Any way to get a country back after they leave the X-Com project?

#1unsolidsnakePosted 10/17/2012 8:55:31 PM
Hey guys, this is my first time playing an X-Com game and I have to say it is epic good fun so far, but I'm just wondering if there is any way to get a faction back after they leave?

Also do you guys have any general tips for a newbie?
---
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2026857835.png
#2Kaezar_KazePosted 10/17/2012 8:58:28 PM
No.
---
The most terrifying phrase you'll ever hear in your life is,
"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help you."
#3eharper256Posted 10/18/2012 3:12:19 AM
Nope, they've decided to join the Cult of Sirius and are gone forever. (lol)

If you want to manage panic easier, prioritize getting your 2x2 grid of sat uplinks and sattelites up and running over all other things. That said, in this, as in classic x-com, it is uncommon to get through an entire game without losing at least 1-2 countries, especially in your first playthrough.
---
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the **** has my script?"
#4AtzenkillerPosted 10/20/2012 8:27:10 AM
that's strange cause i got through my 1st playthrough without ever being in danger of losing a country. the most it usually got up to is 3, maybe 4 a few times but now that i've started a new playthrough on easy just to research and build everything. but all of a sudden i have 3 countries at 5 points the whole time, a few at 4 and i don't even get the chance to lower it. are there way fewer missions on easy? i never at any point had any problems with that on normal.
#5wizaerdPosted 10/20/2012 8:34:21 AM
Atzenkiller posted...
that's strange cause i got through my 1st playthrough without ever being in danger of losing a country. the most it usually got up to is 3, maybe 4 a few times but now that i've started a new playthrough on easy just to research and build everything. but all of a sudden i have 3 countries at 5 points the whole time, a few at 4 and i don't even get the chance to lower it. are there way fewer missions on easy? i never at any point had any problems with that on normal.

I thought my game was unique in the sense that I started on Easy to become familiar with the game mechanics. But I had countries on the verge of leaving, and quite a few that did very early on and was never able to recover. And I thought to myself "This is Easy? Really?"
#6wuhooPosted 10/20/2012 8:47:28 AM
If you should lose an entire continent, you may as well transfer any interceptors you have there somewhere else.
#7MooseUpNorthPosted 10/20/2012 8:54:40 AM
Panic is manageable. Sats are the key. Countries with sats are immune to abduction missions. Continents that are entirely satted (and well-defended by interceptors) are nearly immune to panic... so long as you don't fark up the terror missions.
#8AtzenkillerPosted 10/20/2012 9:04:11 AM
MooseUpNorth posted...
Panic is manageable. Sats are the key. Countries with sats are immune to abduction missions. Continents that are entirely satted (and well-defended by interceptors) are nearly immune to panic... so long as you don't fark up the terror missions.

in my game just now it wasn't. like i said i got almost no missions to lower panic levels. might be cause of the lower difficulty, i dunno, and i tried to put all the satellites up as fast as possible but you just don't have enough money and engineers to put them all up early on. i don't see how i could have done anything to avoid it. which is crap
#9MooseUpNorthPosted 10/20/2012 9:23:35 AM
Try starting in Africa for the +30% funding bonus, then filling up North America first (which make interceptors cheaper, freeing up more money for building.)

Also, while most advocate getting as many engineers as possible, as early as possible; in the first month or three, +200cr bonuses for abduction missions are key and are (IMO) preferable to engineers. Filling up North America ASAP corrects the 'can't build a workshop' problem in time to matter. (This paragraph is very arguable.)

Remember that any continent that has sats needs defending with interceptors. If you fail to defend against UFO encounters, you'll lose sats and create more panic than you can deal with. Council missions reduce panic. Make sure you do them.

And remember, you'll be on the ragged edge of losing countries at all time. The trick is in making wise choices where to accept panic and where you absolutely can't. Keep trying, managing conflicting crises is what the early game is all about. That's XCOM. Enjoy the feeling while you can.
#10wizaerdPosted 10/20/2012 9:48:04 AM
Atzenkiller posted...
MooseUpNorth posted...

in my game just now it wasn't. like i said i got almost no missions to lower panic levels. might be cause of the lower difficulty, i dunno, and i tried to put all the satellites up as fast as possible but you just don't have enough money and engineers to put them all up early on. i don't see how i could have done anything to avoid it. which is crap

I tend to agree with this quite a bit. And from reading some of the responses, I'm getting the impression that to be successful, you must build your base "here" and you must research things in "this" specific order which leaves a lot to be desired as far as dynamic-ness of the game. I'm still enjoying it, but as I go through it and play different games it turns into a memorized order of things to do and when to do them. It seem there should have been more varied approaches to "builds" as well as varied approaches on how to best handle and deal with panic levels.