Okay, so, Ironman Classic, need base management help for early-mid game.

#1DisastersaurusPosted 10/11/2012 10:46:14 PM(edited)
Alright, so here's the situation I've got with XCOM. I LOVE the game, but I'm having some issues.

I play on Ironman Classic, and I love the difficulty, but I'm struggling at the same point every time.

I'm pretty good at the field missions. Room for improvement, but I'm working on that.

What my problem is, is the same as I have with Civilization: While I'm great at tactical combat, I SUCK at base management.

My ultimate problem in XCOM is that I do great for the first 1-2 months, and then I simply can't keep up with the required tech.

I always prioritize armor, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do that and capture aliens with any degree of frequency.

About 3 months in, it all starts to fall apart. My guys have carapace armor, but they still have ballistic weapons. I've -MAYBE- researched arc thrower, but can't find the money to build the containment facility -and- get satellites off the ground. THEN I have to worry about upgrades for my interceptors so they can handle the large UFO that comes in month 2!

Long story short , I do great with combat, but I completely fumble the long-term stuff. I've taken down pairs of cyberdiscs with ballistic weapons and no casualties, and cleared the first terror mission 16/18 civilians saved, no losses, all with ballistics...but ask me to juggle a base, and I fall apart.

If anyone has tips about how to manage my resources better, I'd be grateful.
---
Game streams and recordings with commentary!: http://www.twitch.tv/disastersaurus
#2Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2012 10:56:15 PM
Here's some specifics:

I always do alien materials first, to unlock carapace research by the time the UFO mission is done. Then again, I don't RESEARCH carapace for awhile, so maybe I need to push it back?

After that, I tend to do Sectoid Autopsy for the Aim Boost, and Floater autopsy for the dodge boost ASAP.

After that, I start on alien containtment facility stuff.

Most of my money, meanwhile, goes into satellites and uplinks. I try to always be building one uplink and one satellite at a time. Is that overkill?
---
Game streams and recordings with commentary!: http://www.twitch.tv/disastersaurus
#3provettPosted 10/11/2012 11:07:11 PM
^Definitely, one uplink can house 2 sats iirc, and if you build them next to another, you can get another. Then when you get nexus, that's all day.

Personally, I'd aim for interrogations to speed up research, so I'd prioritize sats and thrower.
---
Best Buy sucks so bad, I have to Sig it!
The customer service were stupid & they lied. Don't Buy from Best Buy
#4Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2012 11:09:42 PM
provett posted...
^Definitely, one uplink can house 2 sats iirc, and if you build them next to another, you can get another. Then when you get nexus, that's all day.

Personally, I'd aim for interrogations to speed up research, so I'd prioritize sats and thrower.

If I do this, will my troops be okay? I can't imagine going up against Mutons with no Carapace.
---
#5The_tall_midgetPosted 10/11/2012 11:23:27 PM
Obvious spoilers are obvious :

1. Ignore labs. You should get plenty of scientists from satellite bonuses over nations. If given a reward choice go for $ or engineers (preferably engineers but with $ you can buy an workshop).

2. In insistence to 1. Do NOT ignore engineers. You can NEVER have enough engineers. Getting satellites built along with a satellite nexus + surrounding satellites up-links is CRUCIAL.

3. Europe starter base is underwhelming. Do not need labs. Choose Asia or NA. the first bonus you should unlock (other than your starting region) should be Africa (long term planning). You can pretty much ignore south America for all intent and purpose. But it's an easy 2 country perk so...

4. Launch satellites at the end of the month. If nobody is at panic mode, try to unlock a continent bonus if possible. But go for the richer countries if you can (and engineer bonus if possible). Avoid launching a satellite if you don't have interceptors ready to go right away.

5. Research alien computers ASAP. You NEED that satellite Nexus.

6. Plan your base layout in advance. Your satellite nexus should be under your first satellite unlink and should have room on all sides for up links (1 more satellite PER stations/nexuses). And like mentioned at point 7, plan space for your elerium power station + surroundings.

7. Might sound cheesy but try to get a base with at least a steam spot on level 1-2. A geothermal power station helps a LOT. Make sure to save space next to it for an elerium power plant (which itself will be linked to other plants for MOAR power).

8. Research : Nano vest unlock -> Carapace armor -> Laser weapons -> Game story mode up to alien base. Try to keep the alien base as late as you can to reduce world wide panic levels.

9. Avoid selling floaters corpses. The dodge gizmo for ships is damn nice.

10. Change your interceptors weapon ONE SHIP AT A TIME. I once had the brilliant idea to upgrade my interceptors weapons. Did both at the same time, little alien scout spawned RIGHT away, was forced to ignore it and 2 weeks later a very large ufo spawned at destroyed my satellite and interceptors with impunity. It was horrible.

11. I said it before and I'll say it again, HAVE SATELLITES ready to launch at all time! You never know when things will go south, you'll be forced to choose between abduction sites and have a country or two panic on you in the last days of a month.

12. It goes without saying but don't produce more items and armor than you need. Avoid requests for items which uses alloys/fragments unless you're sitting on a HUGE pile of them.

