Okay, so, Ironman Classic, need base management help for early-mid game.

#11rtlrPosted 10/12/2012 5:52:26 AM
I'm not sure if I'm recalling this correctly but I think you can pick off the enemies with snipers get them down to the one you need and then use run and gun from a safe distance combined with the arc thrower for your attack. I rarely captured unless needed so I can't recall.
#12Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2012 5:54:46 AM
rtlr posted...
I'm not sure if I'm recalling this correctly but I think you can pick off the enemies with snipers get them down to the one you need and then use run and gun from a safe distance combined with the arc thrower for your attack. I rarely captured unless needed so I can't recall.

The actual capturing isn't what I have trouble with, I'm good at that. It's balancing the early-game budget and research time of getting carapace armor, laser weapons, satellite uplinks, and alien research.
---
Game streams and recordings with commentary!: http://www.twitch.tv/disastersaurus
#13ZaninPosted 10/12/2012 6:42:11 AM
rtlr posted...

Run & Gun doesn't work with Arc-Thrower
#14happythugPosted 10/12/2012 6:50:09 AM
Ok, I did try Iron-Man/Classic. 5 times. I gave that up and just went through Classic. I'm at the final level about to beat the game, I think I can offer you some really good advice.

FIRST you do not need 2 planes to guard yer sats. NO, The monthly cost is too much! I have never needed more than one Interceptor per area.

Mind your engineers AND scientists. In the beginning you will need more scientists and even a lab or 2! But it is ok to keep it somewhat balanced.

At the start of the month, if you can scrounge the funds. Build a default satellite station and immediately start production on 2 to 3 satellites. Make sure you can always put satellite stations next to eachother. It's pretty worthless just getting two out of them. Do the same with power stations. Power stations and Satellites build from the center column so they can always be easily connected.

Feel free to sell on the grey market. EVERYTHING can go except in the beginning keep your alloys and never sell your weapon fragments. Try to keep a minimum of copses and whatever you can save, but it's not as important as funding your research and satellites.

There is no hurry to start interrogations, you can delay as long as you like, but monsters will progress by month until July, and then they will progress by the story. In July you will start facing disks, They will be hard, but nothing worse should appear until you finish the enemy base mission.

It is ok to loose a couple countries, but try not to loose the ones that give you the most money. Save your Satellites until the end of the month before the council update. 5 or so days before that, deploy them to the countries that need them most and/or the ones that will give you the best rewards. Before they arrive, you should start building 1 interceptor for each place they will go. Know that you do not need an interceptor for every satellite, you only need 1 for each region, total 5. Make sure you keep at least 1 set of expendables handy for your interceptors, and for the beginning of the game equip your interceptors with pheonix cannons. I know the description makes them sound crappy, but they are a good step up from the missiles.

Get ALL OF YOUR BEAM WEAPONS! The critical moment is June and July, if you do not have enough good weapons to kill the enemies, you will lose. During those months, you will need to have everyone equipped with beam weapons if you hope to survive. Rifles/pistols>Precision>Heavy. The research time is really long! Try to capture a sectoid to get a beam-weapon research credit to cut it in half. I didn't capture my sectoid until very late, but I know it would have helped me if I caught him early. Worry about Armor as you can, the Carapace Armor is great and doesn't take long to research. You can skip Skeleton Armor and the Nano Fiber Mesh.

I know you are confident of your strategic combat skills, but I'm going to talk about party setup..

My optimal party setup was, 2 heavies, 2 support, 1 sniper, 1 assault.

Heavies and their rocket-launchers are what is going to save you when things get hard and you don't have enough beam-weapons to be effective. Going down the skill tree when it comes time to get suppression, or the lower damage shredder rocket. GET THE SHREDDER rocket. It's still a massive AOE and it destroys cover very well, not to mention the debuff is quite useful.

Have both support go the healing/movement route, eventually they can carry two items. So even though you might have the stunner for one of them now, you will be able to have a medkit for him later.

Sniper should go the path of having friends see for him, pistols, sight drone. He should also equip a scope. Except in the beginning of a round he should hang back. At the beginning of the round, move him and launch your drone as far as you can. This often starts things off on great footing.

That's all I have room for, but I think that'll set you on the path.
#15Cool_Dude667Posted 10/12/2012 6:56:24 AM
tag
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-6iNzwXEg0
#16raichudlPosted 10/12/2012 7:55:06 AM
good advise.
---
Shut up and bag yourselves!!! -Cody Rhodes
#17ZaninPosted 10/12/2012 8:19:43 AM
Do you guys put scopes on most of your soldiers in the beginning? The accuracy in this difficulty is such bs.
#18Disastersaurus(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2012 8:21:09 AM
Zanin posted...
Do you guys put scopes on most of your soldiers in the beginning? The accuracy in this difficulty is such bs.

No. Grenades are better. Their damage is nothing special, but they can destroy cover easily. This way, instead of a constant +10 aim [which translates to only 10% higher hit percent out of cover, 8% hit in half cover, and 6% in full cover], you get a straight up huge, 30-40%+ chance when you need it.
---
Game streams and recordings with commentary!: http://www.twitch.tv/disastersaurus
#19Yian YanPosted 10/12/2012 5:36:33 PM
I'm on board with Engineer overload. Europe isn't too useless with the 50% off Workshops and Labs. South America's bonus seems underwhelming but if you get it and haven't wasted time on autopsies and interrogations it will let you save a huge amount of time. Workshops and Engineers mean cheaper everything and it's rather useless to research all the good stuff if you can't afford to make any of it.
---
DWO - Wei - from Yong Chang
#20EnragedSlithPosted 10/12/2012 5:59:20 PM
Focus on getting the money rewards early in the game because they, more than anything else, will help you build your base. You can pick up extra Engineers from all those workshops you'll get to build. Start on Africa and cover NA with satellites as soon as you can. For a little breathing room, completely ignore South America.