can take your time with story missions and abductions occur so frequent
#4leefernonPosted 10/11/2012 10:12:17 AM
I am doing normal right now and I am not in a bad position at all by keeping every country alive. All of the money I am raking in is just allowing me to put up more satellites, and I will soon be able to have one in every country. What kind of bad position are you talking about? I am rolling on research too.
#5ChronoReversePosted 10/11/2012 10:16:19 AM
Every time you do an abduction, you reduce panic in one country but increase it on two other continents. You'll eventually get worn down by attrition.
#6CyberJPosted 10/11/2012 10:21:28 AM
Its true that you can hit a streak of really bad luck and have to choose between two missions that are in countries that are already panicked. However, so far I've found that with good resource management and a little bit of luck you can keep everyone in the council until full satellite coverage is possible. It also helps if your initial satellite uplink is in a square that allows you to take advantage of the adjacency bonus.

In addition, do NOT neglect the council missions. For some reason, I've seen posters that say they avoid them at times. This is counter productive to managing panic. Even if you have to go into the mission with your main squad in the hospital do it. Besides, that's why you are supposed to bring rookies along on every mission. Relying on one group of soldiers is a major headache waiting to happen.
#7RealTides(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2012 10:21:57 AM
ChronoReverse posted...
Every time you do an abduction, you reduce panic in one country but increase it on two other continents. You'll eventually get worn down by attrition.

it doesn't work that way
only the other 2 countries that u didn't pick goes up
and the game will not put 2 high panic level countries together so you CAN keep all your countries
#8Yian YanPosted 10/11/2012 10:23:47 AM(edited)
ChronoReverse posted...

This is not always true when multiple abductions happen on the same continent. It is possible to get all 3 on one continent and have a net gain. It is possible but not terribly likely. Ultimately, if the game wants, it can just screw you over.

RealTides posted...
ChronoReverse posted...

it doesn't work that way
only the other 2 countries that u didn't pick goes up
and the game will not put 2 high panic level countries together so you CAN keep all your countries

Abductions not completed can raise panic in entire continents, unless my memory is playing tricks on me again.
---
DWO - Wei - from Yong Chang
#9ChronoReversePosted 10/11/2012 10:28:31 AM
Yian Yan posted...
ChronoReverse posted...

This is not always true when multiple abductions happen on the same continent. It is possible to get all 3 on one continent and have a net gain. It is possible but not terribly likely. Ultimately, if the game wants, it can just screw you over.

I must have been extremely unlucky then.

Every Single abduction mission I got on my first Class Ironman run had terror sites on a different continent.

Winning them decreases the panic in that country but the panic level of the entire other continents went up.
#10VylanAntagonistPosted 10/11/2012 10:44:00 AM
ChronoReverse posted...

I must have been extremely unlucky then.

Every Single abduction mission I got on my first Class Ironman run had terror sites on a different continent.

Winning them decreases the panic in that country but the panic level of the entire other continents went up.

I'm having the same experience. I'm only into my second month on my Classic run, I've shot down every UFO we've detected and succeeded on every mission, always taking the mission with the highest panic value, regardless of difficulty, and still several nations in Europe are ready to defect by month's end, as well as another country in South America. Most recently, I took a mission in Canada only to see Germany, Russia, and the UK shoot from 3 bars to full, simply because I passed up their mission for North America. Unfortunately, I built a workshop and alien containment instead of another Satellite Uplink, so there's no way I'll be able to get a satellite over any of those countries in time.

On Classic, you must have to rush to 10 Engineers, then hustle Uplinks and the power to run them so you can get Satellites out to keep countries from inevitably defecting. The tutorial is probably worth it for the free Satellite and panic reset it provides. Maybe once you rush those satellites, managing the soaring panic incurred by the abductions you can't take becomes possible, but I know that if you don't rush those satellites, even with 'perfect play', panic will spread faster than you can subdue it on Classic.

Realtides, what's your Steam profile, so I can see the victorious achievement for Ironman Classic?