13. Don't launch a satellite until you have 2 interceptors in that continent to protect them.
---
When you're not sure if you want to go to a family gathering, ask yourself this : would you hang out with these people if you weren't related?
#6provettPosted 10/11/2012 11:23:51 PM
I would think so, with more money comes more chances to to buy newer weapon. If you can go to the stage where you get plasma without laser, I'd skip laser altogether. And if you manage to capture mutons and thinmen alive, you'll be getting quite a few plasmas ready to use as you got them intact.

I think it was the mutons that give you + research on plasma as well. So, given that nothing goes utterly wrong, you should be able to become weapon capable.
---
Best Buy sucks so bad, I have to Sig it!
The customer service were stupid & they lied. Don't Buy from Best Buy
#7Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2012 11:27:24 PM(edited)
The_tall_midget posted...
Obvious spoilers are obvious :

1. Ignore labs. You should get plenty of scientists from satellite bonuses over nations. If given a reward choice go for $ or engineers (preferably engineers but with $ you can buy an workshop).

2. In insistence to 1. Do NOT ignore engineers. You can NEVER have enough engineers. Getting satellites built along with a satellite nexus + surrounding satellites up-links is CRUCIAL.

3. Europe starter base is underwhelming. Do not need labs. Choose Asia or NA. the first bonus you should unlock (other than your starting region) should be Africa (long term planning). You can pretty much ignore south America for all intent and purpose. But it's an easy 2 country perk so...

4. Launch satellites at the end of the month. If nobody is at panic mode, try to unlock a continent bonus if possible. But go for the richer countries if you can (and engineer bonus if possible). Avoid launching a satellite if you don't have interceptors ready to go right away.

5. Research alien computers ASAP. You NEED that satellite Nexus.

6. Plan your base layout in advance. Your satellite nexus should be under your first satellite unlink and should have room on all sides for up links (1 more satellite PER stations/nexuses). And like mentioned at point 7, plan space for your elerium power station + surroundings.

7. Might sound cheesy but try to get a base with at least a steam spot on level 1-2. A geothermal power station helps a LOT. Make sure to save space next to it for an elerium power plant (which itself will be linked to other plants for MOAR power).

8. Research : Nano vest unlock -> Carapace armor -> Laser weapons -> Game story mode up to alien base. Try to keep the alien base as late as you can to reduce world wide panic levels.

9. Avoid selling floaters corpses. The dodge gizmo for ships is damn nice.

10. Change your interceptors weapon ONE SHIP AT A TIME. I once had the brilliant idea to upgrade my interceptors weapons. Did both at the same time, little alien scout spawned RIGHT away, was forced to ignore it and 2 weeks later a very large ufo spawned at destroyed my satellite and interceptors with impunity. It was horrible.

11. I said it before and I'll say it again, HAVE SATELLITES ready to launch at all time! You never know when things will go south, you'll be forced to choose between abduction sites and have a country or two panic on you in the last days of a month.

12. It goes without saying but don't produce more items and armor than you need. Avoid requests for items which uses alloys/fragments unless you're sitting on a HUGE pile of them.

13. Don't launch a satellite until you have 2 interceptors in that continent to protect them.

Ahh this is all great advice, thank you.

One question though: Are Asia and USA really worth it? I tend to pick Africa first for the monthly income.
---
#8Village IdiotPosted 10/11/2012 11:34:30 PM
Recommended Research Path:

Alien Materials --> Carapace
Weaponry --> Lasers
Story up to Alien Base
Laser Cannon

Risky Research Path:

Story --> Arc Thrower
*capture a Sectoid and interogate to reduce Laser research time by 50%*
Lasers

This path is all in. If you fail to capture a Sectoid on your first mission, restart because you've wasted too much time and likely won't have the vital Lasers by the time Mutons/Chrysalids start to show up.

You'll need at least a Laser Cannon as soon as you can afford it because Large UFOs start appearing in IIRC, month 3, and your base Interceptors /w Avalanche Missiles are useless against them.

Make sure to carry an Arc Thrower every mission. If you can get your Support(s) to unlock 2x Inventory, give one to them. Try to capture an Alien whenever possible, and prioritize a Muton because interogating one will double research speed on Plasma-tech, and for their kick ass Plasma Rifles.
---
Actually, since Wedge Antilles > Carriers, and Carriers = Instant win, then it should be Wedge Antilles > Instant win. He's just that good XD -PsionicDude
#9Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2012 11:36:03 PM
Village Idiot posted...
Recommended Research Path:

Weaponry --> Lasers
Story up to Alien Base
Laser Cannon

Risky Research Path:

Story --> Arc Thrower
*capture a Sectoid and interogate to reduce Laser research time by 50%*
Lasers

This path is all in. If you fail to capture a Sectoid on your first mission, restart because you've wasted too much time and likely won't have the vital Lasers by the time Mutons/Chrysalids start to show up.

You'll need at least a Laser Cannon as soon as you can afford it because Large UFOs start appearing in IIRC, month 3, and your base Interceptors /w Avalanche Missiles are useless against them.

Make sure to carry an Arc Thrower every mission. If you can get your Support(s) to unlock 2x Inventory, give one to them. Try to capture an Alien whenever possible, and prioritize a Muton because interogating one will double research speed on Plasma-tech, and for their kick ass Plasma Rifles.

What do you mean by vital? I do fine with ballistics against chryssalids, mutons, and cyberdiscs.
---
#10Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2012 5:14:06 AM
Bump for more tips. Trying to gather as much information as I can before my next Ironman attempt.
---