Tutorial or no?

#1BogePosted 10/11/2012 2:06:33 PM
I played the demo of this game and I just got the release today.

I know how to play the combat stuff, but I'm not really clear on the base stuff.

Should I start the game with the Tutorial enabled, or is that just the small combat tutorial from the beta?
---
Punctuation goes a long way for comprehension.
#2zUkUuPosted 10/11/2012 2:13:28 PM
I think it's just the demo, but I didn't played it myself, just from hearsay. the tutorial changes the way the game starts dramatically tho.
#3gadragodPosted 10/11/2012 2:15:52 PM
Do the tutorial, once you've finished a mission or two, start again sans tutorial. I'm not 100% sure what happened, but compared to the morons I had the first time, I have the motherf* dream-team in terms of kicking alien ass.
#4zUkUuPosted 10/11/2012 2:17:48 PM
gadragod posted...
Do the tutorial, once you've finished a mission or two, start again sans tutorial. I'm not 100% sure what happened, but compared to the morons I had the first time, I have the motherf* dream-team in terms of kicking alien ass.

the tutorial guys have 4 base hp, if you start without they have 5. otherwise you're not forced to invest / do specific stuff at specific times.

I did the tutorial and started newly over too, it somewhat adds to the story... I guess.
#5SpatzimausPosted 10/11/2012 2:18:39 PM
As others have said, play the tutorial once, to see what it's like. Then, restart your game and never use the tutorial again. A non-tutorial game will still have a few missions where it's a bit more verbose on explanations than it should be, but it's a lot faster.

Also, the tutorial kills three of your units, and a non-tutorial game doesn't. And dang it, my Wall of Heroes is going to be the people who died because of MY failures, not people who the game killed for me automatically.
#6VylanAntagonistPosted 10/11/2012 2:19:28 PM
If you are playing on Classic, the tutorial provides a few slight extra edges that can make a timely difference on the strategic layer, particularly the extra satellite.
#7zUkUuPosted 10/11/2012 2:21:30 PM
VylanAntagonist posted...
If you are playing on Classic, the tutorial provides a few slight extra edges that can make a timely difference on the strategic layer, particularly the extra satellite.

you aint get one without tut? just started a non-tut game, then I might reconsider - satellite is of biggest important. tho, then you have weaklings squadwise...
#8Boge(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2012 2:25:45 PM
So how long is the "tutorial"? How long until I'm completely free like the game without the tutorial?
---
Punctuation goes a long way for comprehension.
#9MikeH7186Posted 10/11/2012 2:28:00 PM
Really glad I read this. I only completed the first tutorial mission last night before I went to sleep. Might as well start from scratch and keep as many alive as I can.
#10MikeH7186Posted 10/11/2012 2:33:01 PM
Can't edit my post. How long does the tutorial actually teach you things? Like if I only beat the first mission and haven't played this game before, should I leave it on so I don't mess up my research or things like that? Or pretty much once I beat the first mission and understand movement, it's safe to turn it off?

I'm probably going to play with it on, get an understanding of the game, then remake and have a more optimum game save.