How useful are grenades later in the game? (grenadier vs danger zone)

#1mcah5Posted 10/23/2012 7:44:52 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to pick between the Grenadier and Danger zone talents for the heavy (+1 grenade or bigger rocket explosion radius).

Right now, grenades aren't that useful. I use them to remove cover and that's about it and am thinking about using a S.C.O.P.E instead. Are late-game accessories much better than grenades?

Thanks.
#2MegawizardPosted 10/23/2012 7:52:36 PM
I'd go with Danger Zone; eventually ya get a talent that gives ya 2 rockets to use. And of course the range (for firing) + the new radius is larger, so that's a LOT of destroyed cover and heavier damage. That being said, my Heavy last game still carried a grenade with anyway to use when it was more convenient and save a rocket.
---
^( ' ' )^
#3DrLobotomyPosted 10/23/2012 7:53:00 PM
I avoided grenades after my first run, they aren't as good as a S.C.O.P.E. which affects every single shot you take, extra armor or a mind shield.

Plus, rockets are better at making things explode and I never need that many explosives on a single map anyway.
#4mcah5(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2012 7:56:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Danger zone it is.

The explosion radius feels like overkill for now but it makes the heavy feel really powerful :)
#5damaztaPosted 10/23/2012 8:11:05 PM
Grenades are still useful for destroying enemies' cover and depleting enemies' health by a fixed amount for capturing purposes, but they're kind of redundant on a Heavy.
---
old english is english written in the 1800s+ but seeing that i am english i know that where as you are probably american so you would not know that-Psyco Monkey
#6EnragedSlithPosted 10/23/2012 9:19:42 PM
damazta posted...
Grenades are still useful for destroying enemies' cover and depleting enemies' health by a fixed amount for capturing purposes, but they're kind of redundant on a Heavy.

Heavies are most effective when specialized, so they're typically either going to be built to suppress the enemy or blow things up. The latter will want as many explosives as possible because they shouldn't be firing their main gun. I find that an extra grenade is a little more consistently useful than bigger rockets in this case. You should also consider that the larger area of effect is not always a good thing.
#7BhelliumPosted 10/23/2012 9:34:33 PM
Grenades are anti-cover/guaranteed damage late game. 5 damage is nothing after the Alien Base, but destroying cover and weakening them for a capture can be key.
---
P&L: Deal w/it
Cookie if you get the reference
#8HypereiaPosted 10/23/2012 9:40:18 PM
Danger Zone, no doubt. You'll tear through cover and enemies like hell with it.
---
Steam/BF3: Hypereia | FFXIV: Valroque Allard (Excalibur)
i7 3820 (G1.ASSASSIN2) | GTX 680 | 16GB DDR3 | Sandisk Ext.
#9GaizokubanouPosted 10/23/2012 10:08:04 PM
Still useful for dedicated cover busting heavy because as awesome as danger zone is, it's not normal to pull that many groups at once that you really need that wide splash range of danger zone.

But if you are not sure about it, just go with danger zone, it is a safer choice.
#10angryjohnny0502Posted 10/24/2012 2:29:55 PM
I like to keep my Heavy up close to the front line if not the front line so I personaly like that extra grenade to blow up cover plus dont forget the Double damage against robotic foes when you take HEAT Ammo.