How does overwatch even work?

#1EnragedSlithPosted 10/28/2012 5:26:42 AM
I've played quite a bit of this game and I still don't understand. I keep seeing enemies move into firing range while my soldiers are overwatched and not triggering any reaction fire. Then they crit me in the face.
#2Kaezar_KazePosted 10/28/2012 5:29:44 AM
Not likely. Unless they flank you (i.e. came up from behind).
---
The most terrifying phrase you'll ever hear in your life is,
"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help you."
#3Priss_LancePosted 10/28/2012 5:32:35 AM
Overwatch is quite reliable to me: if an enemy moves within firing range and within Line-Of-Sight, overwatched troops will fire on them. However, the exception is when enemies edge into a tile within your line of sight but not move any more than that, in which case Overwatch won't activate (you can also use this move yourself against overwatched enemies).
---
"Warriors of fate, you shall dance bravely. Use your golden wings, and fly to the skies. "
#4f_ranz1224Posted 10/28/2012 5:44:39 AM
either glitch or flank

overwatch works great for me, especially in classic, move everyone one turns worth, if no enemies are spotted, turn everyone to oversight

the second an enemy walks into sight, every available man takes a shot, almost seems cheap

but yeah, if they walk into range, they should fire

did you check your ammo?
---
everyone in this world is good for something. Even the worst human being is the BEST example of what NOT to be
#5Kaezar_KazePosted 10/28/2012 5:45:36 AM
Can't overwatch if you're out of ammo.
---
The most terrifying phrase you'll ever hear in your life is,
"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help you."
#6EnragedSlith(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2012 6:29:16 AM
I didn't mean to suggest I was a complete newbie. I've got a Classic Ironman under my belt and a few failed attempts. On further inspection, I think what's going on is that overwatch doesn't trigger on movement into the final space. For example, if you've got an operative overwatching a door with a wall obscuring your vision, an enemy can get into firing range without triggering reaction fire as long as he stays outside of your vision and ends his movement on the first space you can target.

diagram:

......O....
XXXXX...XXX

O - operative
X - wall
. - open space

When an enemy moves from space 1 to 2, overwatch is not triggered as his movement was obscured. If the enemy crosses the opening from 2 to 3, overwatch is triggered.

Maybe this seems obvious to some of you, but I've been assuming that overwatch would trigger the moment an enemy moved into your line of sight. I've lost a few operatives because this is apparently not the case.
#7ReeNoiPPosted 10/28/2012 6:30:36 AM
Note that most soldiers only get one reaction shot per overwatch. So if 2 enemies move within sight you only get to shoot at one.
---
---
#8BhelliumPosted 10/28/2012 6:32:17 AM
Sounds like you understand plenty. Only thing that gets around it are the occasional glitches like loss of los or teleportation.
---
P&L: Deal w/it
Cookie if you get the reference
#9pvrhyePosted 10/28/2012 7:35:51 AM
Overwatch works a bit like D&D attacks of opportunity. It's movement through a watched space, not movement into a watched space.